OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVII - Office Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I feel your pain. My father past a year ago June, he was 98. Broke his hip, came back from that, then had a UTI that did him in. He was a little hard hearing but was sharp as a whip. Miss him everyday. They are both in a better place.
Man 98 is a great run, we should all be so lucky! Not to downplay your loss at all, just offering up a positive perspective on a long life well lived.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Remember that new ice rink going in Mesa??

The used rink boards have a history........

"They go way back," Hill said. "They were originally used at the Pittsburgh Civic Center where Mario Lemieux played. You can see on the side of them, it says 'Penguins.' From there, they were used for 'Hockey Day in Minnesota' games before coming here."

Fresh Ice on its Way; Construction Continues in Mesa

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Most of my money is in gold mining stocks because of all the money printing and dollar devaluation. Hoping it pays off the way I believe it will. Tough to invest will all the corruption. Negative interest rates is just crazy.

You might be right, but it's never a bad idea to diversify.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Figured this belonged here instead of the OEL thread.

If you haven't already, check out The Social Dilemma on Netflix., it explains how and why people are so easily falling for fake news and being whipped into a polarized frenzy against their fellow Americans. It's something I've been very very passionate about for many many years but have struggled to convince most people that we have a very a real problem. Now I'm passing this along to everyone I know and hoping they'll watch it and have a discussion about it.

Social_dilemma_xlg.jpg

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

If you haven't already, check out The Social Dilemma on Netflix., it explains how and why people are so easily falling for fake news and being whipped into a polarized frenzy against their fellow Americans. It's something I've been very very passionate about for many many years but have struggled to convince most people that we have a very a real problem. Now I'm passing this along to everyone I know and hoping they'll watch it and have a discussion about it.

Social_dilemma_xlg.jpg
This was a good watch and very informational.

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Social_dilemma_xlg.jpg

Social media does tend to distort a person's worldview and perception, but the so-called mainstream media does as well. Personalities like Hannity and Maddow are of course NOT journalists, but the line between journalism and opinion is becoming very blurred by most media outlets. It's not necessarily new (Remember when Cronkite, the most trusted man in journalism, pronounced the Vietnam war lost?), but has become much more common and condescending. Objectivity and critical thinking have become as scarce as Coyote playoff wins.

upload_2020-9-20_4-34-16.png

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Social_dilemma_xlg.jpg
If I have time today I'm going to watch it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Social media does tend to distort a person's worldview and perception, but the so-called mainstream media does as well. Personalities like Hannity and Maddow are of course NOT journalists, but the line between journalism and opinion is becoming very blurred by most media outlets. It's not necessarily new (Remember when Cronkite, the most trusted man in journalism, pronounced the Vietnam war lost?), but has become much more common and condescending. Objectivity and critical thinking have become as scarce as Coyote playoff wins.

View attachment 368243
Yup, social and main stream media is wrecking this country. People don't use that brain between their eyes. People watch and listen to this fake news and believe it all, hook, line and sinker. You have to look no farther than this plandemic.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

View attachment 368243
I don't disagree but I don't think it holds a candle to the algorithms behind social media, Google, YouTube, etc.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Yup, social and main stream media is wrecking this country. People don't use that brain between their eyes. People watch and listen to this fake news and believe it all, hook, line and sinker. You have to look no farther than this plandemic.

*blink*, *blink* *blink*.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Matt Taibbi

Out of curiosity does this book (or some other work of his) include a mea-culpa for his own contributions to the problem? Cause that isn't exactly a short list.

He can be an incisive analyst, when he's not being a complete tool bag and just as guilty which was unfortunately way more often.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Out of curiosity does this book (or some other work of his) include a mea-culpa for his own contributions to the problem? Cause that isn't exactly a short list.

He can be an incisive analyst, when he's not being a complete tool bag and just as guilty which was unfortunately way more often.
Strikes me as the literary frat-boy who was the “deep one” at Sigma Kai. Loved Hunter Thompson, Ernest Hemingway, Chuck Pahlaniuk, and Charles Bukowski.

EDIT: woooof was I wrong, lol. Just looked up his back-story. Does not align with what I said. Haha. The writing isn’t my favorite, though. He’s not what I said, but he still kinda comes of that way. Don’t love it.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Taibbi certainly profits from stirring the pot.

My problem with most media commentary is that political party affiliation heavily influences the coverage. It's difficult to find a truly objective opinion.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Social_dilemma_xlg.jpg
Thank God I don't have kids. When the daughter smashes the box to take her phone out I wanted to ground her for a decade. And when she just ignores her mom while on her phone when she tells her to set the table...can't imagine how bad the beating would have been if I did anything like that as a kid. Ugh!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Just had a cataract operation. Oh my God ick. First time in my life a medical assistant took a marker and dotted my eyeball (anaesthetized) while I was lucid and wide awake. All in all painless and fast, but "I'm going to mark your eyeball now" as she came at me with a black magic marker, ick.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Just had a cataract operation. Oh my God ick. First time in my life a medical assistant took a marker and dotted my eyeball (anaesthetized) while I was lucid and wide awake. All in all painless and fast, but "I'm going to mark your eyeball now" as she came at me with a black magic marker, ick.
Had both my lens replaced a few years ago. If you hated that one you really better hope you never have a detached retina!!!!

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I’ve given literally thousands of shots in the eyelid of cattle with pink eye. Should you ever get an infection, I highly recommend you give me a call!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->