OT: The Avalounge: Potential Serial Killers Talk About Serial Killers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Any book suggestion above is wrong. You must read anything by Leo Tolstoy (has to be one of the best writers ever), preferably Anna Karenina. I am currently on the audiobook version of it and it has been unbelievable so far.
Omg this is one of the classics I’ve been avoiding on my shelf. So you’re saying I should stop avoiding it

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Any book suggestion above is wrong. You must read anything by Leo Tolstoy (has to be one of the best writers ever), preferably Anna Karenina. I am currently on the audiobook version of it and it has been unbelievable so far.
You're an interesting dude...

Reactions: Ceremony

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
USPS is effin' dumb, dumb government. I bought a christmas gift last Monday via Amazon. It wasn't part of prime, so I paid extra to expedite the item for Thursday to Saturday, but now it's delayed until Wednesday. WTF?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
USPS is effin' dumb, dumb government. I bought a christmas gift last Monday via Amazon. It wasn't part of prime, so I paid extra to expedite the item for Thursday to Saturday, but now it's delayed until Wednesday. WTF?

While it is absolutely possible that it’s an error on the part of USPS, weather conditions can also play a role in mail delays.

At the very least. I’d be contacting Amazon to get your shipping cost adjusted, since it won’t meet the delivery time you paid for.

Reactions: S E P H

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
While it is absolutely possible that it’s an error on the part of USPS, weather conditions can also play a role in mail delays.

At the very least. I’d be contacting Amazon to get your shipping cost adjusted, since it won’t meet the delivery time you paid for.

I wouldn't contact them until you actually get the item!

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I ordered a game last Thursday and it came today

Not even going to play it right now

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

IME... I much, much prefer my shipments to come via USPS over UPS or Fed-Ex. Way more reliable and consistently work 6 days a weeks... hell, most Amazon packages can deliver on Sundays now too via USPS.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
thomascovenant1_6.jpg

There are more to the series after these 2 trilogies...

"The Land" is such a beautiful, wonderful place...

I read these many years ago, then re-upped a few years back. I liked the first trilogy much better than the second one, and 5 of the 6 books are really good. The One Tree was a slog though. Donaldson once described himself as an overwriter, and that book is a good example. I found it to be a tough read.

Great story overall though.

Donaldson does a great job of setting his "Land". His characters have depth, the world has its own magic, it's incredible.
The main character, Thomas Covenant is a unique sort of "hero", with good reason.
Things get dark at times, even disturbing, but not just for some twisted desires of the author.
There's reason for it.
I highly recommend the series as high fantasy.

Covenant is truly an anti-hero in many respects. There were times I wanted to reach into the book and strangle him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
King somehow managed to hit the sweet spot between being legitimately talented as a writer and being super successful as a writer. To say I’m envious of his career would be quite the understatement, haha.

If you’re down for some fantasy, I can’t recommend Patrick Rothfuss’s The Kingkiller Chronicle enough. There’s only two books in the series so far, but it’s the best modern fantasy I’ve ever read.

You're the second person I've had highly recommending Rothfuss. I got through Name of the Wind, and felt that not much really happened. So, I chalked it up to story development. Then I got into Wise Man's Fear, kept waiting for something to happen.....and I just gave up and put it down. Good writing, yes. But, where is the story going?

Now that he's doing the R.R Martin/Robert Jordan thing (one book over the course of 9 years), I'm definitely out until the whole series is finished, and only then if I get some certainty that the story actually goes somewhere.

I had a similar response with Steven Erikson and the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. After 3 books and many hundreds of pages, I found myself in the midst of an utterly aimless story, and I punted. I do appreciate that the author pumped out 10 books in 13 years though.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
You're the second person I've had highly recommending Rothfuss. I got through Name of the Wind, and felt that not much really happened. So, I chalked it up to story development. Then I got into Wise Man's Fear, kept waiting for something to happen.....and I just gave up and put it down. Good writing, yes. But, where is the story going?

Now that he's doing the R.R Martin/Robert Jordan thing (one book over the course of 9 years), I'm definitely out until the whole series is finished, and only then if I get some certainty that the story actually goes somewhere.

I had a similar response with Steven Erikson and the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. After 3 books and many hundreds of pages, I found myself in the midst of an utterly aimless story, and I punted. I do appreciate that the author pumped out 10 books in 13 years though.
If you’re specifically looking for clarity about the overarching story, I agree that there isn’t much there. The big picture and “present” story is a slow burn, and there’s very limited resolution throughout the first 2 books. It’s the smaller conflicts throughout the 2 books that will ultimately lead up to some clarification regarding everything, or at least that’s what I’m hoping for. I’m really not a sucker for beautiful prose, as I need a solid story to go along with the nice writing, so I don’t think it’s just Rothfuss’s writing that makes me speak so highly of the series. The world he built, especially the magic system, as well as the mysterious villains are what keep me engaged in the series. I think he has a lot of potential with those two aspects specifically, but it’s a toss-up if he can tie everything together in the final book. I certainly hope he can pull it off.

As for not seeing the story going somewhere, I guess what my long-winded response was getting at is that I disagree with that notion. I think we’ve been pointed in the direction of the conclusion, although we haven’t been given any tangible evidence of how everything might end. All we know is that Kvothe survives up until “present” time.

Reactions: McMetal

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Christmas preparations all done, tree is up, sitting on the floor with a nice glass of Plavac Mali in my hand watching a concert by the Lumineers with the person I love.

Life is a series of one hardship after another, but all the hard work is paid of in small moments like this.

Merry Christmas to all of you and everyone you hold dear to your heart!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I had the same problem with Wheel of Time. I got eight and a half books in and realized that nothing has really happened yet. I could see the beginnings of how some of the prophecies from book two might be sort of starting to come true, but I lost the thread of the story at that point. Wonderfully written books, but god damn are they a slow burn.

That's one reason why I haven't started Sanderson's Stormlight Archive yet. It's been described as his "Wheel of Time" epic and that kind of turns me off after investing so much time in Jordan's books for nothing.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Christmas preparations all done, tree is up, sitting on the floor with a nice glass of Plavac Mali in my hand watching a concert by the Lumineers with the person I love.

Life is a series of one hardship after another, but all the hard work is paid of in small moments like this.

Merry Christmas to all of you and everyone you hold dear to your heart!

Cherish those moments, my friend.

Happy Holidays!

Reactions: Ivan13

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Why the f*** is it so hard to get this girl to like me back

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
If you’re specifically looking for clarity about the overarching story, I agree that there isn’t much there. The big picture and “present” story is a slow burn, and there’s very limited resolution throughout the first 2 books. It’s the smaller conflicts throughout the 2 books that will ultimately lead up to some clarification regarding everything, or at least that’s what I’m hoping for. I’m really not a sucker for beautiful prose, as I need a solid story to go along with the nice writing, so I don’t think it’s just Rothfuss’s writing that makes me speak so highly of the series. The world he built, especially the magic system, as well as the mysterious villains are what keep me engaged in the series. I think he has a lot of potential with those two aspects specifically, but it’s a toss-up if he can tie everything together in the final book. I certainly hope he can pull it off.

As for not seeing the story going somewhere, I guess what my long-winded response was getting at is that I disagree with that notion. I think we’ve been pointed in the direction of the conclusion, although we haven’t been given any tangible evidence of how everything might end. All we know is that Kvothe survives up until “present” time.

I'm not asking that a book "give away" its own ending, but the story has to be about.......something.

I've read the entire first book and a chunk of the second book of that series - what's that - 800, 900 pages? And if asked what the books are about, I couldn't give an answer. I have no idea.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Just wanted to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. Hope we all get some passionate hockey placed under our tree...

These are old memories...They are great, but above all, I'm hoping to see new memories made that will replace them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille