Injury Report: The Bandaid Brigade - Flames Injuries 2018/19 Season

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
do we have injury updates?
Backlund is on IR so soonest he will return is Saturday. I caught something on the radio earlier that suggested it's more serious than they hoped?

Sounds like Stone is skating again, but he's still listed as indefinite.

Valimaki is week to week. So figure January at the soonest.

Frolik is still officially day to day with the lower body injury, but he's also on IR.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Could really use Backlund but I also don’t want to rush him coming back.

The thought did cross my mind after the Wild game that if he was really out for any lengthy amount of time, it wouldn't be a bad thing since it would give his hand a chance to heal, assuming the speculation was and is correct.

But man, our lineups look weird with him missing from the roster.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Valimaki potentially being out till January could be a partial blessing. I've liked Kylington more in the limited viewing we've had of him here. Even if they return Kylington once Valimaki's healthy, it gives him an extended stint in the NHL to build on through this season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If Valimaki is out for a long time, I'd be surprised if they didn't send him to the AHL, at least for a while (assuming no other injuries) when he returns. He'll need to get back into game shape.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
The Valimaki vs Kylington talk is not a huge deal. Just saying that I agree that it's been valuable for Kylington and the Flames organization to get a longer look in the NHL at OK58.

Actually if you think about where the Flames defence stood on Sept 10th, back then Valimaki was getting high praise and looking every bit the blue chip prospect that he was drafted to be.

Valimaki's stock today is no lower. He's done great etc., He's looking to be everything we thought he was, if not sooner....BUT what the time period of Sept-Dec has taught us is dang Rasmus Andersson is legit. I think we've all enjoyed seeing Rasmus improve throughout the season. And now with how Kylington has looked the last few games it's amazing the young depth we have.

Back in Sept our 20-22 year old D that looked like slam dunk top 4 dmen were Hanifin and Valimaki. Now I 100% add Andersson to that without concern. His growth has been that impressive in the last couple of months. And I'd almost say that Kylington has 80% convinced me that not only is he an NHL dman in waiting, but perhaps he even has Top 4 upside too.

Perhaps both of their developments are not too surprising, but you aren't suppose to hit on every young d prospect. and developing all 3 of Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington almost seemed to be an unrealistic ask. I suppose it stems from a lot of years of hoping that Ryan Howse would be a scorer or Kulak or Culkin would be top 4 D...and consistently being disappointed when who you thought would be the next Doug Gilmour turned into the next Clarke Wilm.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but yah, it's hard not to be excited about our young D. And one more thing about Rasmus. Brodie and he looked okay with Gio suspended. But just like Hamilton looked great with Gio and Brodie has been great with Gio, I think if for whatever reason Giordano -Andersson stayed a pairing for 20 games or so, we'd be talking about Andersson as a top pairing D. And sure Gio is a big reason for that, but this also says a lot of Andersson who didn't make the team (let alone Kylington) on opening day.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Ryan Howse would be a scorer
Man, back in those days I was so much more excited for Roman Horak (who I felt was a huge reason Howse was so successful in Chilliwack). Fun note though, Howse is an assistant coach in the BCHL now (or was last season).

But you are right about
Anyway, sorry for the rant, but yah, it's hard not to be excited about our young D. And one more thing about Rasmus. Brodie and he looked okay with Gio suspended. But just like Hamilton looked great with Gio and Brodie has been great with Gio, I think if for whatever reason Giordano -Andersson stayed a pairing for 20 games or so, we'd be talking about Andersson as a top pairing D. And sure Gio is a big reason for that, but this also says a lot of Andersson who didn't make the team (let alone Kylington) on opening day.
Ras has been absolutely great this season. He's done a lot of the small things right, and it's definitely a matter of time before it starts showing on the scoreboard. He's making some good passes, some good pinches, I've seen him make some hits that resulted in others getting the free puck and scoring (but he never touched the puck after taking the man, so no point). He looked good with Gio early when Brodie was struggling (though it's hard not to look good with Gio), but he also looks good with Brodie (who has struggled to elevate others like Gio does) so it really shows that Ras just looks good. Hell, he's looked good with Vali, and with Kyl as well. The only one he hasn't looked good with that he's had a fair bit of time with is Prout, but that's been the case for everyone.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Andersson is a RHS younger version of Giordano. This kid is going to be with us a long time. I really think the real depth our team is enjoying right now is on D (not so much on the farm). We have 4 young d-men on the roster (Hanifin 21, Andersson 22, Valimaki 20, Kylington 21) where one (Andersson) has outright taken a spot from a veteran (Stone), one (Valimaki) arguably caused the trading of a 3rd year player (Kulak) and one (Kylington) has stepped in admirably for an injury (Valimaki). Hanifin is making no one notice the absence of a top 2 D Hamilton who is now ancient at age 25.

Then we have younger players that have made it hard to place a guy like Michael Frolik who is on the IR, but not to worry, the Flames have a Mangiapane that can step in. About the only spot that the Flames have covered off adequately is at 2C. Personally I think 22 year old Bennett might be that guy in the short term or even 25 year old Czarnik. The Flames also have a player that was demoted this year - 23 year old Curtis Lazar who by all accounts is playing very well at centre.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Khrox

May 31, 2018
23 year old Curtis Lazar who by all accounts is playing very well at centre.
I think he's tied with Quine for second on Heat in scoring (he also has 3 shorthanded goals this year, 2 multi-goal games, and has become a clutch player for the Heat). All in all, Lazar is definitely responding the right way on the farm, and the one interview of his I've seen, he still seems to be that positive all-smiles guy we got. Hopefully this pays off for him (and the Flames if he re-signs at a similar contract) in the long-run.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think Curtis was given a chance to play C either in Ottawa or here. The Flames insisted on playing Stajan or Freddie Hamilton or Shore at C and the kid was shunted to RW where he would be pushed aside every now and again by Hathaway or Brouwer or Versteeg. That can't be good for your confidence or how the team views you. Fast forward to this year. The Flames bring in UFA's C/RW Ryan, RW/C Czarnik, and LW/RW Neal and acquire another top 6 RW/C Lindholm. The depth is awesome and Lazar would be hard pressed to get time in let alone at C.

So, he tells the club it'd be ok if he goes down. The smile never leaves his face. He's having fun. He is a leader on the Heat's team. And above all he is learning and developing at his preferred position at centre. And that is good, because I personally think the kid will be good once he returns to the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Kinda OT and speculation, but Frida Backlund just posted tickets to St Paul Minnesota on her instagram. Maybe insight that Backs is travelling with the team and could be back soonish?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Kinda OT and speculation, but Frida Backlund just posted tickets to St Paul Minnesota on her instagram. Maybe insight that Backs is travelling with the team and could be back soonish?

That would be fantastic!

Whenever I have my parents season tickets I always see her get helped to her seat with their cute baby.

Reactions: Janks

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
So Smith might be injured.
Smith got tied up with Philly's Couturier and Hamonic in the first and was forced to be extra flexible doing the forward splits. When he went to get up it took him a couple as he appeared to favor the left leg. Smith likely thought it was a minor tweak until it started to stiffen up which you could see in the fourth goal. He likely tweaked a groin (Left by the way the fourth goal went) so who knows how long he could be out.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If Smitty has been hurt we can't ride Ritter all the way. Gillies has been playing well of late in the AHL with a less than optimum team in front of him. Plus the Flames will need to get a final read on the kid with the hopes he still have value to the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad