OT: The Avalounge: Winner in Post Count, Loser in Other Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
So, I watched Black Snake Moan the other day, just because I was familiar with this pic:

10-samuel-l-jackson-black-snake-moan-compressed.jpg

It was a good movie.

~*~

I just now watched Gran Torino just because of this gif:

8qW00.gif

It was a good movie.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Weighting a job offer... less money, but far different, likely more rewarding career path (a ton more risk too... year to year contracts). Sometimes being an adult sucks.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Changing jobs is terrifying, especially when you have a significant other to support. I did it last year and it was a great decision, but I was also miserable in my old position. The new job is super risky though and no guarantee of a paycheck.

A pay cut isn't a huge deal, as long as it's not a big one, if you're just plain happier.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Changing jobs is terrifying, especially when you have a significant other to support. I did it last year and it was a great decision, but I was also miserable in my old position. The new job is super risky though and no guarantee of a paycheck.

A pay cut isn't a huge deal, as long as it's not a big one, if you're just plain happier.

The pay cut is a bit over 20%, but I'd still make enough to be plenty comfortable. My biggest issue with the job is the risk. Year to year contracts and no guarantee of it being stable at all.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I think the only film that left me more depressed and exhausted than Requiem was Love Liza. I can't ever watch either of those films again.

I haven't seen Love Liza, but Trainspotting, and Party Animal are both pretty rough too. Really any movie involving substance abuse/dependence hits home a little too hard for me seeing as one of my best friends overdosed on heroin a couple summers ago

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The pay cut is a bit over 20%, but I'd still make enough to be plenty comfortable. My biggest issue with the job is the risk. Year to year contracts and no guarantee of it being stable at all.

It sounds like you have a set of job skills that would allow you to find another solid job should this new opportunity not work out. That might mitigate the risk a bit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It sounds like you have a set of job skills that would allow you to find another solid job should this new opportunity not work out. That might mitigate the risk a bit.

200.gif

Couldn't help myself. :laugh:

My worry isn't about finding another job later, but that I'd be leaving a great job... if this next one doesn't work out, the job after might blow.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
My worry isn't about finding another job later, but that I'd be leaving a great job... if this next one doesn't work out, the job after might blow.

The job you have now is a great job, and pays a fair chunk better than the "new" job would?

I don't see why you would quit a great job with better pay, for a job with less security.

EDIT:

I see, "more rewarding career path"...

Please elaborate on that.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I watched Dom Hemingway last night. I'm conflicted, Jude Law is phenomenal in it, but his character is such a deviant maniac and yet strangely charismatic. Worth the 90 minutes for his tirades alone.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I watched Dom Hemingway last night. I'm conflicted, Jude Law is phenomenal in it, but his character is such a deviant maniac and yet strangely charismatic. Worth the 90 minutes for his tirades alone.

Charismatic antiheroes are what movies and television are made for. People love that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The job you have now is a great job, and pays a fair chunk better than the "new" job would?

I don't see why you would quit a great job with better pay, for a job with less security.

EDIT:

I see, "more rewarding career path"...

Please elaborate on that.

On the bolded... all logic says I shouldn't.

It is the opportunity for something more interesting. While accounting is a good job and it is really only about half of my actual work (I do a lot more client relations and negotiation stuff really)... it isn't the most rewarding thing ever. This job really fits a niche of my interest and if I did well in this job (and I have confidence I would)... there is a lot more headroom for growth.

member 116861

On the bolded... all logic says I shouldn't.

It is the opportunity for something more interesting. While accounting is a good job and it is really only about half of my actual work (I do a lot more client relations and negotiation stuff really)... it isn't the most rewarding thing ever. This job really fits a niche of my interest and if I did well in this job (and I have confidence I would)... there is a lot more headroom for growth.

Become a street pharmacist like me.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I haven't seen Love Liza, but Trainspotting, and Party Animal are both pretty rough too. Really any movie involving substance abuse/dependence hits home a little too hard for me seeing as one of my best friends overdosed on heroin a couple summers ago

OK, just watched Trainspotting, since you recommended it. :sarcasm:

Gross, disgusting, and ****ed up.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT plan on eating/snacking while watching this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad