OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I saw a comment from a dude a couple weeks back - AI won't take your job, but the person that takes your job will know how to use AI. I definitely believe in this.

I use ChatGPT a lot as a software developer. It's good for generating code and it acts like a 2020/updated version of Stack Overflow for me. But all of its answers are not correct; even though it states them "matter as factly". That really bothers me. It definitely does need intervention. For me it's a tool to coach me towards an answer, but that answer should be given a huge grain of salt with it and a trust but verify.
I think the key is as an end user, I want it clearly labled when AI took a guess, or approximated an answer rather than getting the answer from and established and somehow verifiable source.

Like if I ask what is sum of 2 + 2?

If the answer is anything other than 4, it needs to be flagged as being generated by AI or a common core math instructor. Either way, it's false.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
One of my old hockey buddies was in town on the weekend and took me out to his father's (Bill Riley) 3rd colored man to make the NHL and Billy boy gifted me a brand new True hockey stick left hand stick which I shoot. He also gave me 2 right shot CCM sticks I gave to a friend who shoots right. A Sakic curve and a Marner curve.

Getting out tomorrow to try the new True stick out. Anyone ever use one ? Never had them back in my time. Got a nice feel to it

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I was going to go to Silversun Pickups this week, but I never got the time 😥 Was able to go to Explosions in the Sky a few weeks back and that was an incredible show. That was my 4-5th time seeing them. Always epic

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
Any Vancouver residents or vacationers here that have any recommendations for things to do, places to go, etc? Planning a short trip in early July and will be my first time in Western Canada.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
On a cruise this week that has an IMAX. On the plus side I get to see Dune part 2 before everyone else, on the downside, I assumed anything in IMAX would be awesome and saw Madame Web last night. Might be legitimately the worst thing I've seen on screen, and I've watched RyJo all year long

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I have an AI story for you all.

I don't know if this sort of story happens in America, but every now and then over here you get a SCAMMERS RUINED MY KIDS' CHRISTMAS story and it's usually some chancer in a car park somewhere with a donkey with some bells round its neck and a soiled doll in a box as a present. They're billed as 'Winter Wonderland' or some such nonsense and idiots with no ability to spot an obvious grift when they see one fall for it and doom their children to a life or gullibility and disappointment.

Anyhoo, a Willy Wonka-themed one of these popped up this week: Police called to 'Willy Wonka Chocolate Experience' after parents left furious

Highlights include:

Dad Stuart Sinclair travelled two hours to attend the experience with his family. He said: "It was nothing short of shocking.

"I travelled two hours with three kids, and paid £35 per ticket to attend the event in Glasgow. It was then closed down while we were there. It was described as a full Wonka Experience with chocolate fountains, but the kids received two jelly babies and a quarter of a can of Barrs limeade.”

and

1709054684903.png

and

"We went inside and there were some posters, a visual display including a rainbow, toadstool and a gobstopper. There also appeared to be a table strewn with jelly beans and a bouncy castle at the back. It took us a minute to walk through.

"Some families were very, very angry and had little children who were crying. It was a tense atmosphere and new families were arriving looking bewildered.

"I left at that point as I could see the situation was about to erupt. Families were calling the police and voices were getting louder."

and

1709054763696.png

Fair enough, you might think. I've seen Gene Wilder prancing about in a field of plastic lollipops and it looks like a fair amount of effort to bring it all together. But, surely an enterprise advertising this to people and charging thirty five money a head would have at least looked pretty convincing? Pretty thorough, pretty detailed, and you see the obvious Willy Wonka association, is it something to do with the film maybe? Remarkably, the website is still available: Willys Chocolate Experience Glasgow. Get your Tickets!

(I wonder if anything else on the internet is called "Willy's Chocolate Experience" but I digress)

Ooh, Twilight Tunnel! This sounds exciting.

1709054963711.png

My kids will just love DIM TIGHT TWDRDING, DIPPRACTIONS and UKXEPCTED TWITS!

1709055078923.png

Catgacating! exarserdray lollipops! The kids will just love that.

Forget what I've said about AI, if there are actual adult humans who have reproduced who can look at that website and spend their money and time on it then we were doomed as a species long before some funny images started appearing online. f***ing nuke the place from orbit now and save us from any more embarrassment.

• Haha
Reactions: The Moops

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It has dawned on me several times that I could be so god-damned rich... if only I didn't have morals.

The world is full of idiots. I mean... just think about your typical co-worker. Now, realize that half the population is dumber than them. Shocking really.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
It has dawned on me several times that I could be so god-damned rich... if only I didn't have morals.

The world is full of idiots. I mean... just think about your typical co-worker. Now, realize that half the population is dumber than them. Shocking really.

Jesus saves them!

Now when Niche is back I wonder if the´re gonna make an ALL-OFFENSE ZONE line (on ice if MacK & Co see to that the puck is kept there) out of Parise - Johansen and Drouin etc.

Like this:

Niche - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Parise - Johansen - Drouin
Wood - Colton - Lehkonen
Cogliano - Wagner - O'Connor
Kovalenko

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I have an AI story for you all.

I don't know if this sort of story happens in America, but every now and then over here you get a SCAMMERS RUINED MY KIDS' CHRISTMAS story and it's usually some chancer in a car park somewhere with a donkey with some bells round its neck and a soiled doll in a box as a present. They're billed as 'Winter Wonderland' or some such nonsense and idiots with no ability to spot an obvious grift when they see one fall for it and doom their children to a life or gullibility and disappointment.

Anyhoo, a Willy Wonka-themed one of these popped up this week: Police called to 'Willy Wonka Chocolate Experience' after parents left furious

Highlights include:

and

View attachment 826002

and

and

View attachment 826003

Fair enough, you might think. I've seen Gene Wilder prancing about in a field of plastic lollipops and it looks like a fair amount of effort to bring it all together. But, surely an enterprise advertising this to people and charging thirty five money a head would have at least looked pretty convincing? Pretty thorough, pretty detailed, and you see the obvious Willy Wonka association, is it something to do with the film maybe? Remarkably, the website is still available: Willys Chocolate Experience Glasgow. Get your Tickets!

(I wonder if anything else on the internet is called "Willy's Chocolate Experience" but I digress)

Ooh, Twilight Tunnel! This sounds exciting.

View attachment 826005

My kids will just love DIM TIGHT TWDRDING, DIPPRACTIONS and UKXEPCTED TWITS!

View attachment 826007

Catgacating! exarserdray lollipops! The kids will just love that.

Forget what I've said about AI, if there are actual adult humans who have reproduced who can look at that website and spend their money and time on it then we were doomed as a species long before some funny images started appearing online. f***ing nuke the place from orbit now and save us from any more embarrassment.
Is Scotland okay?

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Honestly, this Willy Chocolate Experience thing is my favorite thing from 2024 so far. I don't know if it can be topped. Every time I find something new about it, its hilarious. This "Oompa Loompa" looks like she's cooking and consuming meth. And in Glasgow, she probably is.

1709160683072.png

• Love
Reactions: The Moops

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Sorry

Willy’s Chocolate Experience organiser Billy Coull apologised for his “vision of the artistic rendition of a well-known book that didn’t come to fruition” and offered 850 people their money back before closing the Glasgow experience on Saturday.

EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY PEOPLE.

Eight hundred and fifty people saw that AI generated gibberish website and rocked up with their children.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad