The All Things Sprong Containment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Kneejerk? Are you kidding? I've been saying since the whole Sprong scenario started that we don't conclusively know where he'll top out at and if he'll be a mainstay at the NHL level. How is that a ''kneejerk'' reaction? I've preached patience on this subject. Holy cow.

Because you think Sprong’s small sample size has proven he’s something. He’s proven nothing and him scoring a couple goals and thinking he can or should replace Hornqvist, Kessel or Rust in our top nine at any point is a knee jerk reaction.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because you think Sprong’s small sample size has proven he’s something. He’s proven nothing and him scoring a couple goals and thinking he can or should replace Hornqvist, Kessel or Rust in our top nine at any point is a knee jerk reaction.
Wrong! I just wanted him to be afforded an opportunity to play with our skilled centers. And considering the fact that Horny was injured for several games and Rust struggled mightily for the first 29 or so games there was ample opportunity to give him a shot with Geno. And it never occurred. That's not a knee jerk reaction at all. Again and for the 58th time, we don't know what Sprong will be, and thanks to his misuse here we won't find out in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Wrong! I just wanted him to be afforded an opportunity to play with our skilled centers. And considering the fact that Horny was injured for several games and Rust struggled mightily for the first 29 or so games there was ample opportunity to give him a shot with Geno. And it never occurred. That's not a kneejerk reaction at all. Again and for the 58th time, we don't know what Sprong will be, and thanks to his misuse here we won't find out in Pittsburgh.

So his misuse in a span of 12 games ruined his chance to produce here?

Seems like a knee jerk reaction.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Kneejerk? Are you kidding? I've been saying since the whole Sprong scenario started that we don't conclusively know where he'll top out at and if he'll be a mainstay at the NHL level. How is that a ''kneejerk'' reaction? I've preached patience on this subject. Holy cow.

I agree we don’t conclusively know where Sprong tops out at but I say about 50% chance he does not stick in the NHL. If he does improve his other parts of his game enough and he develops into a consistent 20+ goal scorer he will be a decent scoring winger but I still don’t know if he will be a net plus for his team.

All I know is if Pettersson becomes a 2nd pairing defenseman some day then we can’t lose this trade. I have every confidence in the world that Sprong won’t have more value than that. What type of player comparison does others believe is Sprong’s high end?

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I agree we don’t conclusively know where Sprong tops out at but I say about 50% chance he does not stick in the NHL. If he does improve his other parts of his game enough and he develops into a consistent 20+ goal scorer he will be a decent scoring winger but I still don’t know if he will be a net plus for his team.

All I know is if Pettersson becomes a 2nd pairing defenseman some day then we can’t lose this trade. I have every confidence in the world that Sprong won’t have more value than that. What type of player comparison does others believe is Sprong’s high end?
I honestly don't know how this trade will work out. Early indications are both teams are happy. But the main problem was that we don't what Sprong will be. And that's my issue here. Sully made it impossible to accurately gauge where he was headed.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What would be on the coaching staff?

They have way more information than we do and have been involved with Sprong since his rookie year.
I'm talking about placing him in a position from which to succeed and for the vast majority of his tenure here he wasn't given that option. If he played with Geno or Sid for even 15 or so games and fell flat on his face then we can at least raise a lot of questions as to whether he was good enough. He didn't get anything remotely close to that. Which I believe was intentional. And the reason why I took a strong stance against this coach.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm talking about placing him in a position from which to succeed and for the vast majority of his tenure here he wasn't given that option. If he played with Geno or Sid for even 15 or so games and fell flat on his face then we can at least raise a lot of questions as to whether he was good enough. He didn't get anything remotely close to that. Which I believe was intentional. And the reason why I took a strong stance against this coach.

So, a knee jerk reaction to the coach sitting your boy.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Wrong! I just wanted him to be afforded an opportunity to play with our skilled centers. And considering the fact that Horny was injured for several games and Rust struggled mightily for the first 29 or so games there was ample opportunity to give him a shot with Geno. And it never occurred. That's not a kneejerk reaction at all. Again and for the 58th time, we don't know what Sprong will be, and thanks to his misuse here we won't find out in Pittsburgh.

Rust did struggle mightily but Sullivan was proven right by sticking with him and has been rewarded in a big way. Rust is on pace for a 20+ goal and 40+ point season even with that bad stretch. Rust deserved that leeway after all he has done for the team over the past 3 seasons. Now after a great stretch of games he is right back to career pace. The difference is Rust has value even when he isn’t scoring just like Hagelin and that is not the case for Sprong.

I hope the kid does well. I have nothing against Sprong and hope it is a win win trade.

The good news is we traded Sprong for even value at a position of need that has just as much upside. People act like Sprong can be this 30+ goal scoring winger and I personally don’t believe that and say more like upside of a 20+ goal scorer. If we are to believe Sprong has this 30 goal potential then that is like saying Pettersson has Dumoulin potential which is a top pairing defenseman. I say neither are likely to happen. Floor for both is Pettersson 3rd pairing defenseman and Sprong AHL. Decent development Pettersson 2nd pairing defenseman and Sprong one dimensional 20 goal winger. I think upside best case scenario is the same worth and Pettersson floor is much better.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So, a knee jerk reaction to the coach sitting your boy.
It's not a knee jerk reaction. Sullys marginalized players before that he didn't like. A pattern has emerged, that's quite the opposite of a ''knee jerk'' reaction. If anyone had a kneejerk reaction it was Sully as it pertains to Sprong because even before the season started Sprong was in the doghouse.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's not a kneejerk reaction. Sullys marginalized players before that he didn't like. A pattern has emerged, that's quite the opposite of a ''kneejerk'' reaction. If anyone had a kneejerk reaction it was Sully as it pertains to Sprong because even before the season started Sprong was in the doghouse.

In his doghouse? Seemed to me Sprong was immediately put with Crosby when called up in January then at the beginning of camp.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Rust did struggle mightily but Sullivan was proven right by sticking with him and has been rewarded in a big way. Rust is on pace for a 20+ goal and 40+ point season even with that bad stretch. Rust deserved that leeway after all he has done for the team over the past 3 seasons. Now after a great stretch of games he is right back to career pace. The difference is Rust has value even when he isn’t scoring just like Hagelin and that is not the case for Sprong.

I hope the kid does well. I have nothing against Sprong and hope it is a win win trade.

The good news is we traded Sprong for even value at a position of need that has just as much upside. People act like Sprong can be this 30+ goal scoring winger and I personally don’t believe that and say more like upside of a 20+ goal scorer. If we are to believe Sprong has this 30 goal potential then that is like saying Pettersson has Dumoulin potential which is a top pairing defenseman. I say neither are likely to happen. Floor for both is Pettersson 3rd pairing defenseman and Sprong AHL. Decent development Pettersson 2nd pairing defenseman and Sprong one dimensional 20 goal winger. I think upside best case scenario is the same worth and Pettersson floor is much better.
I think the trade is a separate issue to where my angst come from. I like MP thus far, my issue here is how Dear Daniel was treated and shunned. Some allege Crosby hated him. Some believe Sprong was worse than the black plague. I tend to view it slightly different. I think Sully is the new Bylsma who relates to curtain jerkers much more than skilled young players who might have issues with immaturity and ego.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm talking about going into this season.
going in to this season we had 3 better RW's than Sprong.

The only time I didn't like how Sprong was handled this year was when Horny was hurt and Rust was still playing badly. That's the opening that made sense to bump Sprong up the line-up.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

The only time I didn't like how Sprong was handled this year was when Simon and Horny were hurt.
And Horny missed quite a few games, and Rust, let's not forget him, he was terrible for most of the season. So there was room for Sprong to be given an opportunity. Well, if we want to be honest about it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And Horny missed quite a few games, and Rust, let's not forget him, he was terrible for most of the season. So there was room for Sprong to be given an opportunity. Well, if we want to be honest about it.
It was only a few games, but it would have been something. Sprong was already traded the 2nd time Horny got hurt. And he was gone before Simon got hurt, my mistake on that.

But when Horny first got hurt and Rust was playing badly, I'd have liked to see Sprong get a chance. At the same time, Sprong had done himself no favors up to then either.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It was only a few games, but it would have been something. Sprong was already traded the 2nd time Horny got hurt. And he was gone before Simon got hurt, my mistake on that.

But when Horny first got hurt and Rust was playing badly, I'd have liked to see Sprong get a chance. At the same time, Sprong had done himself no favors up to then either.
Let me ask you something, did Sprong at any point in his time here prior to this season indicate he would be an effective player on the 4th line?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Let me ask you something, did Sprong at any point in his time here prior to this season indicate he would be an effective player on the 4th line?
That's just an argument for benching him completely, not for promoting him. Because he also hadn't indicated that he was a more effective player than Horny, Kessel, or Rust.

IMO an NHL player should be able to keep their head above water with Cullen and Sheahan.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

The only time I didn't like how Sprong was handled this year was when Horny was hurt and Rust was still playing badly. That's the opening that made sense to bump Sprong up the line-up.

Agreed, playing Wilson over him was a real slap in the face but showed you what Sullivan thought of him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's just an argument for benching him completely, not for promoting him. Because he also hadn't indicated that he was a more effective player than Horny, Kessel, or Rust.

IMO a player should be able to keep their head above water with Cullen and Sheahan.
Rust was brutal for 29 games. At no point during that time, along with Horny being injured for several games they couldn't find room for Sprong? I mean they had better alternatives? Come on, this was an OBVIOUS attempt to DESTROY Sprong. Sully had no intention of giving this sweet sweet kid a chance. Just call it what it was. Sprong was blackballed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad