OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I actually got SO nostalgic for FFXI last night that I ordered a cheap laptop to dedicate for it. I’ve read you can solo a ton of the old content and content I haven’t even experienced yet, and I don’t really care TOO much about end game content, I’m happy to take my time with every little quest and story line, so I guess I’m heading back to a game from 2003... again.

Reactions: Kupo and NYRFANMANI

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I actually got SO nostalgic for FFXI last night that I ordered a cheap laptop to dedicate for it. I’ve read you can solo a ton of the old content and content I haven’t even experienced yet, and I don’t really care TOO much about end game content, I’m happy to take my time with every little quest and story line, so I guess I’m heading back to a game from 2003... again.
If you really want to feel like 2003 again, check out Nasomi, its a (free to play!) retro-server. Downside is that NONE of it is soloable (just like the old days) but it really scratches that nostalgia itch, and has a pretty good sized player base with a few more "modern" quality of life features. Still hardcore though.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Does anyone have any familiarity with Rasberry Pi?

I am getting too old to fully understand this stuff and would love to pick someone’s brain.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
If you really want to feel like 2003 again, check out Nasomi, its a (free to play!) retro-server. Downside is that NONE of it is soloable (just like the old days) but it really scratches that nostalgia itch, and has a pretty good sized player base with a few more "modern" quality of life features. Still hardcore though.

My nostalgia is strictly for FFXI. Favorite game of all time, hands down. The fact that you can do so much solo now and they’ve made EXP easier to come by so it isn’t such a time sink (and you can earn and summon AI party members to get through fights and dungeons) means I can enjoy like 12 years of content before I have to decide if I want to get up to speed and try to get good enough gear to participate in the new end game or if I just want to stay casual and level some other jobs.

Reactions: Kupo

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
@Kupo you should give FFXI a go with me when my computer gets here next week. It’s on sale for $9.99 for the ultimate edition and I’ve been reading up to prepare, it’s been made a lot more accessible so we could crush through story content.

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
@Kupo you should give FFXI a go with me when my computer gets here next week. It’s on sale for $9.99 for the ultimate edition and I’ve been reading up to prepare, it’s been made a lot more accessible so we could crush through story content.
I tried getting back into XI around, 2015, and I just couldn’t get back into the game. I enjoyed running through as many zones as I could so I can experience how brilliant the music was in various areas, but the fire that once burned for it was long gone.

I’ve been playing XIV regularly is for a few weeks with my NHL CHEL crew and we’ve been having a blast though.

I find myself listening to this playlist quite often

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I tried getting back into XI around, 2015, and I just couldn’t get back into the game. I enjoyed running through as many zones as I could so I can experience how brilliant the music was in various areas, but the fire that once burned for it was long gone.

I’ve been playing XIV regularly is for a few weeks with my NHL CHEL crew and we’ve been having a blast though.

I find myself listening to this playlist quite often

Did they have trusts in 2015? I don’t know because I’m not sure how new it is but they say you could play totally solo to 99 through every single story mission for all the expansions and experience everything except for whatever the new end game content is without ever looking for a party.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
I read some things from some of you guys a while ago about Red Dead 2. Should I play it or is it truly a tedious type of game? I enjoyed the first one immensely, but that may be because it was my first exposure to that type of setting, with the time period and wild west stuff. It's free on Game Pass right now, but it's also like 90 gigs lol.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I read some things from some of you guys a while ago about Red Dead 2. Should I play it or is it truly a tedious type of game? I enjoyed the first one immensely, but that may be because it was my first exposure to that type of setting, with the time period and wild west stuff. It's free on Game Pass right now, but it's also like 90 gigs lol.

I couldn't get through it for the bolded reason. Like the Witcher 3 was too overwhelming for a ton of people but RDR2 takes it to a new level.

I may throw my self into it again eventually but it won't be for a while.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I couldn't get through it for the bolded reason. Like the Witcher 3 was too overwhelming for a ton of people but RDR2 takes it to a new level.

I may throw my self into it again eventually but it won't be for a while.

Basically this for me too.

And I’m someone who beat RDR 1 no less than 3 times.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I liked it and got through it. But 100% there are parts of it like “hey, you need to eat, also get a hair cut cause your beard is growing.” I’m tryna play a video game about cowboys not actually live that life. There are some great set pieces though. If you are looking for a time suck during quarantine you could do worse, but those concerns about it are valid.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I liked it and got through it. But 100% there are parts of it like “hey, you need to eat, also get a hair cut cause your beard is growing.” I’m tryna play a video game about cowboys not actually live that life. There are some great set pieces though. If you are looking for a time suck during quarantine you could do worse, but those concerns about it are valid.
yeah but thats what makes RDR2 perfect for Role play servers lol. They put so much into it to make it as real-life as possible but didn't stop to think hey maybe this kind of shit isn't fun to play in a video game.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Does anyone have any familiarity with Rasberry Pi?

I am getting too old to fully understand this stuff and would love to pick someone’s brain.

I made one.... and i got it mostly working. But I haven’t touched it in a while, I’d probably have to refresh my memory.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
My nostalgia is strictly for FFXI. Favorite game of all time, hands down. The fact that you can do so much solo now and they’ve made EXP easier to come by so it isn’t such a time sink (and you can earn and summon AI party members to get through fights and dungeons) means I can enjoy like 12 years of content before I have to decide if I want to get up to speed and try to get good enough gear to participate in the new end game or if I just want to stay casual and level some other jobs.

I had a pretty memorable stint with FFXI back in the day. To be honest while I loved that game to death, and got a big group of my friends to play it with me, the addiction got pretty gnarly. Not life changing (how can a middle schooler’s life be changed that dramatically by a video game), but it was pretty bad. I basically had to block it from my memory for a few years like I was rehabbing lol. My parents HATED that game.

I never got into end game content (probably what spared me), but I had a lvl 75 and spent quite a bit of time in merit parties. My proudest moment was lying to a random group of strangers that I knew the spawn time for the flies that dropped the voyager’s sallet in that floating island zone. Got a whole party up there (which was a f***ing nightmare) and sure enough they were spawned. They only dropped one helmet and I convinced the party to let me have it. No small feat for a 14 year old. Still went back with them the next two days so they could all get their helmets though. I’d rock the helmet in Jueno like I was driving around a Ferrari. People would message me asking how I got it and what HNMLS I was in.

Also got pretty addicted to NM camping. Got all the major drops at that time (peacock charm, ochiodos kote, etc). I was super wealthy but ultimately never really spent any of it lol.

Honestly, it sounds pretty stupid, but I think I learned a bunch of life lessons with that game. OG FFXI was brutal and unforgiving. I learned a ton about communicating with others, I’d play the auction house when their was inflation/deflation and spent what felt like half the time planning/strategizing. Scary to think that some of it isn’t that different than what we do as adults..

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

I played and loved it. It is slower paced than many games but it fits the time period. If you like long single player stories like the Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 or even GTA V then I don’t anticipate you’ll have any problem with it.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I had a pretty memorable stint with FFXI back in the day. To be honest while I loved that game to death, and got a big group of my friends to play it with me, the addiction got pretty gnarly. Not life changing (how can a middle schooler’s life be changed that dramatically by a video game), but it was pretty bad. I basically had to block it from my memory for a few years like I was rehabbing lol. My parents HATED that game.

I never got into end game content (probably what spared me), but I had a lvl 75 and spent quite a bit of time in merit parties. My proudest moment was lying to a random group of strangers that I knew the spawn time for the flies that dropped the voyager’s sallet in that floating island zone. Got a whole party up there (which was a f***ing nightmare) and sure enough they were spawned. They only dropped one helmet and I convinced the party to let me have it. No small feat for a 14 year old. Still went back with them the next two days so they could all get their helmets though. I’d rock the helmet in Jueno like I was driving around a Ferrari. People would message me asking how I got it and what HNMLS I was in.

Also got pretty addicted to NM camping. Got all the major drops at that time (peacock charm, ochiodos kote, etc). I was super wealthy but ultimately never really spent any of it lol.

Honestly, it sounds pretty stupid, but I think I learned a bunch of life lessons with that game. OG FFXI was brutal and unforgiving. I learned a ton about communicating with others, I’d play the auction house when their was inflation/deflation and spent what felt like half the time planning/strategizing. Scary to think that some of it isn’t that different than what we do as adults..

Yes, OG XI was brutal. In the best way. I was 17 when it dropped, so a bit older than you.

On my original run before stopping and starting several times from 2009 forward, I’d leveled Paladin, Thief, Ranger Samurai to 75 and got pretty hardcore with the HNM, dynamis and sky groups. I had my Byakko’s Haidate (?) and Kirin’s Osode for SAM. It was such a crazy time sink.

When I’d come back periodically over the following years I’d level new jobs like Dark or Blue Mage and I’d take the time with my 75 jobs to camp NM’s for gear I didn’t even need, just for the nostalgia and sense of accomplishment; leaping lizzy, valkurm emperor, argus, etc.

I’ll never love a game and the world like I do FFXI and Vana’diel.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yes, OG XI was brutal. In the best way. I was 17 when it dropped, so a bit older than you.

On my original run before stopping and starting several times from 2009 forward, I’d leveled Paladin, Thief, Ranger Samurai to 75 and got pretty hardcore with the HNM, dynamis and sky groups. I had my Byakko’s Haidate (?) and Kirin’s Osode for SAM. It was such a crazy time sink.

When I’d come back periodically over the following years I’d level new jobs like Dark or Blue Mage and I’d take the time with my 75 jobs to camp NM’s for gear I didn’t even need, just for the nostalgia and sense of accomplishment; leaping lizzy, valkurm emperor, argus, etc.

Same, but best I ever did was Get my Thief to level 40. And that took me several months. I was never much good at MMORPGs. But I loved that game. . Wasted an entire summer in high school playing that with my buddies. Whenever I hear that Bastok theme, i get hit with Ultimate nostalgia

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

I never had the right job to camp Lizzy and the Emperor solo (I was a SAM as well), but I teamed up with a few people and tried my hands at those. I hated opening up the map repeatedly.

Spent far too much time in Castle Oztroja and Giddeus though. It was so easy to pass the time just chatting with people.

Agreed on my love for the world. When they added the At Urghan expansion I think the game was at its peak. I still remember arriving in the city for the first time. Also loved Colibri parties in the zones around the city. My friend was a MNK and the two of us could practically duo those things. So satisfying.

Last edited:

Crazyalbo76

Oct 1, 2018
i think civ 6 is still free on the epic games store btw. Trying to keep up with stuff in overwatch and WoW but also have to finish metro exodus and spiderman >_<

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad