The Armchair GM Thread - Soon We Can Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rather just wait for the big fish and sign Lucic.

Lucic - Horvat - Virtanen

Who can knock the puck off these guys?

If you're responding to my post, are you suggesting we shouldn't make small moves right now in the hope we can give a massive contract to Lucic next summer?

Friberg is a player. Would have happily traded a mid-round pick for him.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Would have substantial interest in Max Friberg who was just waived by Anaheim - has been waived early to try and sneak him through much like Markstrom last year.

This is the sort of guy a retooling team should be looking at for a bottom-6 spot, not junk like Prust.

Excellent skater/defensive forward with grit and a history of big-game goals who has produced quality AHL numbers the past two years.

Don't need wingers but this is the sort of guy I'd make room for.

Totally agree. Yet we throw away draft picks for bottom 6 forwards despite the fact that plenty of quality bottom 6 forwards are available cheaply in UFA every year and a couple of potentially solid ones get waived during camp as well.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Would have substantial interest in Max Friberg who was just waived by Anaheim - has been waived early to try and sneak him through much like Markstrom last year.

This is the sort of guy a retooling team should be looking at for a bottom-6 spot, not junk like Prust.

Excellent skater/defensive forward with grit and a history of big-game goals who has produced quality AHL numbers the past two years.

Don't need wingers but this is the sort of guy I'd make room for.

His numbers in his first AHL season isn't that much better than what Hunter Shinkaruk put up last season (difference coming from a small handful of assists). Yet that's good production for Friberg, but not for Shinkaruk?

I wouldn't be against Friberg though, as I agree we need more players like him and less veterans like Prust, but your opinion of him is interesting and inconsistent with your opinion of some of our own prospects.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
His numbers in his first AHL season isn't that much better than what Hunter Shinkaruk put up last season (difference coming from a small handful of assists). Yet that's good production for Friberg, but not for Shinkaruk?

I wouldn't be against Friberg though, as I agree we need more players like him and less veterans like Prust, but your opinion of him is interesting and inconsistent with your opinion of some of our own prospects.

Because he's a stocky 5'10 2 hundred something that could fit in a bottom 6 role, whereas Shinkaruk the wraparound artist seems to be top 6 or bust

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Friberg is a gritty bottom-6 guy with a defensive acumen. Shinkaruk is not.

Obviously the standards are different. A guy like Gaunce who projects as a checker doesn't need to score at the same rate as a guy like Shinkaruk (or Jensen) who projects as a top-6 scorer or nothing else.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Were pretty low on the waiver claim list. I imagine friberg gets claimed before we have a chance,(that we may not even use)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Were pretty low on the waiver claim list. I imagine friberg gets claimed before we have a chance,(that we may not even use)

Friberg is a European with low-ish PIM totals so I'd imagine he doesn't even register as a bottom-6 option with Benning and his cookie cutter whiteboard.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It might be pretty frustrating watching McCann serving up some buttery passes and have the tomato cans smashing it into a d-mans shin or 10ft wide of the net. But just think of the mentoring he will get.

I just can't stop laughing every time I envision that. At least the poorly muscled McCann would be taken care of. That's about it.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
If you're responding to my post, are you suggesting we shouldn't make small moves right now in the hope we can give a massive contract to Lucic next summer?

Friberg is a player. Would have happily traded a mid-round pick for him.

He wouldn't affect a player of Lucic's calibre.

But we have a plethora amount of young guys in our own system trying to crack the bottom 6. Kenins, Guance and McCann are here to stay. Until we trade away a guy like Higgins, there seems to be too many players and not enough spots.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He wouldn't affect a player of Lucic's calibre.

But we have a plethora amount of young guys in our own system trying to crack the bottom 6. Kenins, Guance and McCann are here to stay. Until we trade away a guy like Higgins, there seems to be too many players and not enough spots.

This is the issue with this management group. We talk about trading away Higgins to make room for youth because we know Vey, Prust, and Dorsett have spots on the team. Those are the guys taking positions away not Higgins who is an effective player. Which is to say it is precisely the managment of this team that is taking positions away from the kids.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
This is the issue with this management group. We talk about trading away Higgins to make room for youth because we know Vey, Prust, and Dorsett have spots on the team. Those are the guys taking positions away not Higgins who is an effective player. Which is to say it is precisely the managment of this team that is taking positions away from the kids.

Prust Dorsett play different roles than Higgins.

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
Prust Dorsett play different roles than Higgins.

Looks like Prust and Drosett fill the same role from where I'm sitting. But I guess having two people to fit one role is a good thing some how. Too bad we are doing it on the 4th line face puncher 'role' and not the franchise center 'role'.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
I have a feeling that once Vrbata finds out Sutter can't set him up or run an offense, nor can Vey be effective, he's going to demand to be playing with Horvat and will force the coaches hand.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I've consistently taken the position that the trade was an idiotic one, but I'm changing my stance that we have to trust management on this one particular trade.

But why trade it when his value is so low? The only way I see this as an acceptable move is if Kassian's back is really ****ed up.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I have a feeling that once Vrbata finds out Sutter can't set him up or run an offense, nor can Vey be effective, he's going to demand to be playing with Horvat and will force the coaches hand.

Desjardins is gone by the end of the season.

Sedins and Vrbata are already coaching for him

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

I think he already knows. He seemed to be putting in more effort during the game on Horvat's line compared to his half-assing his way through the one with Sutter.

SaltySnipes*

Does anybody more and more not want Lucic? I'd rather just get rid of Higgins and one of Prust or Dorsett and play the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad