OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVII - Office Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Is that up by the Blue Adobe Grille?

Yeah, it's right behind it, as viewed from Country Club.

Street View:

upload_2020-8-12_22-42-18.png

Reactions: TheLegend

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, it's right behind it, as viewed from Country Club.

Street View:

View attachment 360736
One of my absolute favorite restaurants in the valley. If you haven’t been there, go! Before the pandemic we had a membership to the natural history museum across the street. We’d take the kids to the museum on a Saturday morning and then go to Blue Adobe for lunch. Great New Mexican food.

One of my other favorites is also on AZ Ave, but south of Ray; Cho Dang. Fantastic Korean food and they serve soju and Kloud. Nothing like some fiery soondubujigae and an ice cold Kloud.

f*** the Coronavirus. Damnit.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
One of my absolute favorite restaurants in the valley. If you haven’t been there, go! Before the pandemic we had a membership to the natural history museum across the street. We’d take the kids to the museum on a Saturday morning and then go to Blue Adobe for lunch. Great New Mexican food.

So, did you know that paintball arena was even there? (and this couldn't have been that long ago, I know your kids aren't that old ;) )

rt

May 13, 2004
So, did you know that paintball arena was even there? (and this couldn't have been that long ago, I know your kids aren't that old ;) )
Yeah. It’s behind a sodalicioua. I’ve noticed it because it has paint splat designs on it. But I didn’t really note it’s existence because I have no interest in paintball and I’ve always been preoccupied with Blue Adobe.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Oh man Blue Adobe is the best. The "father in-law" lives in the historic neighborhood over there so we get to go a good amount. A Gus's Fried Chicken is opening on Main Street this fall. Again, COVID can go to hell but may be time to do some carry-out and play some poker with the in-law.

rt

May 13, 2004
There's a Blue Adobe Grille over here in Gilbert, too. It's very similar but MUCH more fancy-pants. It's a family drama situation, where the two restaurants hate each other and were formerly affiliated but are now mortal enemies. I prefer the Mesa one for the vibes but the Gilbert one is about equal in terms of the food (although more expensive).

Reactions: Grimes

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
There's a Blue Adobe Grille over here in Gilbert, too. It's very similar but MUCH more fancy-pants. It's a family drama situation, where the two restaurants hate each other and were formerly affiliated but are now mortal enemies. I prefer the Mesa one for the vibes but the Gilbert one is about equal in terms of the food (although more expensive).

Good thing you like the Mesa location since the upscale Gilbert version has gone virus-up.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Bingo. Thank you. That clue led me to this - apparently opened in c.1961. "Country Club Bowl"

Country Club Bowl closes after 45 years

PBA Tour event, even: Mesa-Phoenix Open - Archived Standings | PBA.com

There was a PWBA event there as well in 2001-02. We knew several of the ladies on the tour from when they would come out to San Diego. I knew a couple of them from competing in college. Also know a current touring PBA pro from back in his junior bowling days,

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
That’s sad. I was their very first pandemic delivery. First time I ever had cocktails delivered too.

To be honest, I've never been there. I have a property manager in Phoenix who was heartbroken at its closing. When I suggested that there were other restaurants in the same chain, he just sighed and said, "But this one was pretty special".

Cocktails delivered is pretty special. Hope you've found another source for this essential service.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
I remember a topless barber shop on University around those same cross streets. Mesa had it all from orange grove mansions to fatties giving bare chest haircuts.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Anyone have a good contact for landscaping service? Putting house on the market and figured I'd make it look livable.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
There are plenty of proposed solutions if you bother to read about them
You say there are plenty but don't mention one, and I primarily read print media. The only social network sites I'm active on are forum 40 and Seeking Alpha. I mentioned a major solution in my reply...better training. The only thing I've heard out of BLM is to defund the police, which if that were a solution we should do the same thing with education and health care. I have not heard of any solutions from the major political parties, but the Libertarian Party has proposed ending qualified immunity and no-knock warrants, both ideas are worth exploring.

...changing the language of observations like this from passive voice to active, so that people understand that "an officer-involved shooting that resulted in a death" often means "a police officer killed someone for no legitimate reason and likely won't suffer repercussions." Active voice is the language of accountability and transparency, and the passive makes it easier to dodge said responsibility.

Taken out of context. I didn't imply no repercussions, and police are facing justice. One irony is that the killing that put BLM on the national stage, Michael Brown, was ruled a justified shooting. Yet the media and BLM followers continue to hold it up as a police officer getting away with murder. CBS News is airing a special that covers that event and repeats the lie that Brown was on his knees with his hands up when he was shot in the back. Each part of that scenario is false, and the officer involved was completely exonerated by Obama's DOJ.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The only thing I've heard out of BLM is to defund the police.

Again, the information is out there if you are willing to look for it, including what "defund the police" means in context (rather than the assumption that police departments would simply be shut down, as the hysterical political ads currently running in front of episodes of The Price is Right are saying). The larger issue is that a lot of people simply don't want to hear it. If it's not happening to them, then it's not an issue that requires attention. The Black Lives Matter movement (not the registered nonprofit corporation that gets conflated with it) is trying to get people to look at something from a different perspective, but unfortunately even that is too much for people even in 2020.

I didn't imply no repercussions, and police are facing justice.

The point specific to the attention on police brutality cases is that, in the public cases at stake and in thousands more over time, the police are not facing justice - at least, not actual justice. But beyond that, the larger point is that we're 60 years removed from Martin Luther King and, somehow, society hasn't made a whole lot of progress, and we still have a bunch of white people saying that there's nothing for black people to complain about.

At any rate, this is a futile exercise, because today's social dialogue in general is essentially a reversion to WWI trench warfare. Nobody's going to change anyone's mind on a message board.

Reactions: DOTS13

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Defunding the police is literally what some cities are doing. It's not a conspiracy to distort the truth.

Seattle City Council...voted...(to) reduce funding to the Seattle Police Department by 14 percent for the remainder of 2020. The council's budget plan, however, is far below the 50 percent reduction that some members had lobbied for and community groups had demanded. - Seattle Times

The NYPD's budget has been reduced by $1 billion -New York Times

Defunding police means defunding police - Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

60 years removed from Martin Luther King and, somehow, society hasn't made a whole lot of progress

I think most people who lived through that era, and the 100 years between the civil war and civil rights act, would disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Del_
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad