OT: The Avalounge's Official Game of Thrones Thread WARNING SPOILERS INSIDE

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Not sure. But it’d make sense to make a spin-off following Arya in her travels and a spin-off for whatever Jon ends up doing ruling past the wall.

Definitely did have the feel of setting up spinoffs. But that's also the way a lot of fantasy series end. They leave the viewer or reader with some open storylines so they can kind of imagine where the characters go from here.

Definitely won't be shocked if we hear that an Arya spin-off happens though. I have a feeling we won't see a Jon one unless they back a couple dumptrucks full of money to his driveway. Kit Harrington seems to be sick of playing the character and has even started talking some smack recently.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Didn't hate it didn't love it. Like others have said if it was fleshed out over 10 episodes I could have got on board because overall I didn't have many issues with the plot but rather the quick jumps to get there. The example that keeps getting brought up is Sansa telling Tyrion about Jon. They could have shown her reaction to Jon and then her conversation with Tyrion. It would have fleshed it out more and filled in some of the holes.

I would be interested to rewatch it all though in a few years though one after the other. Watching the entire show that way may make some of the decisions easier to swallow because the characters are already fleshed out enough before hand. (like Danny)

Peter Dinklage saved the episode for me though. Thought he was fantastic in this one.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It's finally over, 2 terrible seasons that killed the legacy of the show all because of fan fiction level writing. At least the first 4 seasons are wonderful.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
My girlfriend and I cheered when Jon killed her. It was a good moment.

But otherwise didn't feel like a Got episode. Too many people lived after killing her and too many random things happened. I still wish Sansa didn't make it, not a fan of what she became.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I love this gif from Game of Thrones:
giphy.gif

Heeeheheheheheheheheheeee!

I'll stop now. There's a mod in this thread.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If any of you noticed I unfollowed you on twitter last night, don’t take it personal. I’m
Just kind of shocked that this day in age people still post spoilers on social media about a television show when it’s quite obvious that everyone hasn’t caught up yet.

And yes, simply posting the name of a character is a spoiler when it’s a show where so many people die.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So after thinking about it last night and this morning...

The episode itself had some beautiful moments. I loved how Tyrion pointed out to Jon all the things we'd been saying were Dany's foreshadowed turn, but they cheered her because she was doing it to horrible people--but she still did those things.

At first I was like "f*** this bull-shit lol" when Bran was becoming King, but then I thought...DAMN, he knew all along that he would become King. He played everyone since becoming the 3ER. Which brings up another point: he might be just as awful as Cersei and Dany. If we follow the belief that he knew he would become King, then he knew how that would happen, and he allowed Dany to do it all.

Like...that's some ultimate puppet-master stuff there.

(Also, unless he re-followed me this morning, @Cousin Eddie didn't unfollow me on Twitter last night, our love knows no spoiler-y bounds)

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
there was the scene where grey worm was executing those dudes and jon makes the long walk from there all the way up the stairs. and all the sudden grey worm is at the top of the stairs before jon wtf. so cringy. that kind of lack of attention to detail killed the show for me and is the big difference imo from GRRM and the D's

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If those major plot points came from GRRM at least I don't have to worry about him finishing the books anymore. So many pointless storylines. I've been a big GoT fan before the show was even announced and, knowing GoT isn't your happy-ever-after storyline, I'm pretty disappointed.

Reactions: madman

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Still feeling quite torn about the finale...when I think about Jon looking like he finally achieved that inner peace he had been searching for when he arrived at Castle Black and saw all the Free Folk and Ghost, I am happy and satisfied for his ending.

Then I remember that he was actually Aegon Targaryen, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, someone who truly wanted to do no harm and only lifted his sword when the situation called for it, and no one seems to want to talk about that at that Council at the end, and then I get a bit upset at how it ended.

Reactions: madman

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
L + R = J fueled a ton of the books and the show. And in the end it’s only plot purpose was to push Dany over the edge. I wish I could go back and tell the teenage me not to care so much.

Reactions: Avs_19

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Jon’s fate was fitting and the perfect antithesis of the fairy tale trope of what is to become of the hero of the story if he lives to see the end of it. Azor Ahai promised a prince who would bring salvation through great sacrifice. It didn’t promise a glorious leader who would take humanity into a new golden age.

It’s not GRRM or the Double D’s fault that most of us bought into the image of something much more glorious and epic at the end. GRRM is trolling the whole notion of how these fantasy epics end for the hero. And let’s face it, Jon would be a terrible full-time leader. He sucks at tactics and he’s not a decisive decision maker.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
there was the scene where grey worm was executing those dudes and jon makes the long walk from there all the way up the stairs. and all the sudden grey worm is at the top of the stairs before jon wtf. so cringy. that kind of lack of attention to detail killed the show for me and is the big difference imo from GRRM and the D's
Yes! Thank you! On top of the major flaws, it's these minor but plentiful inconsistencies that go a long way to tainting this final season. That literally made no sense when I was watching it. Same with Arya riding off on a horse at the end of episode 5 and suddenly the horse vanished at the beginning of episode 6. Take the two seconds and show her getting off her horse. Take the two seconds and show Grey Worm passing Jon on a horse to get to Dany first. These minor cracks in the foundation become major cracks, and they're all so avoidable and easy to fix if the people behind the show actually still gave a shit about the show.

Reactions: Grackle Party

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Yes! Thank you! On top of the major flaws, it's these minor but plentiful inconsistencies that go a long way to tainting this final season. That literally made no sense when I was watching it. Same with Arya riding off on a horse at the end of episode 5 and suddenly the horse vanished at the beginning of episode 6. Take the two seconds and show her getting off her horse. Take the two seconds and show Grey Worm passing Jon on a horse to get to Dany first. These minor cracks in the foundation become major cracks, and they're all so avoidable and easy to fix if the people behind the show actually still gave a **** about the show.

You mean like the water bottle behind the dude's foot at the end of the episode? Or the coffee cup still on stage during the celebration scene?

Minor problems.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
You mean like the water bottle behind the dude's foot at the end of the episode? Or the coffee cup still on stage during the celebration scene?

Minor problems.
Absolutely that's what I mean. When you show in the final season you don't care about the show you've built up over 7 seasons prior, then fans aren't going to sing your praises. Pretty simple. If D&D expected a different reaction from millions of people, then they've been kidding themselves this entire time.

Reactions: Grackle Party

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Jon’s fate was fitting and the perfect antithesis of the fairy tale trope of what is to become of the hero of the story if he lives to see the end of it. Azor Ahai promised a prince who would bring salvation through great sacrifice. It didn’t promise a glorious leader who would take humanity into a new golden age.

It’s not GRRM or the Double D’s fault that most of us bought into the image of something much more glorious and epic at the end. GRRM is trolling the whole notion of how these fantasy epics end for the hero. And let’s face it, Jon would be a terrible full-time leader. He sucks at tactics and he’s not a decisive decision maker.
Having Jon become the rightful ruler of the 7 (well 6) Kingdoms would have been too happy an ending. Its the ending I wanted so naturally it wasnt going to happen.

Reactions: BKarchitect

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Having Jon become the rightful ruler of the 7 (well 6) Kingdoms would have been too happy an ending. Its the ending I wanted so naturally it wasnt going to happen.

I didn’t want him to necessarily end up on the Iron Throne, but he absolutely got thrown under the bus by everyone.

Tyrion used him to kill Dany (of course he was already questioning it, but Tyrion’s words and ask played a big role in it).

I would have been happy with him just being the King in the North.

That doesn’t even get in to the fact that him being a Targaryen doesn’t seem to really play any role in the end. I could defend certain things in the past because we didn’t know how things would play out. But Jon....uggghhh.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Maybe Viserys? He got his crown of gold, after all.

Yeah, that was good, I forgot about that. And I was walking my dogs the other night when I realized the most "satisfying" death for sure was Petyr Baelish. Killed by the same dagger he used to frame Tyrion (boy did that little trinket end up being important to the plot), left there on his knees begging for his life, the same as when he foolishly challenged Brandon Stark to a duel.

Anyway, I should amend my earlier point. So yes, there were some satisfying deaths in Game of Thrones, but I think it's a bad thing if all the Big Bads get their "comeuppance". That IMO would have rung hollow had everyone gotten what was coming to them.

In the end, everyone left standing got something they needed even if they didn't get what they wanted.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Well it's all over. I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. Which is a win a guess. It's been a fun ride everyone, disappointing in the end, but fun none the less.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jon sacrificed the one thing he had left--his honor--to save the realm. He was far too broken to be a proper king, and everyone knew it. He was sent to the only place where he had any measure of peace, purpose, or happiness. I was secretly hoping he was leaving with the wildlings and never coming back to Castle Black, where he could do whatever he wanted and take a wife and have a family and f*** anyone who told him otherwise.

And it didn't matter that he was the last of the Targaryens because it shouldn't have mattered. That was the whole "breaking of the wheel" that Daenerys spoke of, but wasn't willing at all to actually pull off since what she really wanted was for the wheel to stop at her. Jon was brought back from the dead to serve a purpose (kill Dany) and he did just that.

I was somewhat disappointed that my prediction of someone (Jon or Dany) taking up the role of the Night King didn't come to pass. I felt like there always had to be someone like that in the North as some kind of balance or whatever, but...I suppose not.

Anyway, I totally can see why people took exception to this season and the resolution of this story. It did indeed feel rushed and there were some real stumbles in terms of the writing. But I loved the actors and their respective performances so very much that they transcended the occasionally choppy, uneven writing. The one real, true pratfall they couldn't fix was the Sand Snakes and Dorne. That was just awful from beginning to end and they knew it, so they served up those characters to be dealt with in quick fashion by Euron and swept them under the proverbial rug.

Glad to see Edmure Tully didn't seem too much worse for wear (and was still every bit as buffoonish) after being a prisoner all these years. Dude gets to be lord of two major houses and is married to a gorgeous (albeit alarmingly young--but hey, it's the Middle Ages so...shrug) wife so he probably got the happiest ending of them all.

The one thing I would've changed is that Jon should have left Longclaw with Sansa. It should've stayed with them...but whatever, that's a minor quibble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad