OT: The Avalounge's Official Game of Thrones Thread WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
You do know the main plot points in the show are still from GRRM right? He told them how the series ends. It's all the filler that's coming from the producers.

We dont know for certain that this is true. Yes GRRM told them how it ends, but that doesn't mean they actually used everything GRRM told them.

The showrunners did an interview a little while ago talking about Jon Snow and mentioned how they didn't feel like it was the right fit for him to be the hero of the show when all is said and done (paraphrasing obviously). They emphasized what THEY thought should happen and who THEY thought were the true heroes.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they diverted from what GRRM told them. I think Dany going mad was always the ending GRRM had for that plotline. The show just did it terrbly. But it wouldn't shock me if they changed a bunch of other stuff because they got too big for their britches.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
And Martin has said that the show's ending will have the same ending for the "major points" that he told D&D years ago. The variations will be there, of course, because D&D didn't use everything from the books (Lady Stoneheart, for example), and Martin will almost assuredly include more than what D&D wrote.

But Martin has said that the primary ending will be the same.

Source: Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams on Game of Thrones Finale: Cover Story – Rolling Stone

Benioff and Weiss had to carve their own course for the past couple of seasons, after outpacing Martin’s writing. “I’ve been so slow with these books,” Martin says, with palpable pain. “The major points of the ending will be things I told them five or six years ago. But there may also be changes, and there’ll be a lot added.”

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
So in other words the writers knew the ending for 6 years and still failed to come up with a reasonable way to get there, brilliant.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So in other words the writers knew the ending for 6 years and still failed to come up with a reasonable way to get there, brilliant.

Yes and no.

I mean there was always going to be deviations, even if they wanted to remain 100% faithful to the books it wasn't going to happen in 10 episodes per season. They'd need both more episodes AND more seasons to do that. Books and movies/TV shows are just two different storytelling mediums.

So obviously most people were cool with that because the adaptation had been good (and Martin had been writing 1 script per season until S4 or S5).

That said, yeah D&D's plan to finish everything up has left lots to be desired. If they were absolutely determined to finish in 74 episodes, they should have started honing in on the end before last season. They left themselves too little time to finish everything up.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
GRRM gave them a skeleton.

They fleshed it out to look like

THIS
lc4fj.jpg

instead of THIS
preview-6210455-650x341-98-1508149182.jpg

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
And Martin has said that the show's ending will have the same ending for the "major points" that he told D&D years ago. The variations will be there, of course, because D&D didn't use everything from the books (Lady Stoneheart, for example), and Martin will almost assuredly include more than what D&D wrote.

But Martin has said that the primary ending will be the same.

Source: Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams on Game of Thrones Finale: Cover Story – Rolling Stone

I remember reading this but I also remember watching something with GRRM where he discussed how their will be debates as to which ending is better, the books or the show. So who the hell knows whats going on behind the scenes.

Its kind of moot anyways. The plot itself isn't the issue with the show right now. The subpar, extremely rushed writing is. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending to the knight king storyline but it would be easier to forgive if the entire show was still really well written instead of the dumpster fire it has become.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I absolutely hated the last season and especially the last episode....

But god damn I'd be lying if I said I wasn't an emotional wreck at the end. 8 years and 73 episodes and we 2ont get another new episode again.

God damn

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I really wish I felt something other than disappointment after all of the investment I made into this series. Props to you guys who can get over the flaws and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: madman

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Man, considering that both Jon & Tyrion betrayed Dany, Jon hella got thrown under the bus.

Of course, he seemed happy in the end, to be with the Free Folk, but shit...

Really not sure what I think about the episode yet. A lot is going through my mind, so I’m trying not to let initial emotional reactions cement my thoughts.

I’ll say this though—it’s a WAY better finale than How I Met Your Mother...

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Man, considering that both Jon & Tyrion betrayed Dany, Jon hella got thrown under the bus.

Of course, he seemed happy in the end, to be with the Free Folk, but ****...

Really not sure what I think about the episode yet. A lot is going through my mind, so I’m trying not to let initial emotional reactions cement my thoughts.

Jon deserved better. He deserved the throne. I didnt like that snake ass move though seems so not like him to do something like that. He cried more when Ygritte died. Shit I even cried when Ygritte got it and f*** Olly.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Of course, he seemed happy in the end, to be with the Free Folk, but ****...

Yeah... I read the spoilers after episode 3 because I was that pissed off with how The Night King died that I thought I didn't care about the show.

I then proceeded to build up more and more emotional hatred towards the ending as each episode played out and the ridiculousness of everything played out.

But watching it all come together in the last episode and how characters arcs finally ended hit me in an unexpected way. I still disagree with a tonne of the final season and overall it was no question the weakest season. But Yeah I am very sad it's all over and generally I am happy to see the Starks make out as well as they did.

I'm in shock still that it's all over. I was not ready for this.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
I thought it was a pretty good finale considering what the previous 5 episodes set up.

I think my criticism is the same as many people's. Season felt rushed. Character decisions didn't make sense. I would have been happy with most of the same outcomes had it been fleshed out over a full 10 episodes or another whole season instead of crammed into 6.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Really wish there was a Season 9 to be honest. I dont know how to feel about this episode yet. Just kinda sitting here going...thats it? Thats who? And where the **** did Drogon peace out to?

My girlfriend said that “this ending seems like a set up for the spinoffs”. Don’t think I could agree more.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
I think my criticism is the same as many people's. Season felt rushed. Character decisions didn't make sense. I would have been happy with most of the same outcomes had it been fleshed out over a full 10 episodes or another whole season instead of crammed into 6.

This is 100% how I feel.

I don't really dislike any of the actual plot points. Wasn't a fan of Arya killing the night king and so easily ending that storyline. But whatever.

Not a huge fan of Bran being name king either. Doesnt seem to make sense for his character.

But those could be forgiven or maybe even embraced if the storylines were fully developed and fleshed out like previous seasons. The show just "feels" different this season. Last season too but especially this one.

Left me feeling pretty hollow at the end. Jon killing Dany shouldve been heartbreaking and I felt absolutely nothing. This is the same show that did such a good job leading to the red wedding that it effected me so much that ive never watched that episode again.

I felt nothing for any character this season. And I think that's because the show feels like a different show and had zero character development. Its tough to have an emotional response when the characters don't seem "real" anymore.

I'm honestly glad it's over. It kind of tainted the show for me overall but ill still be able to watch previous seasons and enjoy them. And the Lord of the Rings Amazon series isn't too far off so hopefully that fills the fantasy void for myself and other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad