OT: The Avalounge but every time someone posts the quality declines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Guys I’m having a girl!!!
She is going to be so obstinate

As long as you get her to 18 without a) being on the stripper pole and b) not pregnant....you’ve done your job.

Wife and I are going to maybe try for a second. The thought of having a little girl terrifies me.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
There's got to be other opportunities in the same filed, no?
You don't get to be the senior supervisor without knowing your stuff...
I've been out there in the retail world. It's not a good place to be. A week ago, I would have told you that I loved my job and that my company would never do that to me (independent business). To have this happen in the span of a week just turns my world upside down.

I'm not sure if I even want to go back into that field. The problem is the only other skills I have are just nerd shit and I'm not qualified for anything else. I'm going to a career placement guy next week to see if there's anything else out there for me.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I've been out there in the retail world. It's not a good place to be. A week ago, I would have told you that I loved my job and that my company would never do that to me (independent business). To have this happen in the span of a week just turns my world upside down.

I'm not sure if I even want to go back into that field. The problem is the only other skills I have are just nerd **** and I'm not qualified for anything else. I'm going to a career placement guy next week to see if there's anything else out there for me.

Doesn't have to be an exact same kind of place.

Your skills will transfer to another career trajectory.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
As long as you get her to 18 without a) being on the stripper pole and b) not pregnant....you’ve done your job.

Wife and I are going to maybe try for a second. The thought of having a little girl terrifies me.
Lol my husband is pretty nervous. I have enough faith in my abilities as a parent that she won’t be on a stripper pole at least. I can see pregnant maybe. You can do everything right aside from abstain completely and could still get pregnant and we all know how teenagers are. Know some good responsible people that got pregnant in high school. Obviously will do my best to teach her well, though lol

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So I am...or was planning a mountain trip in CO with a couple of my friends, but since half of the state is on fire we actually decided on making a bigger one. I was thinking of Yellowstone and wanted some input from the people who’ve been there. For one, is it worth it? Is it a tourist trap? If it’s not, what areas of the park is the go-to sites? Hidden gems? What should I do and what should I not do? Anything else I should know?

Thanks brahs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So I am...or was planning a mountain trip in CO with a couple of my friends, but since half of the state is on fire we actually decided on making a bigger one. I was thinking of Yellowstone and wanted some input from the people who’ve been there. For one, is it worth it? Is it a tourist trap? If it’s not, what areas of the park is the go-to sites? Hidden gems? What should I do and what should I not do? Anything else I should know?

Thanks brahs.
Yellowstone is really crowded. Cool, but there's people everywhere. My personal favorite up there is Grand Teton national park. Gorgeous scenery but not nearly as packed with people.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yellowstone is always incredibly crowded with people. If you can get past that it is gorgeous and there are a lot of cool places to see. If you can't stand being around tons of people with your nature, you'd be better off somewhere else... even Teton wouldn't be nearly as crowded.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
If you want to avoid crowds but still want to go up that way, playing around in the Wind River range would be an option. Depends if you are going for sightseeing or if you are going for adventure.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
If you want to avoid crowds but still want to go up that way, playing around in the Wind River range would be an option. Depends if you are going for sightseeing or if you are going for adventure.

Well don, HF. I was just going to suggest this. The Wind River Range is awesome, and there are certainly no crowds there. I did a several day hiking adventure with a couple of buds some years back, and we didn't see another soul.

I like the Mount Zirkel wilderness in the Park Range also. Same sort of thing.

Reactions: madman

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'

Thanks brahs.
Are you still going to be traveling through Colorado at all still?

As others have said Yellowstone, while an incredible place, is quite crowded and busy this time of year. Grand Teton is amazing, but will be busy too. I'll be traveling through there to (hopefully) climb the Grand later this month (weather depending).

No matter what National Park you go to, as long as you are willing to hike a decent distance the amount of people drop dramatically. Something like 95% of all park visitors never get more than a 1/4 of a mile off pavement. Camping and driving could be an issue but if you have any questions on free Forest Service/BLM camping you're more than welcome to ask me or check out Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!

The Wind River's are about as remote as it gets in the USA. Beautiful landscape and incredible mountains. Totally worth looking up if you're willing to do a good backpacking trip there.

Depending on how committed to a big drive you could also consider Glacier National Park too. Much less crowded and somewhere I will also be visiting later this month on my vanlife roadtrip.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Wind River's are about as remote as it gets in the USA. Beautiful landscape and incredible mountains. Totally worth looking up if you're willing to do a good backpacking trip there.

There isn't a better set of mountains to explore IMO. The Winds are up there with my favorite places in the world.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
There isn't a better set of mountains to explore IMO. The Winds are up there with my favorite places in the world.
I haven't explored there myself, which is why I'm planning on spending a good portion of this little road trip in Lander. I really can't wait to check it out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I haven't explored there myself, which is why I'm planning on spending a good portion of this little road trip in Lander. I really can't wait to check it out.

Do it! I try to make a yearly backpacking trip through part of the range. One of these years I will climb Gannett...

My tip, it is completely worth it to buy a reservation permit to explore through the reservation. Some of the best access is right through the reservation.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Well don, HF. I was just going to suggest this. The Wind River Range is awesome, and there are certainly no crowds there. I did a several day hiking adventure with a couple of buds some years back, and we didn't see another soul.

I like the Mount Zirkel wilderness in the Park Range also. Same sort of thing.

I spent yesterday in the Zirkels... such an underrated part of Colorado. The lack of 14ers in NW CO is actually a good thing up here, keeps the Zirkels and Flattops pretty quiet and super accessible.

I love the southern portion of the state but the fires are definitely an issue this summer. Chicago Basin is a gem but anything in the Durango/Silverton/Telluride/Lake City area is at risk (as evidenced by the San Juan NF closure last month).

Last edited:

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I spent yesterday in the Zirkels... such an underrated part of Colorado. The lack of 14ers in NW CO is actually a good thing up here, keeps the Zirkels and Flattops pretty quiet and super accesible.

I love the southern portion of the state but the fires are definitely an issue this summer. Chicago Basin is a gem but anything in the Durange/Silverton/Telluride/Lake City area is at risk (as evidenced by the San Juan NF closure last month).
The damn fire have really sucked the wind out of a lot of the adventures I have planned out in the Weminuche this season. At least with the train not running the crowds out there will be non-existent (really anywhere besides the Chicago Basin in the Nuche rarely has anyone.

Hopefully the Monsoons will bring us back a bit from the crazy rain deficit we are in now. I also just heard that it is dumping on the 416 Fire! Yay!

Reactions: madman and S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks lads' a lot for all the info!

Are you still going to be traveling through Colorado at all still?

As others have said Yellowstone, while an incredible place, is quite crowded and busy this time of year. Grand Teton is amazing, but will be busy too. I'll be traveling through there to (hopefully) climb the Grand later this month (weather depending).

No matter what National Park you go to, as long as you are willing to hike a decent distance the amount of people drop dramatically. Something like 95% of all park visitors never get more than a 1/4 of a mile off pavement. Camping and driving could be an issue but if you have any questions on free Forest Service/BLM camping you're more than welcome to ask me or check out Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!

Depending on how committed to a big drive you could also consider Glacier National Park too. Much less crowded and somewhere I will also be visiting later this month on my vanlife roadtrip.
Probably not (driving thru, yes, visiting no). We originally wanted to go to (pretty much) every place that currently has a wildfire in it. Then we got a great deal on a rental car as one of my friend's dad works for one of those companies. Since we can use the car longer for the same price as two to three days, we made the decision to drive further away. None of us have been to Yellowstone so we decided to go to a place we've never been before. But because of that we are quite noob in terms of what there's to do out there and the "ins" of the park/surrounding area.

People don't really bug me, I think I am going to be more pissed about the *insert random Eastcoaster here* hogging roads in tour buses more than anything else. Them and the stupid people who think they need to bicycle through the park on a one-lane road - something that all of us have had to experience in the CO. Not sure we're going to go camping this time, so far we have planned to stay in either Cody or Jackson (as of now).

So is The Wind River a park or an actual river? I told them what you guys said about Grand Teton National Park and they're down for it (any go-to areas here?). What areas of Yellowstone are actually worth the visit? In addition Smiley/others, I don't care about Old Faithful if I can see other hot-springs that have fewer visiting people, so are there any others in the park/surrounding area that considered "hidden gems"?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Thanks lads' a lot for all the info!

Probably not (driving thru, yes, visiting no). We originally wanted to go to (pretty much) every place that currently has a wildfire in it. Then we got a great deal on a rental car as one of my friend's dad works for one of those companies. Since we can use the car longer for the same price as two to three days, we made the decision to drive further away. None of us have been to Yellowstone so we decided to go to a place we've never been before. But because of that we are quite noob in terms of what there's to do out there and the "ins" of the park/surrounding area.

People don't really bug me, I think I am going to be more pissed about the *insert random Eastcoaster here* hogging roads in tour buses more than anything else. Them and the stupid people who think they need to bicycle through the park on a one-lane road - both that all of us have had to experience in the CO. Not sure we're going to go camping this time, so far we have planned to stay in either Cody or Jackson (as of now).

So is The Wind River a park or an actual river? I told them what you guys said about Grand Teton National Park and they're down for it (any go-to areas here?). What areas of Yellowstone are actually worth the visit? In addition Smiley, I don't care about Old Faithful if I can see other hot-springs that have fewer visited people in the park or the in the surrounding area, are there any?

It's a mountain range in central Wyoming. Absolutely stunning. But only if you are interested in some intense back country backpacking. If it's for this summer, it's probably too late to really plan it anyway.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's a mountain range in central Wyoming. Absolutely stunning. But only if you are interested in some intense back country backpacking. If it's for this summer, it's probably too late to really plan it anyway.
I just googled it and holy **** you weren't joking.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

Thanks brahs.

Bro you gotta check out Zion National Park in Utah. The Narrows is one of the largest slot canyons in the world and you can spelunk up there for days. Also angels landing for a shorter half day hike that’ll really get your endorphins flowing (especially if you’re not great with heights).

@ASmileyFace Glacier is amazing. I live about 90 miles away in a lake community right now. Hit me up if you wanna grab a beer on your way through.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bro you gotta check out Zion National Park in Utah. The Narrows is one of the largest slot canyons in the world and you can spelunk up there for days. Also angels landing for a shorter half day hike that’ll really get your endorphins flowing (especially if you’re not great with heights).

@ASmileyFace Glacier is amazing. I live about 90 miles away in a lake community right now. Hit me up if you wanna grab a beer on your way through.
Utah will probably be another year/trip, but I definitely have plans hitting that area up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad