OT: The Avalounge: Winner in Post Count, Loser in Other Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Anyone have advice on how to pick a receiver?

I'm so technically illiterate. I just want something that has Bluetooth or I can connect up outdoor speakers to. I'll hook it up to my tv too.

I'm willing to spend for a middle-higher end model. Or a model that's 1-2 versions outdated.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well, the nice Samsung 4K UHD TV I bought last September is more-or-less ruined.

Last week I found some dead pixels on the screen, a very small clustering near the on the bottom left half of the screen. No big deal, I bough the Geek Squad warranty that covers that. But, they have to send someone out to our place, and we've been doing a rather large bit of "Spring Cleaning", so our apartment was kind of a messy warzone. So I waited, and we pretty much finished getting it tidied back up, so I was planning on calling and making my appointment for someone to come out and repair it today. Last night, I'm playing a game and I notice a bright speck of white light near the upper right corner. I thought it was part of the game at first, so I change screens to get a different pattern on screen to see if that stays, and it did, so I thought "great, more dead pixels!"; I get up to check it out and no, it's not dead pixels, it's the result of a rather big/deep gash into that corner of the screen that's actually cut (but perhaps not completely sever) that portion of the screen and that's why there's a white light coming out of this small speck.

Now...who's to blame? I'm going to go with the new kitten we got about a month ago, as I've seen him begin to go at the screen at least once while I was home, and both my fiancee and I work full-time and can't monitor the area while we're gone.

It just really sucks because I had been planning on eventually upgrading to an OLED screen because of the Dolby Vision HDR capabilities, but I don't have $2K-2499 to drop on a TV right now, and I can't get this one repaired because there's really no one that offers accidental damage protection on TV's.

And I've tried just about everything to keep this little guy off the top of the TV stand where he'd be tempted to do **** like this, but nothing seems to work.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is why you don't get cats.

Agreed... but that really blows RL. I'd be pretty pissed.

None of our other ones have had this issue, so it's a behavioral one that I hope we can get ironed out. I've read that double sided tape on surfaces you don't want them on may work, because if they walk on it they will *not* like the sticky feeling on their paws.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Spinach Balls!

My "Recipe of the Day" in my email.

But it also sounds like a good exclamation for something like this cat/TV issue...

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
the cat comment is no joke. These things look disgusting. I like how the piece of garnish is there to try and not make it look like vomit.

59390489-d121-44ba-82e7-6fa670a492e2.jpg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Things have finally slowed down from the past month or so where I have time to catch up on some shows, started up Sense8 season two, so far it's great.

Unfortunate this is the last season of it.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Just watched a movie that I hadn't seen before.

Black Snake Moan

Wasn't what I expected -- at all. But it was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad