OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Diet, sugar free, Zero etc. drinks and the seemingly inexorable shift towards them at the behest of public health initiatives are enough to turn me into an extreme version of Alex Jones (not the poster). They're all disgusting. Anyone who drinks them for any reason ("health," "taste," "preference") is lying to themselves and failing society as a result.
Kay. But. Sugar though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Diet, sugar free, Zero etc. drinks and the seemingly inexorable shift towards them at the behest of public health initiatives are enough to turn me into an extreme version of Alex Jones (not the poster). They're all disgusting. Anyone who drinks them for any reason ("health," "taste," "preference") is lying to themselves and failing society as a result.
Good thing they make people sterile

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sugar's great. It tastes nice.

Sugar replacements are shit. They taste like chemicals and give you cancer.
"Human epidemiologic studies and mechanistic preclinical studies in multiple cancers support a causal link between excess sugar and cancer."

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
"Human epidemiologic studies and mechanistic preclinical studies in multiple cancers support a causal link between excess sugar and cancer."
Sorry, I did forget to mention the fatties who live off of 2l bottles of coke and cost a fortune in medical and dental bills mean that I can't enjoy a can or two a week like a normal functioning human being

Oh well, guess I'll just drink water and literally nothing else, ever. We used to be a country.

Reactions: The Moops

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Sorry, I did forget to mention the fatties who live off of 2l bottles of coke and cost a fortune in medical and dental bills mean that I can't enjoy a can or two a week like a normal functioning human being

Oh well, guess I'll just drink water and literally nothing else, ever. We used to be a country.
What would make you think this exact thing isn't true about sugar replacements?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To be fair… humanity was at the peak when the water would kill you and you just had to be an alcoholic.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No, I disagree. The vile aftertaste of Coke Zero (which is still better than any cola with sugar) is covered by the rum and being drunk.

Oh, did you not think fart sounds are hilarious?
Coke Zero’s aftertaste is still vile and then combined with an alcohol burn while coving up the good part of rum.

I would probably drink soda if there was just a half sugar version. Most sodas are just way too sweet and the diet ones just try to replicate it.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The development I would be worried about is that everything has to taste like candy. Whether it's a natural or an artificial sweetener, everything is sweetened. Any drinks, dairy, protein powder, vitamin supplements... Only make the thing that tastes completely unappetizing and make me think about my decision as I drink unflavored whey.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The development I would be worried about is that everything has to taste like candy. Whether it's a natural or an artificial sweetener, everything is sweetened. Any drinks, dairy, protein powder, vitamin supplements... Only make the thing that tastes completely unappetizing and make me think about my decision as I drink unflavored whey.
Don't worry ozempic is available everywhere now.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I, too, would love a half sugar soda. I actually think it'd be the perfect sweet spot for these drinks. Zero sugar drinks suck, regular drinks are way too sweet.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Aspartame is one of the most widely used artificial sweeteners in the world. It has been around since the 80s. So there's 40 odd years of pumping drinks and foodstuffs full of it. But, there's extremely limited evidence yet to suggest it is carcinogenic. My feelings at this point are, it has been widely tested, and massively used for decades, we would know by now if it definitely caused cancer. I am not saying it is good for you, but the cancer scares in my opinion are overstated at this point. But I am happy to be proven otherwise.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I, too, would love a half sugar soda. I actually think it'd be the perfect sweet spot for these drinks. Zero sugar drinks suck, regular drinks are way too sweet.
I've had these too. They're still horrible and still just taste like chemicals.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Even with regular sugar?

It doesn't taste sweet, it doesn't taste right, it tastes like it's not been made properly.

I think Coke is the only drink you still get here that hasn't changed the recipe. The last I saw Mountain Dew was still high sugar but that's nowhere near as common as it is in America.

Actually I've just realised I'm lying. Fanta has less sugar in it now and isn't so bad, but I think that's helped by being able to put actual fruit concentrates in it rather than just sweeteners. Lucozade also has less sugar than it used to, but that also had the most sugar of any soft drink on the market so it wasn't so bad either.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

It doesn't taste sweet, it doesn't taste right, it tastes like it's not been made properly.

I think Coke is the only drink you still get here that hasn't changed the recipe. The last I saw Mountain Dew was still high sugar but that's nowhere near as common as it is in America.
Interesting. I only drink the smaller 222ml cans now because I can't finish a full sized can.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pepsi changed their formula? I'm old enough to remember what a disaster New Coke was. They apparently didn't learn from that.

I didn't really drink Pepsi anyway. Any time a place offers Pepsi products I immediately go for Mountain Dew.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Pepsi changed their formula? I'm old enough to remember what a disaster New Coke was. They apparently didn't learn from that.

I didn't really drink Pepsi anyway. Any time a place offers Pepsi products I immediately go for Mountain Dew.
They had to change it for the UK because there's a tax on high-sugar products. They introduced it without telling anyone last year.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Last Avs game I went to guy I sat next to smelled like absolute sweaty uncleaned ass. When my son threw up half way through the 1st period I was excited to get out of there. Really put me off going to live games 🤮
I once sat next to a guy who had a colostomy bag at a game. Worst smell ever but I also felt terribly for the guy. Obviously I never said anything and just sat there the whole time but still felt like a total jerk for having the hardest time tolerating the smell

Reactions: The Moops

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I've had my bouts with addiction to Diet Coke. As it turns out, aspartame isn't a healthy alternative to 100% real cane sugar and cocaine.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I just realized I've spent half my life on these forums with you all. At what point do you all become family? I'm pretty good at not responding to my family's messages so you all might be getting close with how much less I post these days....

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I’m so ready to be disappointed by the Fallout series but the trailers and Walton Goggins has me holding out hope it will be more The Last Of Us and less well any of the multitude of terrible game to TV series adaptations

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I’m so ready to be disappointed by the Fallout series but the trailers and Walton Goggins has me holding out hope it will be more The Last Of Us and less well any of the multitude of terrible game to TV series adaptations
I don't particularly care about the Fallout universe, but Walton Goggins just about steals the show in whatever he's in so it'll probably be enjoyable just for him

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I don't particularly care about the Fallout universe, but Walton Goggins just about steals the show in whatever he's in so it'll probably be enjoyable just for him
Baby Billy Freeman, Baby Billy Freeman everyone… and Aimee-Leigh Gemstone

Even if I wasn’t a Fallout fan, Walton Goggins is worth the price of admission

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino