Injury Report: The Bandaid Brigade - Flames Injuries 2018/19 Season

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Here's a rad idea. When Valimaki comes back, play Kylington at wing for a few games to see how he fares. His skating is elite and he appears to have good offensive instincts. If a D goes down you have more flexibility. It worked for Big Buff, why not here?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here's a rad idea. When Valimaki comes back, play Kylington at wing for a few games to see how he fares. His skating is elite and he appears to have good offensive instincts. If a D goes down you have more flexibility. It worked for Big Buff, why not here?

I actually had the same thought. It would be interesting.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Interesting. Very interesting. I like it.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
The update from GM Brad Treliving on injured players Michael Stone and Juuso Valimaki: “not close”.

Says Stone is progressing, but emphasizes it’s a long way back.

Valimaki dealing with a high ankle sprain. Pinpoints later in January as a realistic return. #Flames

Will Nault @Fan960Nault
#Flames GM Brad Treliving on with us today. Quick injury updates on Michael Stone and Juuso Valimaki but both aren't close to returning at this time. Obviously with the blood clot, there's more grey area on Stone and a potential return to action.

Will Nault @Fan960Nault
Treliving on Valimaki: "He's dealing with a high-ankle sprain. It's not a good injury, it was a significant sprain. He's going to need some time yet, he's been progressing and doing all of his rehab. I would guess the third week of January might be a target." #Flames

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
The update from GM Brad Treliving on injured players Michael Stone and Juuso Valimaki: “not close”.

Says Stone is progressing, but emphasizes it’s a long way back.

Valimaki dealing with a high ankle sprain. Pinpoints later in January as a realistic return. #Flames

Will Nault @Fan960Nault
#Flames GM Brad Treliving on with us today. Quick injury updates on Michael Stone and Juuso Valimaki but both aren't close to returning at this time. Obviously with the blood clot, there's more grey area on Stone and a potential return to action.

Will Nault @Fan960Nault
Treliving on Valimaki: "He's dealing with a high-ankle sprain. It's not a good injury, it was a significant sprain. He's going to need some time yet, he's been progressing and doing all of his rehab. I would guess the third week of January might be a target." #Flames
The Flames are one defense injury away from having a significant impact on our fine d-core.
I really wish Treliving hadn't traded Brett Kulak. I thought it was a mistake when he did it and I'm even more convinced now.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
While having Kulak's experience would be ideal, even Wotherspoon's, the Flames do have some choices left on the farm. Young Adam Ollas Mattsson is playing well, Rob Hamilton is as well. And don't underestimate Prout.

We'd suffer a bit, but I'm guessing whoever is on the top 4 would be playing big minutes.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
uuugggggghhhhhhh!!!

Rititch day to day

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled goaltender Jon Gillies from the Stockton Heat of the American Hockey League as David Rittich will not play tonight in Detroit and is day-to-day with a lower body injury.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Rittich is out?

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Also, high ankle sprain injuries are notorious for having a long recovery time. So even if Valimaki is ready to play by February, he probably won't be himself until next season. So I get why Treliving wants some left handed defensive depth even though it feels like Lebrun trots out that line every season.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I half expected Smith to get the start anyways... so I hope BSD isn't too banged up.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Rittich was shown stretching his right leg during the last game, kinda like testing how it feels

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
uuugggggghhhhhhh!!!

Rititch day to day

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled goaltender Jon Gillies from the Stockton Heat of the American Hockey League as David Rittich will not play tonight in Detroit and is day-to-day with a lower body injury.

You could see Rittich was having issues through the San Jose game by stretching out almost every commercial time out so this should not be a big surprise. I know most of you hate the idea of Smith starting but the best thing for the Flames would be for him to find his game and return to the form he started last season. Mike Smith when he is on is better than Rittich.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Wes Gilbertson tweets that the Flames are hinting the injury isn't too serious. It makes me wonder if their just giving Ritter a day off for recuperation.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Rittich wasn’t great the last 2 games. If he is injured, I’d rather see Smith start the next 2. We need Rittich healthy down the stretch and I’d rather not have him trying to play through injury.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Friedman saying the Flames are worried that Valimaki won't return to full form in his 31 thoughts.

Quote:
3. Alright, let’s move on. Calgary GM Brad Treliving said defenceman Juuso Valimaki is out until at least late January with a high-ankle sprain. The 20-year-old is a tremendous talent with an excellent future, but the Flames wonder what this means for a return to full speed in 2018-19. They are looking at left-handed options for the blue line.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
High ankle sprain... LOL
With an ankle sprain they go into such detail, yet with a concussion they'll say its an "Upper Body" injury. So funny. So secretive sometimes.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Any word on Rittich yet? I'm still laughing about Smith being our X factor this year, I remember thinking it'll all come down to him. Treliving has got to see this as being a contending year and he's playing favorites with the corpse of Mike Smith. We need a new goalie in the worst way!

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Any word on Rittich yet? I'm still laughing about Smith being our X factor this year, I remember thinking it'll all come down to him. Treliving has got to see this as being a contending year and he's playing favorites with the corpse of Mike Smith. We need a new goalie in the worst way!
It’s not really that simple though. Smith would have to be moved and I can’t see many teams having that much interest. Rittich has been pretty solid, I think we just have to put our faith in him for this year.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
You could see Rittich was having issues through the San Jose game by stretching out almost every commercial time out so this should not be a big surprise. I know most of you hate the idea of Smith starting but the best thing for the Flames would be for him to find his game and return to the form he started last season. Mike Smith when he is on is better than Rittich.

I think I might be better when I'm "on" than the current version of Mike Smith.

Having played the position for the better part of 40 years, I know exactly where he is at right now.

When the mojo isn't working everything that comes at you ends up in the net.

It's a horrible feeling.....it's something you have to work through unfortunately.

The problem is, my men's league team gets pissed off at me when I go through those doldrums!

Can't imagine the pressure on Smith right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad