The All Things Sprong Containment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I'm on board with Sid, Geno, and Letang all being here for as long as they want.

he's certainly behind them, but he's good enough and has been important enough that I would happily lump him in with them in terms of how we build this team going forward.

I agree. Letang is very underappreciated for our team. Hell most of this board spent the whole summer posting that we would never be able to get rid of his "albatross contract"

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This Sullivan quote was about OT, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a general philosophy. If it applies to regular time too, it would probably explain both why Sullivan never took to Sprong and why he talked about working on his shot placement earlier in the year:

“I do think the details of line changes is really important,” he said. “Puck possession is really important. Shot selection is really important. If you take a shot that is a low-quality shot, you might give up possession and you don’t gain anything. Possession is sometimes more important than the shot.”

Penguins searching for elusive overtime success

If that were Sullivan's mindset (his roster preferences would all make sense now), it makes a critical mistake. As we've seen from Sprong's highlights, there's clearly a difference between ZAR taking a low quality shot and Sprong taking a low quality shot. Let ZAR do ZAR things. Let Sprong do Sprong things. Don't confuse their roles or values.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This Sullivan quote was about OT, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a general philosophy. If it applies to regular time too, it would probably explain both why Sullivan never took to Sprong and why he talked about working on his shot placement earlier in the year:

If that were Sullivan's mindset (his roster preferences would all make sense now), it makes a critical mistake. As we've seen from Sprong's highlights, there's clearly a difference between ZAR taking a low quality shot and Sprong taking a low quality shot. Let ZAR do ZAR things. Let Sprong do Sprong things. Don't confuse their roles or values.
I don't think this has much to do with the rest of the game. He's been critical of us passing up shots forever.

I also don't think ZAR has anything to do with Sprong's use here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

You’re reading a lot into something that I’m not sure is there. What does that quote have to do with ZAR and Sprong?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You’re reading a lot into something that I’m not sure is there. What does that quote have to do with ZAR and Sprong?

Think about possession, low quality shots (i.e. from the side of the net, where there's a sliver of twine to shoot at, and if you miss the puck will ring around the boards where you could stand to lose possession), and roster preferences.

If one wanted to rationalize some of Sullivan's wackier roster choices, everything falls into line if that quote about his 3-on-3 priorities also holds true for 5-on-5 time.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Think about possession, low quality shots (i.e. from the side of the net, where there's a sliver of twine to shoot at, and if you miss the puck will ring around the boards where you could stand to lose possession), and roster preferences.

If one wanted to rationalize some of Sullivan's wackier roster choices, everything falls into line if that quote about his 3-on-3 priorities also holds true for 5-on-5 time.

Except he has never said that about 5 on 5, iys just you trying to "find a mistake" that isnt there.

Usually the simple answer is the correct answer... Sullivan doesnt think Sprong is very good. And i havent seen anything so far to prove that statement wrong.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dude, you’re off the deep end on Sprong.

Like seriously.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dude, your off the deep end on Sprong.

Like seriously.

What exactly is so wild about Sullivan prioritizing players who make safer plays to keep possession over more skilled players who take lower percentage shots? That has to be the least controversial thing I've ever suggested.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What exactly is so wild about Sullivan prioritizing players who make safer plays to keep possession over more skilled players who take lower percentage shots? That has to be the least controversial thing I've ever suggested.

You’re reading into quotes like tea leaves trying to identify why Sprong didn’t work here.

He wasn’t good and is one note and the roster has been fine without him. It is pretty obvious.

Like if Sprong gets knocked down to the fourth line in Anaheim when they’re healthy I’m seriously worried for you.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Because your stretching a quote about a very unique isolated situation and expanding it to the complete opposite situation. One where it makes far less sense, in order to find something to bitch about.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think if he knew how to play away from the puck he would have had as many oppurtunities as he could waive a stick at. But he cant... So he didnt.
I think that's a ridiculous argument and if that's the crux to which he's judged he would never have been drafted in the first place.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If you average out the years, he's been getting paid Top 5 d-man in the league since 2014. He brings that?
2013 he was 3rd in Norris votes.
2014 he had a stroke.
2015 he was 8th in Norris votes on a terrible team.
2016 he was 4th while putting up a Conn Smythe worthy run in the playoffs.
2017 he had an injury that ten years ago would’ve ended his career.
2018 and he had a terrible year due to recovering from that injury.
This year he is right on pace to finish in the top five in Norris votes again.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
most years, yes. And his cap is 9th now, since we're talking about the current situation. And he's easily earning that this year.
Letang has played exceptionally well this season, save a few more turnovers of late. But there's been seasons he hasn't looked nearly as good,(if we're being honest about it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad