The Athletic's article questioning favorite player's performance

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s just great that “Russian bad!” lives on.

I think Geno needs to take the initiative there. He's the generational talent (no matter what the age) with goal scoring pedigree on what amounts to a layup. Over thinking and getting in too tight. Plus at the speed they were going at should not have resulted in no shot at all. Did Rask deflect that final pass? I think these guys don't have the killer instinct anymore or realize they are still the top players on the team.

I want to say, anymore, I don't want the two most troubled guys being the ones to hold the game in their hands. A Tweedily Dee and Tweedily Dumb moment. They played that perfectly considering that. Bergeron and Marchand are just as old and that wouldn't happen in that situation.

Sucks when the goalie doesn't have to be a brick wall when two come down with one already in place between the ears. Both got to deep.

Last edited:

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Funny you haven't mentioned the primary assist to Kap....:thumbu: Guess that wouldn't fit your narrative though.

I mean do we really need to celebrate every little thing favorite player does? I mean it was a nice primary assist but was it amazing? Was it worth my time to post?

No it wasn't. He gets paid to produce like that. If that play caused you to have to clean yourself up then that's your problem not mine.

Dude makes 9 million dollars. Start playing like it. His "effort" is all star game level right now.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
26186_1_large.jpg

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This thread exits just to trash Malkin by a hater. People should just stop posting in here. Why doesn’t this poster set up separate threads for other players performing badly, like Jake, Sid, Marino etc...there’s quite a few? Mods should have closed this thread a long time ago...

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This thread exits just to trash Malkin by a hater. People should just stop posting in here. Why doesn’t this poster set up separate threads for other players performing badly, like Jake, Sid, Marino etc...there’s quite a few? Mods should have closed this thread a long time ago...
Why should it be closed? I do believe we should take an even handed approach, but that said no one is forcing any of us to post in such a thread. We don't need to cancel everything we don't agree with. Geno does deserve some criticism from time to time. As most any player does. Does the OP seem to have an agenda here? Yes lol

But we know that when we enter the thread.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
I mean do we really need to celebrate every little thing favorite player does? I mean it was a nice primary assist but was it amazing? Was it worth my time to post?

No it wasn't. He gets paid to produce like that. If that play caused you to have to clean yourself up then that's your problem not mine.

Dude makes 9 million dollars. Start playing like it. His "effort" is all star game level right now.

Often times great players aren't making the flashiest plays, but the right ones. Lol if you think that "favorite player" is bad can't imagine what you think of an actually bad contract....
This "nice assist" was also Kap's first goal as a Penguin. :huh:

But you know.... Malkin is evil.
download.jpg

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Why should it be closed? I do believe we should take an even handed approach, but that said no one is forcing any of us to post in such a thread. We don't need to cancel everything we don't agree with. Geno does deserve some criticism from time to time. As most any player does. Does the OP seem to have an agenda here? Yes lol

But we know that when we enter the thread.

Its fine if people want to fill me, the second hand messenger, with bullet holes. I assume favorite player will go on a hot streak and then the keyboard experts will flock to this thread to rub it in my face.

All I want is a little more consistency and team play. That's not too much to ask. If he improves the Penguins are a better team. And that would make me happy.

I mean will still have a ridiculous "Fire Sullivan" thread going when his team is 4-0-1 since it was started and upped.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Keep this thread up so I can bump it in a month when he starts to heat up.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

Is there a chance, just maybe, the player making the most money playing the worst hockey of his career deserves to be criticized?

Posters criticized Simon, ZAR, Sullivan, JR and Johnson here on a daily basis. Why do we have different rules for favorite player? And if I'm breaking a rule of the messageboard let me know I'm unaware of it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Its fine if people want to fill me, the second hand messenger, with bullet holes. I assume favorite player will go on a hot streak and then the keyboard experts will flock to this thread to rub it in my face.

All I want is a little more consistency and team play. That's not too much to ask. If he improves the Penguins are a better team. And that would make me happy.

I mean will still have a ridiculous "Fire Sullivan" thread going when his team is 4-0-1 since it was started and upped.
I honestly don't think people disagree with your premise, they just question your motivation. lol

You're certainly not the only one criticizing his play thus far. Many have wondered what's up with Geno.

I fully expect Geno to reemerge as an elite player and soon. But most certainly the current criticism is warranted. Obviously coming from you (in making this thread) it kinda has a taint to it (no offense).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Is there a chance, just maybe, the player making the most money playing the worst hockey of his career deserves to be criticized?

Posters criticized Simon, ZAR, Sullivan, JR and Johnson here on a daily basis. Why do we have different rules for favorite player? And if I'm breaking a rule of the messageboard let me know I'm unaware of it.

He deserves to be criticized, as do many other players playing like crap. But they don’t have separate threads. Coaching and management deserve their own threads. Players are criticized in all other threads routinely. I don’t think this one player deserves a separate thread

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why are you guys even like... entertaining this?

Ya'll not familiar with this individuals "work?" If there is one thing more pathetic than Malkin's skid it's this guy showing up every time it happens like clockwork then ghosting for months at a time when he's putting up his usual... and HOF caliber... PPG+ rate.

Plus it's not exactly impressive to say "ThIs GuY BlOwS!" for 14 years. I mean... eventually, when said player nears retirement age, you'll be right! So I'm calling it now guys... McDavid f***ing sucks. Just the worst. Hotdog showboat. You won't see me around much the next 12 years but rest assured I'll have something to say when he goes a few games without scoring. Then eventually, when he is like 35 and has sustained like 2 dozen injuries and a half dozen surgeries to correct them... YOU'LL see! You'll ALL see!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
@Andy99, the only noxious part of Junior Junior's thread is the narrative driven misrepresentation of Jesse's work. It was an intelligent article by someone who's work is worth the price of admission to The Athletic alone.

As for the rest of the narrative, it's important to consider the inspiration . . .

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Andy99

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Why are you guys even like... entertaining this?

Ya'll not familiar with this individuals "work?" If there is one thing more pathetic than Malkin's skid it's this guy showing up every time it happens like clockwork then ghosting for months at a time when he's putting up his usual... and HOF caliber... PPG+ rate.

Plus it's not exactly impressive to say "ThIs GuY BlOwS!" for 14 years. I mean... eventually, when said player nears retirement age, you'll be right! So I'm calling it now guys... McDavid f***ing sucks. Just the worst. Hotdog showboat. You won't see me around much the next 12 years but rest assured I'll have something to say when he goes a few games without scoring. Then eventually, when he is like 35 and has sustained like 2 dozen injuries and a half dozen surgeries to correct them... YOU'LL see! You'll ALL see!

hey willy you smell like farts

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

This is a direct quote from the article you cited in your original post: "I wouldn’t expect this slump to last too long. Malkin is simply too talented not to dial it in eventually ..." I don't think it's the first time in this thread that this quote has been cited to you. I'm having a hard time figuring out a good-faith reason why you would make this thread. As other posters in here have pointed out to you, Malkin is receiving justified criticism regularly in the GDTs, PGTs, and elsewhere. What else are you looking for?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
This is a direct quote from the article you cited in your original post: "I wouldn’t expect this slump to last too long. Malkin is simply too talented not to dial it in eventually ..." I don't think it's the first time in this thread that this quote has been cited to you. I'm having a hard time figuring out a good-faith reason why you would make this thread. As other posters in here have pointed out to you, Malkin is receiving justified criticism regularly in the GDTs, PGTs, and elsewhere. What else are you looking for?

If you don't like the deep dive than get off the diving board.

This is how the article was advertised on twitter:

One has to wonder in good faith why he would write such an article.

Geno nation. Number #1 producer of lotion for their soft skin.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
If you don't like the deep dive than get off the diving board.

This is how the article was advertised on twitter:

One has to wonder in good faith why he would write such an article.

Geno nation. Number #1 producer of lotion for their soft skin.

So far you’ve posted an image from the article, a context-free video clip from the article, and a tweet about the article, but you clearly didn’t read or understand any of the text. Based on your response to me, you also don’t seem to understand what the phrase “in good faith” means, or how to correctly use the diving-board metaphor you inserted into the first sentence. I’m now more concerned about you than Geno.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah man I quoted a portion of the article and my opinion you know was not in quotes.

stop wasting my time. Put me on mute. It’s sad for you.

What is sad is you thinking Malkin is definitely done after only a 7 game slow start with no preseason games. Every player is different and some can play at top form without having any game action and others need several games to get in season form. How do we know if Malkin is just one of those players that needs those preseason games to get into form and can't play well without a 6 game start up? I think Malkin is starting to get into game form now. Not going to judge him on such a small sample size without any games before the season. Malkin had one of the best PPG's in the NHL last year so judging him on two situations that are not the norm seems short sighted. Last year's playoffs having a 5 game series after several months layoffs isn't the norm of being in top game form going into the playoffs normally. This year starting real games with no preseason games also fits that same standard.

So anyone that wants to judge Malkin after such a small sample size under those unnatural situations seems very reactionary which I am used to with many on these boards.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad