OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
So any thoughts on this; I'm being paid an hourly wage for a freelance type article for an academic publication. It's an interview based article and I'm being paid an intern's wage at about 21 USD per hour. It is taking me a considerable amount of time as I really have to think about the writing - it's not a magazine fluff piece, and it will be about 5 pages long per request from the editor. How many hours is the company expecting me to charge them for? My actual work hours are about 18 at this point (this includes conducting the interview, and the entire writing process), so a little over two entire workdays. I expect the actual hours to fall at around 3 workdays. For professionals, the Finnish union for this stuff says writing fees (articles and whatnot) should be at minimum 104 euros per 28-30 rows. Right now I have about three times that and I've charged for 324€.

You see the problem is, as a student I don't know what they're usually charged for this sort of stuff and I don't want it to be too high. Thoughts?

Any professionals you can reach out to? Its an academic pub so did you ask a teacher? If all else fails just ask your editor im sure there's a middle ground you can reach

Reactions: UncleRisto

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I know this isn't a place for politics and it's not my intention but damn, I've never been this exhausted by American political discussion trickling onto my Twitter feed. Everyone just has to get out there and say something snappy and righteous about everything. It's like some people absolutely cannot get tired of this.

I used to be quite active on Twitter under an anonymous account talking politics and social issues, but I realized it was doing me more harm than good and I wasn't able to really influence anyone (I was preaching tolerance, moderation, honesty, fairness, etc..). I have also stopped sharing political opinion online under my own name. I think the problem is too many people are being encouraged to share political opinions despite not knowing anything about the issues and not knowing how to have a mature discussion about serious issues. The whole thing becomes too emotional and nothing ever gets resolved. I wish I knew the solution but for now my best option is to focus my online energy on places like this where politics doesn't come up.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'm really Jonesing for hockey right now. like I'm in withdrawal. Just watched Miracle. Now on to Mystery, Alaska. Hoping it holds me over.

Edit, also man enough to admit I bawl my eyes out any time I hear do you believe in miracles.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASmileyFace

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
@MarkT the only thing that you can do is try and help people get educated on politics and the impact it has on someone’s daily lives. Naturally starting at the local level makes the most sense. If you really want to make a difference get your neighbors/community active involved in local politics and let it grow from there. On a national scale, people are too damned stubborn and ignorant to verse themselves in politics outside of consuming social media slant/propoganda.
I don’t know what’s worse: back when information was unavailable, or now where social media can brain wash the masses. :dunno:

Reactions: MacBradley and Nzap

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I'm really Jonesing for hockey right now. like I'm in withdrawal. Just watched Miracle. Now on to Mystery, Alaska. Hoping it holds me over.

Edit, also man enough to admit I bawl my eyes out any time I hear do you believe in miracles.

I used to get through the summers watching classic hockey games when NHL vault was still around, but now i go to youtube. Surprising number of old Avs games from their heyday. Their use to be more WJC games on there but they're missing

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
@MarkT the only thing that you can do is try and help people get educated on politics and the impact it has on someone’s daily lives. Naturally starting at the local level makes the most sense. If you really want to make a difference get your neighbors/community active involved in local politics and let it grow from there. On a national scale, people are too damned stubborn and ignorant to verse themselves in politics outside of consuming social media slant/propoganda.
I don’t know what’s worse: back when information was unavailable, or now where social media can brain wash the masses. :dunno:

I used to do this, but I no longer live in my home country, and I don't feel like I have the right to try to change anything in a country where I'm not a citizen. I tried for a while to treat my friends online (on places like Facebook) like neighbors/community as you suggest, but it simply doesn't work online as well as it does in person.

Reactions: LieutenantDangle

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Decided to go on a quick crash diet cut phase in the middle of bulking with no transition period. I'm visiting my parents for a couple of weeks soon and I figured it'll be easier to decline food, rather than eat whatever. We'll see about this. Dropped a thousand calories straight up.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
On a good streak as far as movies go:

Solo, Avengers: IW, DP2, and tonight, Coco. All thoroughly enjoyable.

Dude, Coco was f***ing awesome! Then again I'm big-time biased because outside of the Cars franchise (hate it), and The Good Dinosaur (great idea, but man Pixar had a rough time getting that one made--look up its history), Pixar's got just an amazing track record.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Dude, Coco was ****ing awesome! Then again I'm big-time biased because outside of the Cars franchise (hate it), and The Good Dinosaur (great idea, but man Pixar had a rough time getting that one made--look up its history), Pixar's got just an amazing track record.
Pixar movies are awesome.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
They are man, they really are (except for the Cars franchise...I'll always hate them)
Yeah, I don't love those either... But kindergarten boys at least used to love them, so there's an audience.

I saw Inside Out not long ago and it was solid. But the real gem is A Bug's Life

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dude, Coco was ****ing awesome! Then again I'm big-time biased because outside of the Cars franchise (hate it), and The Good Dinosaur (great idea, but man Pixar had a rough time getting that one made--look up its history), Pixar's got just an amazing track record.

Pixar movies are awesome.

Yep, could not agree more.

I really liked the first Cars, haven't seen the other two yet. Wasn't thrilled with Good Dinosaur, and was sorely disappointed with Brave. Up is probably my favorite with Inside Out being a very close second. Coco is definitely up there though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yep, could not agree more.

I really liked the first Cars, haven't seen the other two yet. Wasn't thrilled with Good Dinosaur, and was sorely disappointed with Brave. Up is probably my favorite with Inside Out being a very close second. Coco is definitely up there though.

TGD just had a horrendous development cycle, which is highly unusual for a Pixar film.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Coco basically just made me cry for a solid two hours. So amazing. And I didn’t think I’d like it based in the concept.

We’re currently watching our way through Marvel. Had only seen Guardians before since neither of us is really into superhero stuff. Feel like we’ve been missing out as they’re surprisingly good.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I love Amazon. Order wasnt delivered due to damage so they refunded it. I'm about to take off on my plane and chatted with support for less than 60 seconds and they kicked off a free reorder and expedited shipping.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I love Amazon. Order wasnt delivered due to damage so they refunded it. I'm about to take off on my plane and chatted with support for less than 60 seconds and they kicked off a free reorder and expedited shipping.

It’s amazing. Jeff Bezos is going to take over the world with Amazon haha.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
So, I got a nasty sore throat over the weekend.

By Tuesday, my throat was incredibly inflamed and I couldn't swallow much of anything.
So I figured it was strep, and went to the doctor.
Their Rapid Strep Test said no, not strep. So they started treating for something viral.

Today I called in to the doc (actually had the missus call, cuz I couldn't even talk), because I had gotten much worse.
Could barely even breathe, and kept losing consciousness.

They sent me to an EmegiCare, who took one look and ordered me to go to the hospital emergency room. I had to convince them that I didn't need an ambulance, and that my wife could get me there.

At the hospital they said my blood-oxygen levels were "well below 60", and that's why I kept just falling asleep in the middle of whatever.

Turns out I did have strep, along with acute pharyngitis, and a 2 cm X 2 cm X 2 cm peritonsillar abscess, as revealed by the CT Scan.

They drained it with syringes and with incisions, and I'm OK now.
But the way they painted it, I could have died since I was losing consciousness, drooling, and my throat was only open a few mm. Or had brain damage from the lack of oxygen. Or whatever else.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

By Tuesday, my throat was incredibly inflamed and I couldn't swallow much of anything.
Their Rapid Strep Test said no, not strep. So they started treating for something viral.

Today I called in to the doc (actually had the missus call, cuz I couldn't even talk), because I had gotten much worse.

They sent me to an EmegiCare, who took one look and ordered me to go to the hospital emergency room. I had to convince them that I didn't need an ambulance, and that my wife could get me there.

At the hospital they said my blood-oxygen levels were "well below 60", and that's why I kept just falling asleep in the middle of whatever.

Turns out I did have strep, along with acute pharyngitis, and a 2 cm X 2 cm X 2 cm peritonsillar abscess, as revealed by the CT Scan.

But the way they painted it, I could have died since I was losing consciousness, drooling, and my throat was only open a few mm. Or had brain damage from the lack of oxygen. Or whatever else.

Good god, Bubba!

Thank God (or whoever) you're alright.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

Oh my jesus, so sorry , hope you feel better.

Also mouth/throat pain is just the fcuking worst, its amazing how much you notice it when you try to just ...well live.
--Like drink some water, nope, throat is all jacked up and feels like theres a sharp spike back there, and orange juice?, not unless you want to go insane from the pain
--Eat a potato chip, nope, the sharpness of the chip and salt rubs against the convieniently placed canker sore and you just want to kill yourself lol

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Maybe not exactly what I'm looking for, but I think it gets the sentiment across:

careful-boy-im-old-good-reason-wolf-tshirt.jpg

And thanks, everyone, for the well wishes.
I'm not a guy to pop pain pills, so this will be rough for a few days.
They don't put you out for that.
Just a local, and hold on!
(unless I had wanted to get admitted, and stay overnight. I did not want that. Just ER fees were enough for this penny-pinching old goat.)

Doc also said I have a deviated septum.
Probably from getting my nose broken in 2 places (same side) when I was a teenager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad