OT: The Avalounge: Winner in Post Count, Loser in Other Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Was accepted for a dog adoption application, she comes up in two weeks from GA. Two year old husky mix (~40 lbs).

Any advice for a first time owner? Haven't had one since I was a kid, I know I need to try and keep her on the same food the foster used, get a vet, get a crate, etc. The basics mostly.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Was accepted for a dog adoption application, she comes up in two weeks from GA. Two year old husky mix (~40 lbs).

Any advice for a first time owner? Haven't had one since I was a kid, I know I need to try and keep her on the same food the foster used, get a vet, get a crate, etc. The basics mostly.

Train. Train, train, train!!

My dog rings a bell when he wants to go out to pee, flops to the floor dead when I shoot my imaginary finger gun at him, will walk by my side among hundreds of people without a leash and never even thinking about roaming off, sits in his bed when the doorbell rings or somebody walks into our house and stays there until called upon to go see them. And best of all, he does not bark unless it's out of fear.

All of this because of how well my fiancé trained him. He does a crap load of other funny things and tricks we taught him too but the most important things are the obedient things like ringing the bell, not barking and not jumping/running at strangers/visitors.

Watch youtube videos. You can humanely train your dog to do anything. Key word, humanely.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
That's one thing I want to do, I just need to learn the best way to accomplish that so I'll check out videos like you said. I know positive reinforcement is the key, whether that's through treats, games, petting or what I'll have to learn a bit.

The other thing I'm still concerned about is how my travel schedule will affect having a dog. Have to figure out where to take her when I'm gone for a day or two or three at a time. My family might help, we'll see.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Positive reinforcement and time are the two biggest things. Dogs love being companions, let them do that as much as possible and they will latch onto you and want to please. Also differentiate play from aggression/protection.

The best trick my male dog knows is 'Show your balls!' Self-explanatory. :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I want so badly to just buy Undertale digitally on PS4, but I have the physical copy coming in late September... my first world problem for the day.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Train. Train, train, train!!

My dog rings a bell when he wants to go out to pee, flops to the floor dead when I shoot my imaginary finger gun at him, will walk by my side among hundreds of people without a leash and never even thinking about roaming off, sits in his bed when the doorbell rings or somebody walks into our house and stays there until called upon to go see them. And best of all, he does not bark unless it's out of fear.

All of this because of how well my fiancé trained him. He does a crap load of other funny things and tricks we taught him too but the most important things are the obedient things like ringing the bell, not barking and not jumping/running at strangers/visitors.

Watch youtube videos. You can humanely train your dog to do anything. Key word, humanely.

Denver is god damn adorable btw.

Huskies are awesome dogs. Enjoy the hell out of being a doggie dad Lonewolfe

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
2f8df5_ab3937b1e3b94fcf8e0e9eba821a466c~mv2.gif

member 116861

We should keep posting to slow down the servers because the boards magically get slower once you pass 1000 posts in one thread.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
We should keep posting to slow down the servers because the boards magically get slower once you pass 1000 posts in one thread.

Don't forget when we were told a few years ago that threads over 1k literally kill HF? :laugh::laugh:

Good times. One of the only infractions I earned.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Once upon a time we had years more history around here too, but somehow that had to be deleted for some major upgrade. Here we are, still posting on a forum which 'can't sustain' more than 1k post per thread. What chumps we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad