OT: The Avalounge (mod warning - No Politics)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I had a dream last night we were playing the Flyers. Olausson scored a goal and they spent two and a half hours on an offside review because the camera angles were so terrible.

Reactions: dahrougem2

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I just found out that Chris Cornnell played a show with Cat Stevens. Knowing Chris, this does not really surprise me but it did make me very happy. What an incredible talent he was. Cat's not bad either, his voice is a little bit higher these days which has caused it to lose a little of the warmth I remember, but his guitar playing was still looking and sounding strong.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yes, both of those are so-so, and therefore not something anyone needs to see.
1707917329739.png

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yes, both of those are so-so, and therefore not something anyone needs to see.
I was thinking more along the lines that both groups released pretty influential and good music in their first couple of albums but then disappeared from the mainstream for ages only to reappear on tour setting record ticket prices while selling out nostalgia tours based on the merits of 10-15 songs written decades previously.

Before @Ceremony ends me, let me just say that I am a fan of both groups' music, just not either band's dynamics. Glenn Frey never got over the fact that he got the shit kicked out of him by Randy Meisner for calling him a p***y for not wanting to do a third encore while sick. Randy was kicked out of the Eagles at the end of the tour and although he tried to mend fences was never allowed back by either Glenn or Don for any of their subsequent reunions prior to his death. Dave Abbruzzese was the only member of Pearl Jam not hell bent on a war on TicketMaster. He actually didn't mind being a rock star and that really pissed Jeff and Eddie off. Even though Dave played drums for their first three albums, they kicked him out before going on tour to support Vitalogy. Even after all those years, when PJ was inducted in the HOF, they still refused to allow Dave to be a part of it. Kinda of rich considering their ticket prices these days.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I mean, Dave is one of the most bitter individuals I've ever seen. All of his posts on social media reek of bitterness, so there's no reason to invite that dude back for anything. Also, Dave did not play drums on Ten. He was only on VS. and most of Vitalogy.

Pearl Jam has been selling out arenas for decades now. Not sure they ever really disappeared. They just don't go on big world tours anymore. Usually smaller ones.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yeah Pearl Jam never stopped touring or putting out music for the best part of twenty years. I don't know the Eagles outside of their hits but PJ also have been much more varied and creative over those years in terms of different sounds and styles.

I'm also reminded of the worst post I've seen on this website, when a guy on the Entertainment board said he liked the first few albums before they got too political. Outstanding work.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I mean, Dave is one of the most bitter individuals I've ever seen. All of his posts on social media reek of bitterness, so there's no reason to invite that dude back for anything. Also, Dave did not play drums on Ten. He was only on VS. and most of Vitalogy.

Pearl Jam has been selling out arenas for decades now. Not sure they ever really disappeared. They just don't go on big world tours anymore. Usually smaller ones.
I meant disappearing from the mainstream. I'm not sure I actually recall hearing a single from them on the radio off of anything past the Mirror Ball and Merkleball stuff with Neal Young. Of course, radio has taken a large turn since that time too and rock doesn't get played around here unless it's a 70/80/90 station.

I did forget that Dave wasn't brought on until midway through the Ten tour. He was part of the Singles soundtrack sessions that resulted in State of Love and Trust and Breathe. I think they did a re-recording of Even Flow with him at that time as well. I was underwhelmed with No Code and haven't followed them as closely since but have been aware that they are still out there and doing music. Listen to a lot online but haven't been inspired to buy anything new from them in some time. Still, at the top of their popularity Dave was killing it on the drums for them and I just wasn't a fan of them not bringing him back for the induction. Got no ideas what he's like as a person though. I only know that he wasn't against Ticket Master and that pretty much doomed in him in Eddie and Jeff's eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad