OT: The Avalounge: Potential Serial Killers Talk About Serial Killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Is it something you can enjoy if you absolutely despise pro wrestling? Lol

Based solely on the fact that his first autobiography is full of rather fascinating stories, I believe you can. So long as it’s accepted that pro wrestling is part of his story.

Like I said, I don’t really watch it anymore, but have re-read the book and strongly believes it holds up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Landeslog

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Midnight in the garden of good and evil has caught my eye before. I’ll have to add that. I’ll be gone in the dark is already on my “waiting for it to come out in paperback” list!
I also have been getting more into Stephen King lately. I mistakenly had grouped him in wth other popular writers like Patterson and assumed he wasn’t good just good at making money-makers. I read the stand and 11/22/63 (and misery but I only found it ok) this year and they are some of my favorites now. I’ll have to check out outsider when it comes out in paperback
King somehow managed to hit the sweet spot between being legitimately talented as a writer and being super successful as a writer. To say I’m envious of his career would be quite the understatement, haha.

If you’re down for some fantasy, I can’t recommend Patrick Rothfuss’s The Kingkiller Chronicle enough. There’s only two books in the series so far, but it’s the best modern fantasy I’ve ever read.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
thomascovenant1_6.jpg

There are more to the series after these 2 trilogies...

"The Land" is such a beautiful, wonderful place...

Reactions: expatriated_texan

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Oh really? I've been thinking of reading it for a while. What's wrong with it?
Boring and confusing. And I’m someone that reads a lot of boring nonfiction and enjoys it lol.
In a way I almost thought it was too short. He doesn’t do a great job of setting the world. There’s hardly any back story and I got to the end and just felt like he took a really cool premise and wasted it.
I’ve read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and really enjoyed it so it’s not his style I just didn’t like the book.

I will say that it’s short enough that if you want to read it, read it. You’re not wasting too much time if you dislike it and obviously a lot of people do enjoy it so you may like it!

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
King somehow managed to hit the sweet spot between being legitimately talented as a writer and being super successful as a writer. To say I’m envious of his career would be quite the understatement, haha.

If you’re down for some fantasy, I can’t recommend Patrick Rothfuss’s The Kingkiller Chronicle enough. There’s only two books in the series so far, but it’s the best modern fantasy I’ve ever read.
I read the first book of kingkiller chronicle. I liked it all the way until the very end. I’m assuming you think I should suck it up and read number 2? The unreliable narrator thing after reading 1500 pages annoyed me lol

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Donaldson does a great job of setting his "Land". His characters have depth, the world has its own magic, it's incredible.
The main character, Thomas Covenant is a unique sort of "hero", with good reason.
Things get dark at times, even disturbing, but not just for some twisted desires of the author.
There's reason for it.
I highly recommend the series as high fantasy.

The book starts with Covenant, a leper in our own world.
It can be hard to get through at first.
Well worth pushing through, though.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I read the first book of kingkiller chronicle. I liked it all the way until the very end. I’m assuming you think I should suck it up and read number 2? The unreliable narrator thing after reading 1500 pages annoyed me lol
I mean... You're expressing my thoughts in words that I probably wouldn't use, haha. That's basically what I'm saying, though. The second book is better than the first, but I don't know if you would like it since you didn't like the first one after it ended.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
I mean... You're expressing my thoughts in words that I probably wouldn't use, haha. That's basically what I'm saying, though. The second book is better than the first, but I don't know if you would like it since you didn't like the first one after it ended.
I mean, I enjoyed reading the first one but it just felt like a huge waste of time after the last 5 pages haha. Is book 2 just a continuation of the story from book 1 with the same narrator because that sounds frustrating. It’s such a long book to be mad the whole time lol

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Kingkiller Chronicle was amazing, just beautifully written IMO, but the last book isn't out yet and that is a big red flag to me that Rothfuss has writer's block and doesn't know how to end the story...

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I mean, I enjoyed reading the first one but it just felt like a huge waste of time after the last 5 pages haha. Is book 2 just a continuation of the story from book 1 with the same narrator because that sounds frustrating. It’s such a long book to be mad the whole time lol
Your assumption is correct, haha. Rothfuss dives deeper into the world he built and takes Kvothe through some more interesting scenarios. It ends up being the same narrator the whole time, though. Like @McMetal said prior to my comment, it's still beautifully written and very imaginative.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
thomascovenant1_6.jpg

There are more to the series after these 2 trilogies...

"The Land" is such a beautiful, wonderful place...
I
I absolutely loved the first two trilogies...had no idea he released more. Always have thought if HBO is looking for something to do after GOT, this would make a wonderful series for them to explore. There was some rather dark things happening in there but if anyone could pull it off, it would be HBO.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I
I absolutely loved the first two trilogies...had no idea he released more. Always have thought if HBO is looking for something to do after GOT, this would make a wonderful series for them to explore. There was some rather dark things happening in there but if anyone could pull it off, it would be HBO.

He wrote a 4-book "trilogy" to wrap it all up.

I don't ever want it made into movies or TV.
Cuz they'd f*** it up.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Your assumption is correct, haha. Rothfuss dives deeper into the world he built and takes Kvothe through some more interesting scenarios. It ends up being the same narrator the whole time, though. Like @McMetal said prior to my comment, it's still beautifully written and very imaginative.

Blah, it was such a fun read but it’s hard to care about what comes next in the story if you’re not sure you can trust it.

Has anyone read game of thrones? I haven’t seen any of the show at all but I’m considering reading them

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Boring and confusing. And I’m someone that reads a lot of boring nonfiction and enjoys it lol.
In a way I almost thought it was too short. He doesn’t do a great job of setting the world. There’s hardly any back story and I got to the end and just felt like he took a really cool premise and wasted it.
I’ve read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and really enjoyed it so it’s not his style I just didn’t like the book.

I will say that it’s short enough that if you want to read it, read it. You’re not wasting too much time if you dislike it and obviously a lot of people do enjoy it so you may like it!
I see. Maybe I'll eventually try and start it out. Don't like hearing it's boring though, with my reading habits.

The other day I went to the public library, read like 50 pages of A Clockwork Orange and left a chapter unfinished.
I liked the show :dunno:
I haven't seen at least the third season, but yeah I liked it too. Doesn't mean the book is necessarily a good read.
Don't bother.
That fat **** is never going to finish the books.
LOL, I just saw the George RR Martin South Park episode where he says he'll order pizza and it doesn't show up.

"Now, John Snow finally faces Jaime Lannister, and this guy's wiener is, you know, huge, right? So it's not going to be easy."

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I tried to get into GoT, but man, the books are slow as hell. I don't mind a little bit of politics in my fantasy but I gave up halfway through the first book. Then when the show came out, I didn't watch and now I've had it all spoiled for me anyway.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I tried to get into GoT, but man, the books are slow as hell. I don't mind a little bit of politics in my fantasy but I gave up halfway through the first book. Then when the show came out, I didn't watch and now I've had it all spoiled for me anyway.
I remember when I got a Star Wars book when I was like 10. Good god.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I remember when I got a Star Wars book when I was like 10. Good god.
Aw man, I loved those books as a kid, read them over and over. I've kind of moved past them, but I have a lot of fond memories of those old books.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I need book recommendations! I read a ton but I fell asleep instantly in the third trimester and then was tired because of the baby not sleeping. She finally sleeps and in the last week I’ve finished 7 books and seriously chipped away at my “to-read” stack. Usually I constantly know what I’m buying next because I work at a book store but I’m on maternity leave! I need a good list to buy next.
I read everything pretty much. Thrillers, page-turning fiction, literary fiction, sci-fi, history... everything. Help!
Any book suggestion above is wrong. You must read anything by Leo Tolstoy (has to be one of the best writers ever), preferably Anna Karenina. I am currently on the audiobook version of it and it has been unbelievable so far.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jimmy Carr doesn't seem like the type to be PC for anybody. He's one of the darkest and most subversive comics working today.
Carr is a good host, but not sure he's a good comedian. I appreciate anti-PC and he has the freewill to say whatever, but there is ALSO a fine line in comedy between making fun of someone and just being a total dick about it. And far too often Carr he goes into that territory and comes off as an unfunny loon. Nobody is as unfunny as Trevor Noah is though, anybody who stutters when making the punchline to a joke is just facepalm times a million (I actually feel bad for him at times).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nzap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad