The All Things Sprong Containment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I seriously question your viewing of Letang if you think he’s anything like Paul Coffey.
That was an extreme example that a defensemen has to be good defensively to win the norris. I don't think Letang is like Coffey. My point is him being brought up in a norris conversation in 2013 doesn't necessarily equate to him being sound defensively.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That was an extreme example that a defensemen has to be good defensively to win the norris. I don't think Letang is like Coffey. My point is him being brought up in a norris conversation in 2013 doesn't necessarily equate to him being sound defensively.
sure, Burns showed you don't have to be all that sound defensively for a Norris. That said, Letang was though.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Letang, Hedman, Karlsson, and Subban are all really good at playing defense too. Burns not so much.

And I still don't understand how you like Daley. He's a disaster defensively.
Karlsson is better now but he also wasn't that great defensively for many years.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Exactly. I like my defense to play defense and offense to play offense. We have some of the best forwards in the world; Sid, Malkin, Kessel, and Guentzel. Why we need defensemen jumping up in the play is maddening. Then they wonder why they are giving up 3-4 goals every night. I don't mind solid pmd like Daley or Schultz.

This is not the year 1917 to 2005.
Ever since 2006 (save for a couple anomalies) teams that win the SC need guys on the backend to carry, transition or pass the puck up smartly
Show me some terrible teams this season and I'll show you a extensive list of Dmen who can't move the puck

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
This is not the year 1917 to 2005.
Ever since 2006 (save for a couple anomalies) teams that win the SC need guys on the backend to carry, transition or pass the puck up smartly
Show me some terrible teams this season and I'll show you a extensive list of Dmen who can't move the puck

Sharks were pretty bad for a stretch to start the season and they have TWO yearly Norris candidates

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Sharks were pretty bad for a stretch to start the season and they have TWO yearly Norris candidates

Yup the Sharks started the season controlling and dominating possession and play but the puck didn't go in the net for them early in the year.

A quick check in the standings indicate they are now the 3rd best team in the West, so perhaps another example would support your case instead of mine?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Yup the Sharks started the season controlling and dominating possession and play but the puck didn't go in the net for them early in the year.

A quick check in the standings indicate they are now the 3rd best team in the West, so perhaps another example would support your case instead of mine?

It's going to be funny when the Sharks get bounced in the playoffs earlier than they normally do because of the addition of another glorified forward. By your guys logic they should roll but they won't. Teams will actually backcheck and block shots and they will become obsolete just like the rest of them.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It’s funny how the defenders of Sprong and haters of Letang are a shared user base..
I don't love Sprong, I just think Sully had it in for him, nor do I hate Letang. If I hated Letang why am I heaping all this praise on the guy for how he's played this season and in particular 2016 and the post season except game five against TB? I call it like I see it.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't love Sprong, nor do I hate Letang. If I hated Letang why am I heaping all this praise on the guy for how he's played this season and in particular 2016 and the post season except game five against TB? I call it like I see it.

Sounds like bad player assessment and personal bias.

What do I know though, I would’ve trade (aka mentioned it in a Sam Bennett thread in the trade forum) Jake Guentzel for Sam Bennet and a 1st.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sounds like bad player assessment and personal bias.

What do I know though, I would’ve trade (aka mentioned it in a Sam Bennett thread in the trade forum) Jake Guentzel for Sam Bennet and a 1st.
So you disagree with my critique of Letangs play in 2016 and 2018?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It's going to be funny when the Sharks get bounced in the playoffs earlier than they normally do because of the addition of another glorified forward. By your guys logic they should roll but they won't. Teams will actually backcheck and block shots and they will become obsolete just like the rest of them.

I said nothing about the playoffs. I said all the bad teams have barely no one to move the puck from the back end. That's not a coincidence

Reactions: Ryder71

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So you disagree with my critique of Letangs play in 2016 and 2018?

No I think you’re a knee jerker like most people in this thread about Sprong.

Sprong was fine being used in a fourth line role, he was fine being used sparing minutes year. He had another year on his contract. He had time to find his way.

Management cut the rope and got us a comparable talent at D back. Now, we can wait and see what MP progresses into, but no one cares to do that because Sprong has “potential” or something. Now you and your cohorts want to act like he is a top six forward because he has a couple goals. That’s missing the point. The Pens don’t need goal scorers, they need complete players. Sprong at this time isn’t one, so we moved him to solve another roster issue.

Letang has been a top ten D man for us mostly every healthy year since Gonchar’s last season here. He’s been a vital part of two cup wins and four ECF appearances. Yet he messes up a lot because he has the puck and plays a ton of minutes and he’s miscast as overrated, an albatross contract and someone that needs traded.

Malkin and Letang are much more similar players than people want to admit in terms of ebbs and flows.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No I think you’re a knee jerker like most people in this thread about Sprong.

Sprong was fine being used in a fourth line role, he was fine being used sparing minutes year. He had another year on his contract. He had time to find his way.

Management cut the rope and got us a comparable talent at D back. Now, we can wait and see what MP progresses into, but no one cares to do that because Sprong has “potential” or something. Now you and your cohorts want to act like he is a top six forward because he has a couple goals. That’s missing the point. The Pens don’t need goal scorers, they need complete players. Sprong at this time isn’t one, so we moved him to solve another roster issue.

Letang has been a top ten D man for us mostly every healthy year since Gonchar’s last season here. He’s been a vital part of two cup wins and four ECF appearances. Yet he messes up a lot because he has the puck and plays a ton of minutes and he’s miscast as overrated, an albatross contract and someone that needs traded.

Malkin and Letang are much more similar players than people want to admit in terms of ebbs and flows.
Knee jerk? Are you kidding? I've been saying since the whole Sprong scenario started that we don't conclusively know where he'll top out at and if he'll be a mainstay at the NHL level. How is that a ''knee jerk'' reaction? I've preached patience on this subject. Holy cow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad