The Armchair GM Thread - Soon We Can Hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Media personalities are the biggest scum bags on the planet. Pulling himself over injury concerns and not having a good relationship with a coach who had a bunch of ugly rumors floating around about him. HE'S MENTALLY UNSTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiots.

When it comes to Hasek Kelly may have had a point. This is a guy who in an inline league in the Czech republic beat a guy unconscious with his stick and was charged with assault.

He's also a guy who many wings players felt did not dedicate himself to getting better one year. When Hasek took to the ice for his last practice that year before putting himself on the shelf, Red Wing players proceeded to shoot pucks at his head.

Hasek was an amazing talent. He was also a head case.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
When it comes to Hasek Kelly may have had a point. This is a guy who in an inline league in the Czech republic beat a guy unconscious with his stick and was charged with assault.

That story sure took off. I don't think anyone truly knows what happened beyond the people that were at the game. Hasek was investigated twice and both times the police found no evidence of any wrong-doing. The guy himself also pressed no charges. So he was definitely never charged.

Even if we believe the worst-case reports, he didn't beat a guy unconscious, he supposedly cross-checked or body-checked him in the face. Resulting in two broken teeth, bruising, etc.

(And Hasek was never particularly popular as a person and from what I recall, the Czech media had a habit of trying to run him down.)

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That story sure took off. I don't think anyone truly knows what happened beyond the people that were at the game. Hasek was investigated twice and both times the police found no evidence of any wrong-doing. The guy himself also pressed no charges. So he was definitely never charged.

Even if we believe the worst-case reports, he didn't beat a guy unconscious, he supposedly cross-checked or body-checked him in the face. Resulting in two broken teeth, bruising, etc.

He was unconscious and suffered a concussion as well from everything I've seen or remember reading.

Either way it's not like Hasek was the most stable of individuals. Teammates on both the Sabres and Wings believed he quit on the team at various times. And he certainly had a temper.

The funniest thing was when he went charging down to go after Roy and wiped out just before getting there and bowling balled himself into the scrum.

Goaltender with a high scrum factor.....it wasn't my intention to have a serious discussion on this though. I was really just throwing out a light hearted comment about being good in (media) scrums.

Last edited:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Assuming McCann and Hutton are the real deal, then adding Lucic would compliment this group moving forward next year.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Lucic
Gaunce - McCann - Virtanen
Kenins - Sutter - Hansen
(Dorsett)

Edler - Tanev
Byfuglien - Bean
Hutton - Corrado
(Weber)

Markstrom
Miller

I guess it's decent for next year :dunno:

As far as this season goes I'd like to see:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Prust - Horvat - Hansen
Higgins - Sutter - Burrows
Baertschi - McCann - Dorsett
Kenins

Something along these lines...perhaps switching the wings on Horvat's line with McCann's line as well. IE

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Dorsett
Prust - McCann - Hansen
Kenins

Depending on chemistry, fit and usage. TOI determined by usage (obviously matching the Sedins and the Sutter / Burrows line against other team's top lines). Sutter and Burrows have some chemistry, and Prust and Dorsett should not be on the same line imo.

The defense is a bit of a mess, as per usual a few too many lefties. I really want to see more of Hutton before I'm confident in putting him on the roster...

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartkowski - Sbisa

Pretty ugly tbh, I honestly have no idea where to even being with pairings if Hutton he does make the team.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I guess it's decent for next year :dunno:

As far as this season goes I'd like to see:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Prust - Horvat - Hansen
Baertschi - McCann - Dorsett
Kenins

Something along these lines...perhaps switching the wings on Horvat's line with McCann's line as well. IE

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Dorsett
Prust - McCann - Hansen
Kenins

Depending on chemistry, fit and usage. TOI determined by usage (obviously matching the Sedins and the Sutter / Burrows line against other team's top lines). Sutter and Burrows have some chemistry, and Prust and Dorsett should not be on the same line imo.

The defense is a bit of a mess, as per usual a few too many lefties. I really want to see more of Hutton before I'm confident in putting him on the roster...

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartkowski - Sbisa

Pretty ugly tbh, I honestly have no idea where to even being with pairings if Hutton he does make the team.

At first I thought you were joking, then you went on to explain the TOI usage. How did you get Dorsett on the 2nd line? Or Prust?

Horvat has played himself off Dorsett or Prust's line. He is not a legit 3rd or 2nd liner who needs guys like Baertschi, Vrbata, Burrows, etc.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
At first I thought you were joking, then you went on to explain the TOI usage. How did you get Dorsett on the 2nd line? Or Prust?

Horvat has played himself off Dorsett or Prust's line. He is not a legit 3rd or 2nd liner who needs guys like Baertschi, Vrbata, Burrows, etc.

I'm not really thinking in terms of 2nd line, 3rd line, 4th line. More along the lines of the top line playing 20 minutes, and lines "2" through "4" playing approximately 13/14 minutes per game. Perhaps the McCann line playing more like 10 with the other two playing 15.

I do think Prust and Dorsett should be separated in order to spread the meat and potatoes all over the plate as it were. And to insulate the team a bit from their deficits.

I suppose you could put Prust with Sutter and Burrows as well.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen
Prust - Sutter - Burrows
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
I'm not really thinking in terms of 2nd line, 3rd line, 4th line. More along the lines of the top line playing 20 minutes, and lines "2" through "4" playing approximately 13/14 minutes per game. Perhaps the McCann line playing more like 10 with the other two playing 15.

I do think Prust and Dorsett should be separated in order to spread the meat and potatoes all over the plate as it were. And to insulate the team a bit from their deficits.

I suppose you could put Prust with Sutter and Burrows as well.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen
Prust - Sutter - Burrows
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett

Prust can not skate with Sutter and Burrows or any combination of Horvat or McCann. He does not have the foot speed.

Vrbata is not great at ES with the Sedins. He is great with them on the PP.

There is no reason at all both Prust and Dorsett skate on the same night. They should be at best a press box rotation with each other with Prust sitting more than Dorsett.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Burrows-Sutter-Virtanen
Higgins-McCann-Dorsett
Prust/Gaunce (who I would play left side till Higgins comes back)

Waive Vey. I would also trade Prust but no way Benning does that. Have to evaluate again when Higgins comes back. if Gaunce has made a case for him to stick you have to look for a trade for Higgins.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Bartkowski (who played on his offside with the Bruins last year)
Sbisa

Corrado just doesn't seem to be progressing even though having him as the right side 3rd pairing guy would be optimal, need to send him back down even if he gets picked on waivers.

Miller hasn't earned opening night or a default 50-60 games with his play so far. So I would go:
Markstrom
Miller

2 game rotation until one is proven he should get the bulk of the work.

PP1

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata-Sutter-Edler

PP2

Horvat-McCann-Burrows-Hutton-Weber

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
His leadership is more than enough on this team.

Cool. Put him in a suit and make him assistant coach in charge of carrying culture. Don't put the boat anchor on the ice.

I do not for one second buy into the Benning BS about the need for this team to have guys like Prust. There are not two players in the entire league that work harder or have more character than Hank and Dan.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Cool. Put him in a suit and make him assistant coach in charge of carrying culture. Don't put the boat anchor on the ice.

Chop wood, carry...culture?

The new slogan for Eakins.

I do not for one second buy into the Benning BS about the need for this team to have guys like Prust. There are not two players in the entire league that work harder or have more character than Hank and Dan.

It was, is and will be a farce. You have the twins who as you say will not be outworked or out prepared by anyone. Perfect mentors. You have a guy like Burrows who went from being undrafted, playing in the ECHL to NHL top line in 5 years. Tanev...undrafted who is now a top pairing guy. The team had plenty of leaders and guys to look up to and draw inspiration from. Hell they had Lack who went undrafted and was playing backup in the SEL working his butt off to displace Luongo as a number 1! Far better role model and mentor for Markstrom (who was the starter he played behind in Sweden) than Miller who has had numerous issues with back ups and what not.

Like Sutter, MIller and Sbisa, Prust is simply someone Benning put on a list 5 or 6 years ago that had the heading "players I want no matter what when I become a general manager". That's when his evaluation of these players ended.

5 years ago Sutter was intriguing. A 40 point sophomore good at the defensive end of the ice. Prust at 25ish point tough as nails bottom 6 player. Sbisa a promising young NHL D-man who could be a #4 one day, and Miller and Vezina winner. Those are the evaluations he is using...not what they have done the last 200+ games they've played.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It will be interesting to see how contracts will play a roll..

Without roster restrictions, all of McCann, Virtanen and Hutton could earn looks on opening day.

But it looks like we only have cap room to have only one of them on opening day.
You could keep 2 if you send down Kenins for the start of the season...

You can't waive Vey... because as frustrating as he is in terms of fit with everyone healthy... Everyone is never healthy... the kid is valuable as a 13th forward with his versatility and we need him. He is not a defensive liability, he possesses enough skill that he doesn't need to be sheltered and can play 13-14 mins if needed.
People underestimate how much value he has.

Corrado... there's something there, only i haven't seen it yet. Waiving him and Fedun could result in one of them switching teams... its a gamble in terms of asset management.

I think Hutton's contract situation will dictate him to be sent down for opening night, and battle with Fedun and Biega to earn call up duty.

Corrado could be a place holder like Stanton was at times last yr... someone gets hurt, a player gets called up, Corrodao steps in but splits duties with the call up - depending on performance of course..

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It will be interesting to see how contracts will play a roll..

Without roster restrictions, all of McCann, Virtanen and Hutton could earn looks on opening day.

But it looks like we only have cap room to have only one of them on opening day.
You could keep 2 if you send down Kenins for the start of the season...

You can't waive Vey... because as frustrating as he is in terms of fit with everyone healthy... Everyone is never healthy... the kid is valuable as a 13th forward with his versatility and we need him. He is not a defensive liability, he possesses enough skill that he doesn't need to be sheltered and can play 13-14 mins if needed.
People underestimate how much value he has.

Corrado... there's something there, only i haven't seen it yet. Waiving him and Fedun could result in one of them switching teams... its a gamble in terms of asset management.

I think Hutton's contract situation will dictate him to be sent down for opening night, and battle with Fedun and Biega to earn call up duty.

Corrado could be a place holder like Stanton was at times last yr... someone gets hurt, a player gets called up, Corrodao steps in but splits duties with the call up - depending on performance of course..

Vey is a defensive liability. His positioning sucks and he is too weak to win any battles. He is not a guy that you can just play 12-13 minutes unless you really want t to keep our goalie warmed up.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Vey is a defensive liability. His positioning sucks and he is too weak to win any battles. He is not a guy that you can just play 12-13 minutes unless you really want t to keep our goalie warmed up.

I guess he missed the Calgary game where Prust/Vey/Dorsett with just awful as most predicted. 6 million dollar checking line that can't check. Good for punching faces and Vey can't even do that.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

We'll agree to disagree... I liked his positioning and thought it was a strength of his last season and was what kept in the lineup after his offense dried up. He does well to remain in good support position to jump on loose pucks..

I guess he missed the Calgary game where Prust/Vey/Dorsett with just awful as most predicted. 6 million dollar checking line that can't check. Good for punching faces and Vey can't even do that.

I did actually. I got it on PVR tho... I'll check it out on the next off day.
But I caught the first game vs SJ where they looked just fine together with a lot of earned zone time... They were out there for almost 20 mins that gm if i remember it right and played every situation. Which went against what most predicted outside of Prust being ineffective.

So which game carries more weight?

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
We'll agree to disagree... I liked his positioning and thought it was a strength of his last season and was what kept in the lineup after his offense dried up. He does well to remain in good support position to jump on loose pucks..

I did actually. I got it on PVR tho... I'll check it out on the next off day.
But I caught the first game vs SJ where they looked just fine together with a lot of earned zone time... They were out there for almost 20 mins that gm if i remember it right and played every situation. Which went against what most predicted outside of Prust being ineffective.

So which game carries more weight?
The hockeyville game was full on AHL/Prospect level. Calgary game the Flames played the better half of the split squad and Prust/Vey/Dorsett were completely ineffective.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
The hockeyville game was full on AHL/Prospect level. Calgary game the Flames played the better half of the split squad and Prust/Vey/Dorsett were completely ineffective.

"The game they played well doesn't count"

ROFL great arguments today.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
His leadership is more than enough on this team.

So we can get rid of our other "mentors" then like Sutter and Dorsett? At some point a completely unquantifiable thing like mentorship must have diminishing returns.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
So we can get rid of our other "mentors" then like Sutter and Dorsett? At some point a completely unquantifiable thing like mentorship must have diminishing returns.

its actually multiplicative, but it bleeds out. if you get too many mentors, you start mentoring the other team in the middle of the game and then they win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille