OT: The Avalounge: Potential Serial Killers Talk About Serial Killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Have you ever read anything by Stephen R Lawhead? Loved the first three books of the Pendragon cycle (Taliesin, Merlin and Arthur). He wrote a a couple of new ones (Pendragon and Grail) but they came out much later and I felt the original three stood on their own and didn't need anything added. Basically the Arthurian legend set against the backdrop of the fall of the Roman Empire, the rise of Christianity and the end of the druids. He also throws a little Atlantis into it for good measure.

He also did a Robin Hood trilogy (Hood, Scarlet and Tuck) but rooted the character in Wales.

They guy does a lot of research and it shows in his writing, although my wife thinks the religious overtones in some of them can get a little over the top. She did like his take on St. Patrick though. It's called Patrick: Son of Ireland.
Sweet, thanks! He gets good reviews on good reads. Seems like historical fiction with a touch of fantasy? Sound accurate?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I need book recommendations! I read a ton but I fell asleep instantly in the third trimester and then was tired because of the baby not sleeping. She finally sleeps and in the last week I’ve finished 7 books and seriously chipped away at my “to-read” stack. Usually I constantly know what I’m buying next because I work at a book store but I’m on maternity leave! I need a good list to buy next.
I read everything pretty much. Thrillers, page-turning fiction, literary fiction, sci-fi, history... everything. Help!
I'm not sure if you're into mythology but I picked up Mythos by Stephen Fry and it's been really good so far! Fatherland by Robert Harris is pretty good too. It's like a historical thriller where Germany won WWII and the fall out of all that happens due to that.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
I'm not sure if you're into mythology but I picked up Mythos by Stephen Fry and it's been really good so far! Fatherland by Robert Harris is pretty good too. It's like a historical thriller where Germany won WWII and the fall out of all that happens due to that.
Will definitely check out fatherland. I read Man in the High Castle because that premise is so interesting and was pretty disappointed by it

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I need book recommendations! I read a ton but I fell asleep instantly in the third trimester and then was tired because of the baby not sleeping. She finally sleeps and in the last week I’ve finished 7 books and seriously chipped away at my “to-read” stack. Usually I constantly know what I’m buying next because I work at a book store but I’m on maternity leave! I need a good list to buy next.
I read everything pretty much. Thrillers, page-turning fiction, literary fiction, sci-fi, history... everything. Help!

Mick Foley’s first autobiography, “Have a Nice Day!” is quite a fascinating read. The man did and lived through some really interesting things. Now I don’t letsonall believe you have to “like pro wrestling” in order to read the book, but it was his career so it plays a role (I don’t really watch wrestling anymore, but I did in its recent “peak “ back in the late 90s/early 2000’s).

But he’s actually a pretty good writer (he went on to have some fiction books published too).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Holy crap Fatherland sounds awesome.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Mick Foley’s first autobiography, “Have a Nice Day!” is quite a fascinating read. The man did and lived through some really interesting things. Now I don’t letsonall believe you have to “like pro wrestling” in order to read the book, but it was his career so it plays a role (I don’t really watch wrestling anymore, but I did in its recent “peak “ back in the late 90s/early 2000’s).

But he’s actually a pretty good writer (he went on to have some fiction books published too).
Is it something you can enjoy if you absolutely despise pro wrestling? Lol

Reactions: UncleRisto

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

Brandon Sanderson could keep you busy for a while

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He’s daunting! Is there a particular title you suggest to start with?
I'm a huge Sanderson fan. IMO the standalone novel "Warbreaker" is a great way to get into his writing style without the commitment of one of his longer series. The Mistborn trilogy (and the follow-up series) is a great icebreaker into his longer works, it's a fast read for a trilogy.

Reactions: MonsterMack

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I’ve got a few titles to recommend, if you’re into true crime at all:

Columbine by Dave Cullen
The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule
I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
Devil’s Knot by Mara Leveritt
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

I’m a big Stephen King fan, and The Outsider is a nice throwback to some of his older stuff.

I’ve also gotten into Ray Bradbury’s stuff recently. Started with Something Wicked This Way Comes, and now I’m reading his short story collection. Good stuff.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I have so many books on the backlog for what I want to read next, and this is just adding to it :laugh:

Like.. probably a dozen or so books I keep putting off due to constantly not having enough time or energy to read a book at the end the day without falling asleep.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
I’ve got a few titles to recommend, if you’re into true crime at all:

Columbine by Dave Cullen
The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule
I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
Devil’s Knot by Mara Leveritt
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

I’m a big Stephen King fan, and The Outsider is a nice throwback to some of his older stuff.

I’ve also gotten into Ray Bradbury’s stuff recently. Started with Something Wicked This Way Comes, and now I’m reading his short story collection. Good stuff.
Midnight in the garden of good and evil has caught my eye before. I’ll have to add that. I’ll be gone in the dark is already on my “waiting for it to come out in paperback” list!
I also have been getting more into Stephen King lately. I mistakenly had grouped him in wth other popular writers like Patterson and assumed he wasn’t good just good at making money-makers. I read the stand and 11/22/63 (and misery but I only found it ok) this year and they are some of my favorites now. I’ll have to check out outsider when it comes out in paperback

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
I have so many books on the backlog for what I want to read next, and this is just adding to it :laugh:

Like.. probably a dozen or so books I keep putting off due to constantly not having enough time or energy to read a book at the end the day without falling asleep.
I’m at this sweet spot where the baby sleeps most of the day and well at night. I have nothing to do during the day except hold her while she naps. I’m able to read SO MUCH that I’m to the point in my to-read list that I’m about to start some classics that I’ve been meaning to read and have been putting off for more exciting stuff.
But there’s also this pressure to read as much as possible because soon she’ll be sleeping less and I’ll have to actually parent during the day instead of just let her sleep lol

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Midnight in the garden of good and evil has caught my eye before. I’ll have to add that. I’ll be gone in the dark is already on my “waiting for it to come out in paperback” list!
I also have been getting more into Stephen King lately. I mistakenly had grouped him in wth other popular writers like Patterson and assumed he wasn’t good just good at making money-makers. I read the stand and 11/22/63 (and misery but I only found it ok) this year and they are some of my favorites now. I’ll have to check out outsider when it comes out in paperback
I'm in the middle of rereading "IT" right now, it's one of King's best works. I'd also recommend The Dark Tower series as well, it's his masterpiece IMO and one of my favorite stories ever.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah, I know! Everybody's all toned down in this thing.
It’s terrible. As a big fan of 8 out of 10 I was so disappointed. The puritanism is just bonkers. Everythings needs to be PC.

To repeat a quote from Stephen Fry: “You are offended? So f***ing what?”

BTW, QI is a must watch.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It’s terrible. As a big fan of 8 out of 10 I was so disappointed. The puritanism is just bonkers. Everythings needs to be PC.

To repeat a quote from Stephen Fry: “You are offended? So ****ing what?”

BTW, QI is a must watch.
Yeah exactly. I was stoked I could watch a show like 8 Out of 10 Cats on Netflix and so I watched a few episodes all happy. Then it dawned on me that the whole point of the show was to pander to the "leftist millennial". No clue why these people would enjoy that. Gross.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Sounds like the show "Man in the High Castle " Where the Germans and Japs win the war and America is split with the West Coast being Japanese and the East Coast German with a neutral spot in the middle. Good show , probably a good read as well

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Sounds like the show "Man in the High Castle " Where the Germans and Japs win the war and America is split with the West Coast being Japanese and the East Coast German with a neutral spot in the middle. Good show , probably a good read as well
I hated the book. Disappointing because I was so excited by the premise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad