The Andrew MacDonald Discussion Thread

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Sanheim made the 100% right play on that second goal. Guarantee his coaches don't blame him for that. Down 1 goal with 3 minutes left you make that pinch every single time. Early on maybe not, but you take a chance on 40-60 pucks at that point. Besides, he's amazing at keeping pucks in and pinching. It still wasn't egregious and he almost kept it.

Filppula was late to cover AND MacDonald played it horribly, but the pinch was fine. It should have been a 2 on 2 still.
It would have been the right play if he got the puck, but he didn't. Filppula was late to cover because he's reacting to MacDonald leaving his position, who's reacting to Sanheim leaving his. Now, if the team's coached and structured for Sanheim to consistently challenge like that, MacDonald and Filppula would react instinctively and automatically based on the play as a whole, not by following Sanheim's lead. It's a good example of how poor (and inconsistent) positioning can cause chaos, put undue pressure on teammates, and make things harder for everyone.

Having said that, it wasn't that bad of a play given the circumstances. Sanheim made far worse plays that game more deserving of harsh criticism. He's also a rookie and will learn in time.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's a pinch that I want Sanheim of others to make at that time in the game. He was the 3rd guy in and we still had 2 guys back. Flip could not catch the guy and even stopped skating. AMac tried to swim...it worked earlier in the game, did not work there. You HAVE to stop the pass from getting across....hockey 101.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I thought it was Sanheim with the pinch, which is excusable given the circumstances, he'll learn. But Filppula, who has to be even more useless than Weise, which is hard to believe.

You're right Larry. My mistake.

I agree it was a reasonable play at that time of the game, down a goal.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
If you start with a better premise, the rest will matter. And around we go.

The result of the play is irrelevant to the strategy. You can add on whatever you want. Doesn't change.
You're going to great lengths to be as obtuse as possible. It's not a good quality.

Sanheim took an ill-advised risk that could have been redeemed if executed properly, and it was a waste of time having to explain that.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
You're right Larry. My mistake.

I agree it was a reasonable play at that time of the game, down a goal.
Yes, agree that he should make that pinch, just GET IT next time Travis. Really, he has always worked his way into each new level. Send Manning down, let Hagg, Sanheim and rotate. I want them all in the NHL even if their learning curve costs us games. Manning is completely useless.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Point well taken... but I'd much rather send Sanheim down to AHL to hone his game... play Top Pair minutes and 1st PP... let both Moran and Hagg play through most every Game and situation... let Manning ride the PressBox and step in only for injuries and when a D-man either needs a breather... or needs to be benched to watch from upstairs to correct errors or be taught a lesson.

This way all of the three kids can get work and hone their game... and none gets stale waiting to get back in... except Manning, of course, who doesn't really need the work as a Veteran 7th D-man.

JMO

Reactions: JackStraw

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
AMac looked mostly solid to me last night, but I could've done without this.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I know the whole play got started with a late-game pinch by Provy that didn't work, and it would have been nice if Flip hadn't gone into glide mode so soon, and I know that Carter is a very good player, but Mac really didn't have any impact on the play, which was unfortunate.

On Sanheim, he had a rough second period, but at least he came back and didn't wilt in his 3+ minutes in the third. I really hope Hak has him dress on Saturday and tells him to get back on his horse.
Twinsies!

Reactions: BillDineen

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
You literally quoted this "Yeah he just posted it like 1000 times so memory acts like it were numerous posters" which was a response to this "By people, you mean 1 person...boxcar?". The internet isn't that hard, sheesh.

Thanks, I was unable to comprehend and explain yesterday :laugh:

Reactions: Lindberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t even know what Girardi was doing there. The goalie had the angle, there was zero reason to slide & take yourself out of the play. :laugh:

All he had to do was cover the approaching forward on his left and give the shot to the goalie. Yeesh.

Seeing defensemen cover 2 on 1s makes me miss Kimmo.

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I can’t wait until AMac is gone and this “discussion” ends.....worse than the Vinny saga
Lol whatare you talking about. The irrational hate for Farmer is absurd around here.

Vinny and Bryz were probably the worse FA signings of this franchise by a mile. Vinny was unable to contribute anything, and we were so lucky to have that end up the way it did.

Amac reminds me of an NFL tackle, 60 plays, makes 58 positive/neutral plays. But gives up 2 sacks, and hes the worst player of all time.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Lol whatare you talking about. The irrational hate for Farmer is absurd around here.

Vinny and Bryz were probably the worse FA signings of this franchise by a mile. Vinny was unable to contribute anything, and we were so lucky to have that end up the way it did.

Amac reminds me of an NFL tackle, 60 plays, makes 58 positive/neutral plays. But gives up 2 sacks, and hes the worst player of all time.

You're grossly overestimating his abilities.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
You're grossly overestimating his abilities.
He's a very marginal player. I wouldn't put him first pair. He can handle PLAYING those minutes over 82 games, has shown he doesn't get hurt, "wear down" ect. He's very mediocre in those minutes, and I'd prefer we could move on.

People act like he's killing us out there, and he's not. In 2010 cup run, we could NOT play our 3rd pair...they were awful. Amac would have be a huge improvement on that pair...and that is saying something.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's a very marginal player. I wouldn't put him first pair. He can handle PLAYING those minutes over 82 games, has shown he doesn't get hurt, "wear down" ect. He's very mediocre in those minutes, and I'd prefer we could move on.

People act like he's killing us out there, and he's not. In 2010 cup run, we could NOT play our 3rd pair...they were awful. Amac would have be a huge improvement on that pair...and that is saying something.

All it says is that you think is better than an awful 3rd pairing. The difference between him playing with Provy on a top pair and on a 3rd pair is something like 4-5 minutes a game against way harder competition. Over the whole season, that makes a big difference....as we saw the other night. If he was USED as a 3rd pairing, he is at least tolerable. But then not really because we finally have cheaper, better guys to replace him.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
All it says is that you think is better than an awful 3rd pairing. The difference between him playing with Provy on a top pair and on a 3rd pair is something like 4-5 minutes a game against way harder competition. Over the whole season, that makes a big difference....as we saw the other night. If he was USED as a 3rd pairing, he is at least tolerable. But then not really because we finally have cheaper, better guys to replace him.
Sure. Never once have i said I'm excited he's playing 1st pair. He has demonstrated he CAN play those minutes, as in suit up every game and not break down. He's mediocre/serviceable.

However, I think its early to say we have player's ready to replace him. We have prospects we are excited about, for sure. But the LAST thing we need to do is throw Sanheim/Morin into first pair minutes, struggle, and hinder mental development. Nobody cares about damaging Amac, so let him shield the youth from minutes until they are ready, unless we are FORCED to play them due to injury.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Please bear with me on this... My big gripe with AMac was basically that he was way overpaid on a long Contract on a Team that was Cap strapped.

Fast forward to a Team that is no longer hampered with a too high Cap Payroll -- note the general acceptance and non-protest over the signing of the highly paid Filp and the taking on of the way overpriced Lehtera in order to be able to gain a couple First Round Selections -- AMac's Cap Hit is no longer a large concern... and arguably not a concern whatsoever.

Being paired with the #1 D-man doesn't mean nor require the #2 D-man being on the Top Pair... as perfectly demonstrated with Chris Therien being a long-term partner of Desjardins that worked so very well for all hose Seasons with the Flyers... Not comparing AMac/Provo with Bundy/Rico, merely using that to express my thought. If Provo feels comfortable with AMac and Management feels that that match-up gives them a better chance to win in the long run, I have no problems with it.

Moving AMac ultimately gives them more Cap to have more flibility... but while he is on the Team, I really don't see any major problem... as long as they stay Cap comfortable... and maybe some of us are really making too big a deal over AMac... maybe we should just chill and allow it to play out.

JMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad