The All Purpose What's Up With Yakupov Thread

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
He hasn't outplayed any of the top 4 forwards so sad day for him. If he steps his game up, there will be more opportunities.

Oct 30, 2011
The impression I get is that Eakins wants to challenge Yakupov.

When Krueger was coach, it was more about encouraging him, grooming him for that top six role.

They are two different approaches.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
A thought occurred to me and I have to ask if maybe part of the reason for his slow start/struggles has something to do with Hemsky not being traded this summer. We all know how MacT came out and said he was going to deal him. After that, practically all summer everyone around here was pencilling Yak in as the #2 RW and I'm sure he also believed he'd be in the top 6 full time as well after hearing MacT's words. Then Hemsky doesn't get traded, winds up having a good pre-season (and in the coach's good books) which sent Yakupov back to the 3rd line.

I'm not trying to say he's pouting or has a bad attitude, I'm saying I get his frustration if this is partly the case-I'd be pissed too. He's more mad at the situation than anything, especially with having two other rotating line mates who can't keep up with him and are getting limited minutes.

I think Yakupov has to step out of the trees to see the forest and look at the big picture or bright side. Hemsky is unlikely to be an Oiler as early as the trade deadline and probably won't be re-signed either after this season if he's not dealt. Eakins knows this and he's trying to groom Yak for a bigger role with more ice time likely later this season and for sure next season. He still has to earn that spot, but with his drive and determination, that shouldn't be a problem.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
A thought occurred to me and I have to ask if maybe part of the reason for his slow start/struggles has something to do with Hemsky not being traded this summer. We all know how MacT came out and said he was going to deal him. After that, practically all summer everyone around here was pencilling Yak in as the #2 RW and I'm sure he also believed he'd be in the top 6 full time as well after hearing MacT's words. Then Hemsky doesn't get traded, winds up having a good pre-season (and in the coach's good books) which sent Yakupov back to the 3rd line.

I'm not trying to say he's pouting or has a bad attitude, I'm saying I get his frustration if this is partly the case-I'd be pissed too. He's more mad at the situation than anything, especially with having two other rotating line mates who can't keep up with him and are getting limited minutes.

I think Yakupov has to step out of the trees to see the forest and look at the big picture or bright side. Hemsky is unlikely to be an Oiler as early as the trade deadline and probably won't be re-signed either after this season if he's not dealt. Eakins knows this and he's trying to groom Yak for a bigger role with more ice time likely later this season and for sure next season. He still has to earn that spot, but with his drive and determination, that shouldn't be a problem.

Great post I think this sums it up pretty good.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Its about accountability. The sense of entitlement by the young players and fanboy supporters on here stinks. If Yakupov plays poorly, then bench him, its the only way he will learn. The same thing for any Oiler player.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Because the coach made a stupid decision.

Yak could have his worst game ever and it would still be better than anything that any of Brown, Acton, or Gazdic could ever even hope to do in their best games ever.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Yak could have his worst game ever and it would still be better than anything that any of Brown, Acton, or Gazdic could ever even hope to do in their best games ever.

its not about skill, its about performance. Saying that Yak could have his worst game, and still be better than Brown, Acton, or Gazdic is completely untrue. He was worse than those three last game.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
Neftekhimik coach Vladimir Krikunov suggested that there might be an agreement to loan Yak out to KHL for the rest of the season if he keeps struggling badly.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Neftekhimik coach Vladimir Krikunov suggested that there might be an agreement to loan Yak out to KHL for the rest of the season if he keeps struggling badly.

That's silly.

The Oilers aren't going to agree to farm out Yakupov for the rest of the year after a few games of struggles caused by a new coach challenging him to diversify his game.

Usual_Suspect

Jul 4, 2007
3 hours South
@IgorEronko: #Neftekhimik head coach says there’s a chance Nail Yakupov could return to Russia #Oilers #NHL #KHL (1/2)

@IgorEronko: #Neftekhimik HC: ‘Nail’s father saw possible future problems back in summer’ #Oilers #NHL #KHL (2/2)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
@IgorEronko: #Neftekhimik head coach says there’s a chance Nail Yakupov could return to Russia #Oilers #NHL #KHL (1/2)

@IgorEronko: #Neftekhimik HC: ‘Nail’s father saw possible future problems back in summer’ #Oilers #NHL #KHL (2/2)
Oh great ... this is all we need.

Kid gets benched once and people are out from the woodwork suggesting he's going to flee back to Russia.

Problems? Of course there are problems. Generational superstars are pretty much the only guys who get to have a career without problems.
Nail's father needs to relax and let his son have more than fifty games to adjust to the NHL.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

Doesn't matter if Yaks is better than those 3 playing in a wheelchair blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back.

If he isn't playing up to HIS potential, sit his arse in the PB. It has nothing to do with how good or bad other players on the team are. It's about him.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

this 100%

i realize that maybe eakins was trying to challenge/goad yak into playing better, but we are still trying to win hockey games the last time i looked.... yak, on his worst day >>>>>> gazdic/brown/acton/smyth

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
This is a lot of nonsense. This young man has barely broke into the league and is struggling to keep up with the game. It happens all the time when players go from the draft to opening night lineup. There is no doubt that Nail has all the skills and is talented beyond belief but he needs to back up and look at the big picture.

All Eakins has done is give him that chance by sitting him out for a game or two. He is a very valuable piece of the puzzle here and they want to develop him properly. If he gets his nose out of joint so be it. That's should only encourage him to try harder to fit into the team aspect of the game.

syder

Sep 4, 2008
Yakupov will not play tonight. "I really liked our group of forwards last game. We'll stick with the same group." @dallaseakins

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

:facepalm:

Should we put Yakupov on the fourth line, where they average 5 minutes a night, and have some semblance of a two way game?

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
Here's the only tweet that really matters to me so far:

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 52m
Spoke with Igor Larionov about Nail Yakupov KHL rumors: "Not even a single thought to go to the KHL at this moment. Not even a single one."

I've seen enough Yak to take that quote with a grain of salt due to translation issues and the simple fact that he's so passionate. Don't like it, but I'll give him a pass if he gets his attitude in gear.

The one thing that really scares me here is I just ordered a full authentic Yakupov Edge jersey... And I chose him over RNH, our least likely player to ever be moved. Please have the right attitude going forward Yak, please...

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yakupov will not play tonight. "I really liked our group of forwards last game. We'll stick with the same group." @dallaseakins

you've got be be fricken kidding me! really? wow, just..... wow

not only are you benching him for no apparent reason, you are doing so against what i'm guessing was one of his childhood stars in ovi

dick move all around, but more importantly, a move that makes it harder for the team to actually WIN A FREAKING HOCKEY GAME! which, last i checked, is still the purpose of the coach... benching yakupov and having wingers like brown/gazdic/smyth/joensuu playing ahead of him is NOT the way to win hockey games

you would think any idiot would know this, but apparently easkins isn't smarter than the average idiot

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
you've got be be fricken kidding me! really? wow, just..... wow

not only are you benching him for no apparent reason, you are doing so against what i'm guessing was one of his childhood stars in ovi

dick move all around, but more importantly, a move that makes it harder for the team to actually WIN A FREAKING HOCKEY GAME! which, last i checked, is still the purpose of the coach... benching yakupov and having wingers like brown/gazdic/smyth/joensuu playing ahead of him is NOT the way to win hockey games

you would think any idiot would know this, but apparently easkins isn't smarter than the average idiot

Well the average idiot could see that Yakupov is struggling more so than most of the forwards. Like defensively he's a hazard and hasn't been producing offensively.

What an idiot coach Eakins it for sure.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
this 100%

i realize that maybe eakins was trying to challenge/goad yak into playing better, but we are still trying to win hockey games the last time i looked.... yak, on his worst day >>>>>> gazdic/brown/acton/smyth

3 of those guys play on the 4th line as role players. You think Yak should be on a line with Acton and Gazdic so he can play 4 mins? On his worst day he is better than Smyth? Smyth has scored 3 goals and played well since he was scratched. Yak has 0 goals and looks lost.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well the average idiot could see that Yakupov is struggling more so than most of the forwards. Like defensively he's a hazard and hasn't been producing offensively.

What an idiot coach Eakins it for sure.

the guy has hit like 3 posts and is averaging the 4th most shots/game on the team... he is producing offence just fine actually, he just hasn't had any puck luck, so he is pressing more than he should

yes, i'll agree that he is often a defensive liability, but no more than eberle is to be honest

if you want to argue that yakupov is a lesser player than gazdic/brown/smyth/joensuu, you go right ahead and do so, i'm not going to stop yourself from looking foolish... and if eakins also believes this, then yes, he is 100% an idiot - end of story

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
As an outsider, i think scratching a player like Yak is not a great idea !! if it was up to me i would suggest in-game benching, let him have some shifts, if he plays well keep him, if he doesn't and still struggling with his defensive duties, bench his ass !! You gotta show him that accountability is a *****

Ps what seems odd to me is that it looks like Eakins has picked Yak as his scapegoat, while he wasn't good, he wasn't the only one to play mediocre hockey !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad