The Athletic's article questioning favorite player's performance

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Evgeni Malkin's slow start and the troubling truth: Marshall

Uh Oh. The video doesn't look good (see replay of Ranger's goal #2) and now the number aren't looking good by the number people (Jesse Marshall).

Here's a highlight:

Through the first six games of the season, Malkin’s Game Score impact is -0.26. That ranks him 371st among league forwards this season. I struggled to find a six-game stretch from the past two seasons where Malkin produced a negative Game Score this bad. As for his ability to generate quality shots, Malkin sits at 0.67 individual expected-goals generated, good for 121st among forwards in the league. This is the opposite of what we’ve come to expect and goes well beyond the realm of traditional slumps.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-25-at-3.42.42-PM-890x1024.png

Screen-Shot-2021-01-25-at-3.42.30-PM-896x1024.png

If you think this makes me happy as someone who has questioned and has been critical to favorite player for over 3 years...It doesn't.

A broken uninspired #71 will sink this organization. Not the coaching. Not the GM.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
i just want to know why last year, when Malkin was lighting up the league, you weren’t on here making threads and posting good articles and analytics about him showing how great he was doing...I think you deserve to have all your threads closed...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
i just want to know why last year, when Malkin was lighting up the league, you weren’t on here making threads and posting good articles and analytics about him showing how great he was doing...I think you deserve to have all your threads closed...
Geno does indeed deserve criticism, (well, any player really) when they're not playing up to their abilities. But you're right, if you want to criticize them when they're bad, you should be intellectually honest enough to acknowledge when they're playing really well.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

I was probably talking about him being ineffective during the past playoffs (what really matters). Then look what happened.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Zucker was streaky and demoted to the 3rd/4th line in Minnesota. Zucker will get a goal and then start to heat up. At that time, Malkin will start racking up the points and this thread will look stupid.

Reactions: Ryder71

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I think we can all agree that Geno's current slump is not indicative of his HOF career and he will rebound sooner than later.

With that being said, he's 34 and obviously past his prime. Regardless of his performance last season, to expect another 100 point season from him is foolish. However, I still expect a point per game production out of him until he proves that he isn't that player anymore.

And most importantly, he's on my fantasy team so he better rebound.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
It's funny how normal scoring will also fix the defensive issues. That line has had so many great chances to bury the puck and then the other team goes back and scores a goal. If we start to get normal production, Geno is no where near as bad defensively as the "charts" would like to make him out to be.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
So why do we care what Malkin is doing right now if we are winning and are in a playoff position?

I don't think I could make it anymore clear. I don't think he's effective as a 5 on 5 player when the games tighten up. Guess what happens in playoff hockey?

Open your eyes and mind.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
This is like Twitter PensChronicles/Letang shit. Man, where did Geno hurt you?

He hasn't but I'm not the one paying him. As favorite player goes the Penguins go.

Squeezing one more title out of this core would be amazing. Not likely but let's get a little more dialed in as an attempt.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This cat cracks me up.

Wags his finger at other posters for being upset with Sullivan and calls them bad fans, yet wages his own holy war agt Malkin.

Always comical when we have posters who don't even recognize their insta-hypocrisy.

I can't stop laughing every time you post bro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad