OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Any Vancouver residents or vacationers here that have any recommendations for things to do, places to go, etc? Planning a short trip in early July and will be my first time in Western Canada.
Depends a lot on what you’re interested in and things like if you’re bringing or renting a car and how far outside Van you’re prepared to go if you are.

Sometimes you’re further ahead getting ideas from sites/recommendations geared towards tourists. The amount of people I have met who will tell me about something they really enjoyed doing in Van that I didn’t even know existed is wild.

Now if you’re wanting a once in a lifetime experience head on down to Wreck beach and if you’re really lucky a naked stranger wandering around with a cooler will offer you a popsicle and then you can spend a lot of time afterwards contemplating just what life choices you have made to ever arrive at such a moment

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Now if you’re wanting a once in a lifetime experience head on down to Wreck beach and if you’re really lucky a naked stranger wandering around with a cooler will offer you a popsicle and then you can spend a lot of time afterwards contemplating just what life choices you have made to ever arrive at such a moment
rick-and-morty-morty.gif

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Dune was pretty decent, but they made some changes to the book that didn't need to be changed imo. Kinda strange choices on a few things

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Going next weekend. The wife and I wanted to give it some time, so it wasn't completely packed. Unfortunately, personal hygiene in this city isn't what it used to be, so we try to avoid stagnant crowds.
Nothing is worse than sitting next to someone that smells. When I saw LOTR: The Two Towers back in the day, I sat next to a guy that just reeked of nicotine. I can't even imagine how much someone had to smoke to smell that badly. By the end of the movie I had the worst migraine of my life. I guess that's better than a terrible case of BO, but I still remember that smell vividly.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Nothing is worse than sitting next to someone that smells. When I saw LOTR: The Two Towers back in the day, I sat next to a guy that just reeked of nicotine. I can't even imagine how much someone had to smoke to smell that badly. By the end of the movie I had the worst migraine of my life. I guess that's better than a terrible case of BO, but I still remember that smell vividly.
Ha! I bet it felt like you were marching into Modor.

I actually had a great experience at the first one, Fellowship. Got tickets for me, the Mrs. and her folks to all go and watch. About three rows down from us these kids/teenagers pulled out a laser pointer and started putting the red dot on the screen and just being a nuisance in general. This was before they even dimmed the lights for the previews. All of sudden, this 6'4" version of Jeramiah Johnson walks down to them, calmly places his hand on the shoulder of the one sitting in the aisle seat and in a voice loud enough for everyone in the theater to hear, explained how as a kid he dreamed of seeing his favorite bedtime story being made into a movie and that they were not going to ruin it for him or anyone else.

He got a standing O as he walked back to his seat. The kids just slunk down in their chairs and a few minutes later, well everybody was off in another world.

Last edited:
Reactions: sethro109

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Last Avs game I went to guy I sat next to smelled like absolute sweaty uncleaned ass. When my son threw up half way through the 1st period I was excited to get out of there. Really put me off going to live games 🤮

Reactions: sethro109

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Ha! I bet it felt like you were marching into Modor.

I actually had a great experience at the first one, Fellowship. Got tickets for me, the Mrs. and her folks to all go and watch. About three rows down from us these kids/teenagers pulled out a laser pointer and started putting the red dot on the screen and just being a nuisance in general. This was before they even dimmed the lights for the previews. All of sudden, this 6'4" version of Jeramiah Johnson walks down to them, calmly places his hand on the shoulder of the one sitting in the aisle seat and in a voice loud enough for everyone in the theater to hear, explained how as a kid he dreamed of seeing his favorite bedtime story being made into a movie and that they were not going to ruin it for him or anyone else.

He got a standing O as he walked back to his seat. The kids just slunk down in their chairs and a few minutes later, well everybody was off in another world.
The LOTR theater experience that I remember most vividly was for ROTK. I had to pee SO bad. I had never seen a movie that long in a theater before and of course I bought an extra large soda at the counter. Big mistake. And then all of the multiple endings and long wind down after the climax... I was just dying in my seat but I couldn't get up because it was so good. The tears when Frodo said goodbye were not entirely for the movie, let me tell you.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Coke Zero might be the most elite “bad for you” soda out there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Any of y'all go to Nick Swardson's standup show in Beaver Creek? :laugh:
I never liked him before, but it does seem like he's just having a public meltdown right now. I always thought his act was dumb, juvenile, lowest common denominator stuff. Dane Cook without the charm. Somehow, though, one of the other local comedians I used to perform with back in the day loved him. And it was weird because I thought the guy was way better as a struggling amateur than Swardson ever was.

• Haha
Reactions: Pokecheque

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh I'm plenty good with rum... Coke Zero sucks. Coke Zero with rum is just worse than Coke Zero.
No, I disagree. The vile aftertaste of Coke Zero (which is still better than any cola with sugar) is covered by the rum and being drunk.
I never liked him before, but it does seem like he's just having a public meltdown right now. I always thought his act was dumb, juvenile, lowest common denominator stuff. Dane Cook without the charm. Somehow, though, one of the other local comedians I used to perform with back in the day loved him. And it was weird because I thought the guy was way better as a struggling amateur than Swardson ever was.
Oh, did you not think fart sounds are hilarious?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Diet, sugar free, Zero etc. drinks and the seemingly inexorable shift towards them at the behest of public health initiatives are enough to turn me into an extreme version of Alex Jones (not the poster). They're all disgusting. Anyone who drinks them for any reason ("health," "taste," "preference") is lying to themselves and failing society as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad