OT: The Arizona Coyotes Lounge XVII - Office Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
He's just moving, not selling his soul.
Apparently I’ve sold my soul several times, ironically because I believe the heart and soul of a sports franchise is it’s fans and their ability to support the local team. A place like Arizona would have few fans if all transplants refused to “sell their souls.”

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Apparently I’ve sold my soul several times, ironically because I believe the heart and soul of a sports franchise is it’s fans and their ability to support the local team. A place like Arizona would have few fans if all transplants refused to “sell their souls.”
Hey I hear ya but really though, f*** the Stars.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Forgot to mention Matt Layman is leaving Arizona Sports to take a non-journalist position in Texas. Haven’t seen who’s going to take over there yet.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just like our owner. So??

You honestly expected the AZR to hire someone with experience?
I don’t mind that he hasn’t covered hockey professionally before. I just hope he enjoys the sport and is knowledgeable about it.

Why would you ask “so???” - isn’t it obvious that someone writing about hockey, having some hockey experience would be just a wee bit important?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don’t mind that he hasn’t covered hockey professionally before. I just hope he enjoys the sport and is knowledgeable about it.

Why would you ask “so???” - isn’t it obvious that someone writing about hockey, having some hockey experience would be just a wee bit important?

I can’t believe I got one you missed on.... :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
Pretty sure the "Redskins" weren't named that out of respect for Native Americans bud. It's also not for your or me to decide whether or not those names get to be used.

The Seminole tribe is proud to be associated with FSU and has incorporated tribal customs and imagery into what the school does at events like football games. That's why nobody is really going after them, but racist characters like Chief Wahoo and blatantly racist names like "Redskins" are falling by the wayside.

A lot of shit used to be acceptable 50 or 100 years ago, now it's not, because people have come to recognize how wrong these things are in context. Dan Synder, one of the worst owners in pro sports, specifically ignored any and all complaints about the name of the team until he could no longer do so without losing significant amounts of sponsors.

They can get more funding when they have functional oversight. As it stands now, they can basically do anything they want, including killing you unannounced, out of uniform.
I’m not a huge Sam Harris fan. But occasionally certain of his works are highly recommended and I’ll check them out. Sometimes he has interesting guests, etc. If I had to choose either “Do Like” or “Don’t Like” for Sam Harris, I’d ultimately probably have to go with “Don’t”. Though finding any individual in the public sphere demonstrably capable of critical thought is refreshing. Even if Harris does get in my nerves a lot. I’m ambivalent, I guess. But I’ve consumed a lot of Sam Harris media over the years nonethelesss.

Easily the most interesting thing I’ve ever consumed from Sam Harris was a podcast episode he made a month or two ago called “Can We Pull Back from the Brink”. I think everyone should check it out. It’s one of the most thorough, non-emotional analysis I’ve encountered on the subject.

He definitely shies away from some major subjects. So much so that i wouldn’t blame anyone for pointing to his lack of examination of certain facets of the situation as proof of an agenda or bias.

An example is his accepting higher crime rates in certain communities as the fact of the matter and the cause of increased police encounters. He doesn’t really delve too much in the causation versus correlation of possible over policing in those communities and the impact on crime rates and police encounters via increased police presence. It may be the chicken or the egg. But he doesn’t even try to unpack it.

There are a few things like that in the piece. But I would say that it’s a good thing for anyone to listen to or read (there’s a transcript online somewhere).

At the very least it highlights well how much the rhetoric on both sides of the issue is inaccurate. There is a lot of emotionally charged, willful ignorance on these issues. And it’s reached a level of unbelievable violence and rage.

Anyway, if you’re interested in a perspective a bit different, I’d check it out.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
My brother-in-law was in intel; did a stint at Fort Huachuca before a few tours in the Middle East. He's one of two in my immediate family who still has a current top security clearance - the other worked at Langley. I'm hoping someday one or both of them will write a book when their projects are finally declassified.

(moved post)
Yeah, "Fort We Gotcha" ... I visited my friend there in Sierra Vista in 1988, and that visit was indirectly responsible for me moving to Arizona - we visited a girl from our high school who was volunteering up in Window Rock, so I got to see a lot of the state, up thru the White Mountains, back through Flag, Phoenix, and Tucson...how the landscape completely changed every couple of hours - I had no idea, I thought it was so cool. So unlike Florida.

Reactions: Summer Rose

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
There's no accountability

It's getting better. Daniel Pantaleo faced a grand jury, Darren Wilson was investigated by the DOJ, and the FBI is currently investigating the Brianna Taylor incident.

making no attempt to deescalate

True in some instances, but oftentimes the video we see is at the end of what has been a long encounter where the police did try to make a peaceful arrest or resolve the situation without conflict.

In the age of smartphones, we're going to keep seeing these videos.
Yep, which will increase accountability.

Other western countries don't have this problem because they have better standards and thoroughly train people
In most western countries the populace is not permitted to own or carry a firearm as freely as they are in America. I believe this makes U.S. law enforcement much warier and quick to draw their firearm.

people act like reform is unfathomable

The U.S. House has passed legislation to end qualified immunity and enhance accountability. Much of the bill applies only to Federal law enforcement. More needs to be done at the State and local levels.

rt

May 13, 2004
@Bonsai Tree & @MIGs Dog

Its interesting. Statistical analysis at the very highest level shows a huge problem with policing and race. The rates of use of force and killings by police are much higher for blacks than whites.

The next level down in stats shows that the rates of police shootings of unarmed suspects is actually higher for whites, when instead of using total population, you use total share of police interactions by race.

But obviously blacks people are not genetically predisposed to crime. There is nothing in blackness that makes one a criminal. So why are crime rates higher? Why are there so many more interactions with police?

I’ve read it has a lot to do with over policing in black communities. That poor block neighborhoods are disproportionately heavily policed than poor white neighborhoods. More cops in neighborhoods with lots of crime equals more documented crime and higher crime rates, than a neighborhood with an equal amount of actual crime but less cops around to catch and report it.

But it’s so hard to get clean data. A lot of times there are so many more differences in poor white communities and poor black communities beyond the racial demographics and number of cops in them. It’s so hard to do apples to apples.

White cops killing unarmed black suspects seems like less of an epidemic when you add other statistical factors to the evaluation.

It seems like there is still a huge over policing of black people problem. And it seems like it leads to way more unarmed black suspects being killed than we can accept as a society. It’s also true for unarmed white suspects. An unarmed white person is more likely to be killed in a police interaction than an unarmed black person, after (going on a per interaction rate). Both rates are too high.

I want to know why black Americans living in pole black neighborhoods in America have to talk to the cops so much more than poor white Americans living in poor white neighborhoods in America. I think that would be helpful.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's getting better. Daniel Pantaleo faced a grand jury, Darren Wilson was investigated by the DOJ, and the FBI is currently investigating the Brianna Taylor incident.

Daniel Shaver was straight up murdered by Mesa PD not far from where I live. The jury wasn't allowed to see all of the evidence. Mesa PD gleefully released the unedited footage once he was found not guilty. The SGT on scene fled the country I believe, and the shooter had the balls to get rehired, then was granted a medical retirement with pension.

f*** that guy. And f*** the idiots that executed Ryan Whitaker too.

True in some instances, but oftentimes the video we see is at the end of what has been a long encounter where the police did try to make a peaceful arrest or resolve the situation without conflict.

If you have that much time to work the problem, you need a better outcome in most cases. It's acceptable if someone shows ill intent and then moves towards the general public. At that point you're out of space and time, because the cops are responsible for everything that happens after they make contact. It's also totally understandable when someone goes for a cops gun or tries to physically assault a lone officer and ends up dead. A good number of shoots are completely justified. The number will never be zero.

The protests largely aren't about that. There's way too many examples of badly trained, hyper aggressive cops acting like judge, jury, and executioner when it's not necessary, regardless of the race of the victim. This number will also never reach zero, sadly, but zero should be the goal.

Police in the U.S. receive little training relative to their other western peers on top of being of a lower standard. Then they enter a system that protects bad officers and bad actions. Why would we expect the outcome to be any different than it is?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
why are crime rates higher?

I believe socio-economic factors are a major contributor. Poverty rates are significantly higher for people of color in America.

0255_poverty_by_race-full.gif

Regarding over-policing, I think more the opposite is true. The police don't have a regular presence in neighborhoods because they are not staffed at a high enough level, so when you see them it's because they are responding to something. In the high profile cases recently the police were called to the location for relatively minor offenses.

Eric Garner - selling cigarettes - police called by the restaurant owner
Michael Brown - stealing a box of Swisher Sweets - police called by the store owner
George Floyd - passing a counterfeit bill - police called by the store owner
Jacob Blake - domestic dispute - police called by baby mama.

In each of these cases, the police would not have been there had they not been called to investigate a possible crime.

rt

May 13, 2004
I believe socio-economic factors are a major contributor. Poverty rates are significantly higher for people of color in America.

0255_poverty_by_race-full.gif

Regarding over-policing, I think more the opposite is true. The police don't have a regular presence in neighborhoods because they are not staffed at a high enough level, so when you see them it's because they are responding to something. In the high profile cases recently the police were called to the location for relatively minor offenses.

Eric Garner - selling cigarettes - police called by the restaurant owner
Michael Brown - stealing a box of Swisher Sweets - police called by the store owner
George Floyd - passing a counterfeit bill - police called by the store owner
Jacob Blake - domestic dispute - police called by baby mama.

In each of these cases, the police would not have been there had they not been called to investigate a possible crime.
I’ll have to dig up the stats. But I’ve read pretty regularly that over policing in poor black neighborhoods leads to disparate crime rates and also additional policing and additionally higher crime rates. Snowball.

As for your list of names, I’m less interested in the killings. I’ve reads stats that show police kill blacks at a lower rate than white per encounter. I just want to know why encounters are disproportionately high. Even along socioeconomic lines. Why do poor blacks have to talk to cops more than poor whites?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Daniel Shaver was straight up murdered by Mesa PD not far from where I live. The jury wasn't allowed to see all of the evidence. Mesa PD gleefully released the unedited footage once he was found not guilty. The SGT on scene fled the country I believe, and the shooter had the balls to get rehired, then was granted a medical retirement with pension.

A DOJ investigation is apparently still open. The DOJ investigation of Michael Brown's death only took 7 months. Obviously, there isn't as much emphasis on Shaver's death...no kneeling athletes or riots. I wonder why?

The cops in that video are poorly trained. I've never been a cop, but have experience in combat zones and we would have handled the situation very differently.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My last living grandparent passed away last night. She would have been 95 on Wednesday. Rest in peace, grandma.
I feel your pain. My father past a year ago June, he was 98. Broke his hip, came back from that, then had a UTI that did him in. He was a little hard hearing but was sharp as a whip. Miss him everyday. They are both in a better place.

Reactions: Summer Rose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad