OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
XV is super underrated. Its a bit rough around the edges but there's a game that really is more than the sum of its parts. It has a lot of hidden things that make it really special but you have to dig for them. The Royal Addition added a lot. Also the visuals are great, better than VII:Remake. Great music, too.

Im on a major FF kick the past month or so. Beat the Remake, Platinumed the VIII Remaster, and now i'm playing Crisis Core for the first time, really liking it so far. I'm pretty nervous about what to do once i'm don with it, though. Feel like i'm all out of FF games, aside from XIII :help:
13 is fun once you accept what it is. If you enjoyed 12 and 15 you will like 13 and even Lightning Returns. They are unique enough to enjoy. I like combat a bit more in 13 than 15.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
FF 13 was bad.
I tried so hard to push through it but couldn’t. Only FF X-2 has the distinction of being started and not completed by me and I only played that because it came with the ff x hd remaster.
Yeah same. I loved X so much and I wanted more when I finished and I started up X-2. It was horrible.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
FF 13 was bad.
I tried so hard to push through it but couldn’t. Only FF X-2 has the distinction of being started and not completed by me and I only played that because it came with the ff x hd remaster.

I replayed FF-13 recently yeah gotta say my least favorite and going back to the original FF on the NES which is still a classic to me.

With that said FF XV Royal Edition has been very good better than the original and am only on chapter 3.

only annoying thing is when you are in the middle of a hunt in a field the imperial army comes to attack also lol

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
As convoluted as its story is, FF13 actually has one that is completed. It also doesn’t casually drop major bombshells about main characters and never address them again, like somebody being a f***ing robot. That plot twist could have been written and told better by a six year old!

The section on Gran Pulse is far superior to any part of FF15. There are also unforgettable moments like first arriving in Oerba. Moments that SE was going for the same effect with in FF15, like the Leviathan fight, are just a mess.

Not saying either is a great game, but years down the line FF15 will find itself at the bottom of the FF ladder pretty easily.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As convoluted as its story is, FF13 actually has one that is completed. It also doesn’t casually drop major bombshells about main characters and never address them again, like somebody being a f***ing robot. That plot twist could have been written and told better by a six year old!

The section on Gran Pulse is far superior to any part of FF15. There are also unforgettable moments like first arriving in Oerba. Moments that SE was going for the same effect with in FF15, like the Leviathan fight, are just a mess.

Not saying either is a great game, but years down the line FF15 will find itself at the bottom of the FF ladder pretty easily.

Gran Pulse was the better part of the game, imo. But I think FF XV just has more to offer.

I look at games like FF 4, 6,7, 8, 10 and 12 And those still stand as my favorites. Which is unfortunate for some that were released before the better technology/graphics. FF VII remake is most likely a top 3 for me now since they added up to date graphics and gameplay and kept the story pretty intact for the most part.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Gran Pulse was the better part of the game, imo. But I think FF XV just has more to offer.

I look at games like FF 4, 6,7, 8, 10 and 12 And those still stand as my favorites. Which is unfortunate for some that were released before the better technology/graphics. FF VII remake is most likely a top 3 for me now since they added up to date graphics and gameplay and kept the story pretty intact for the most part.

Definitely partial to the pre-13 games as well.

I think a lot of FF13’s bad reputation is tied to SE’s reputation at the time. This was just when things were starting to go south at SE. Expectation were super high for FF13.

They were high for FF15 as well, but SE had sufficiently proven at that point that they were an incompetent company. I think there was also just some relief to see the game out in the wild.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Definitely partial to the pre-13 games as well.

I think a lot of FF13’s bad reputation is tied to SE’s reputation at the time. This was just when things were starting to go south at SE. Expectation were super high for FF13.

They were high for FF15 as well, but SE had sufficiently proven at that point that they were an incompetent company. I think there was also just some relief to see the game out in the wild.

Whatever Square Enix has done in the last several years, they made up for it with the FF VII remake. My only complaint for that game, is that it ended, lol. Well also the Red XIII part where you can’t play him but that was it.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Finally finished Remake. I have my issues with it, (I thought some of the added sections just seemed like busy work to stretch it out) but as a whole, very excellent game, very happy with it. The uncertainty of the plans for this franchise going forward are what really worries me. Wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see the next installment for many years. Also wouldn’t be surprised if it happened at the end of the PS5’s life cycle. We’ll see. But now it’s time to go through the original.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
FF 13 was bad.

I've tried so many times to get into 13. I really have. I just get so bored.

Finally finished Remake. I have my issues with it, (I thought some of the added sections just seemed like busy work to stretch it out) but as a whole, very excellent game, very happy with it. The uncertainty of the plans for this franchise going forward are what really worries me. Wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see the next installment for many years. Also wouldn’t be surprised if it happened at the end of the PS5’s life cycle. We’ll see. But now it’s time to go through the original.

Obviously I don't know for sure I think that is highly unlikely. They already have a lot of assets developed for the game so I would think that cuts down on the development time.

On a different note, PS store has NBA2k20 Ultimate edition on sale for $24.99. Last one I played was 2k18 so I downloaded it. Wow. MyCareer has regressed horribly and what they did for the draft was an absolute joke. Half the fun is working your way up to get a higher draft spot. 2k18 was significantly better.

I've got to head out of town for a few days starting Thursday but when I get back Sunday I'm going to start Persona 5 Royal edition. Any tips for the game or other game suggestions? Once fall comes around it will be a long, long time before I have any time for video games again.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

It will drop before then.

This game's development had so many twists and turns and started in the middle of the PS4 life cycle and still dropped before the PS5. With alot of the nuts and bolts already in place, there won't be as much work to do...

Now of course, designing the major towns and shit may take a ton of time but I'd be shocked if they haven't been working on that already.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

This game's development had so many twists and turns and started in the middle of the PS4 life cycle and still dropped before the PS5. With alot of the nuts and bolts already in place, there won't be as much work to do...

Now of course, designing the major towns and shit may take a ton of time but I'd be shocked if they haven't been working on that already.

Nomura said they are in the planning stages for the second part, whatever that means :laugh:

Straight path RPGs are a waste of time imo, 13 was sooooo boring
Well, I dunno. I've enjoyed some. I don't particularly care for the battle system in 13. The whole game just reeks of... meh.

Since VII, the three games I did not play immediately after their release were IX, XII and XIII. I recently played FF XII: Zodiac Age and that game is an absolute masterpiece. The gambit system was brilliant and Balthier instantly became one of my favorite characters in FF history.

Although I personally didn't enjoy IX enough to finish it (or even come close for that matter) I can see why it is viewed as such a great game.

XIII? I just don't see it. Maybe one day I will give it another try. Not any time soon though.

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Junon gonna be insane

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I never liked X because the character design and world was just a little too... bright for me. I liked VI, VII, VIII, IX which all had more of either brooding characters or medieval type worlds and themes. X just never did it for me, I finished it, and looking back I enjoyed certain elements more in hindsight than I give it credit for, but I could just never get behind Titus or Yuna (and his voice acting). XII was more my style again and then XIII just totally lost me. Hated it. Couldn’t get into XV either, for similar reasons to X. On the surface it’s got a lot of good going for it, but again the characters were a barrier for me; a road trip with “bros” where the lead is a mopey prince just didn’t connect for me.

I loved VI-IX, but in hindsight XI - which was the first MMO I ever played - is my most beloved FF game by many miles. I spent about 9 years in that world. Maybe more. I kept returning. I’d go back today if I owned a computer. I’d play by myself and start at level 1 despite the dated combat and graphics and relatively empty servers. I played XIV for about a year and enjoyed it but it was never the same for me (probably because I played on console and it was so hard to type and play at the same time and I’m too much of an old fart to have any interest in voice chat). Any other MMO I’ve ever tried was barely more than a week or so trial. FFXI was unmatched. Just my opinion. I long for Vana’diel.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I never liked X because the character design and world was just a little too... bright for me. I liked VI, VII, VIII, IX which all had more of either brooding characters or medieval type worlds and themes. X just never did it for me, I finished it, and looking back I enjoyed certain elements more in hindsight than I give it credit for, but I could just never get behind Titus or Yuna (and his voice acting). XII was more my style again and then XIII just totally lost me. Hated it. Couldn’t get into XV either, for similar reasons to X. On the surface it’s got a lot of good going for it, but again the characters were a barrier for me; a road trip with “bros” where the lead is a mopey prince just didn’t connect for me.

I loved VI-IX, but in hindsight XI - which was the first MMO I ever played - is my most beloved FF game by many miles. I spent about 9 years in that world. Maybe more. I kept returning. I’d go back today if I owned a computer. I’d play by myself and start at level 1 despite the dated combat and graphics and relatively empty servers. I played XIV for about a year and enjoyed it but it was never the same for me (probably because I played on console and it was so hard to type and play at the same time and I’m too much of an old fart to have any interest in voice chat). Any other MMO I’ve ever tried was barely more than a week or so trial. FFXI was unmatched. Just my opinion. I long for Vana’diel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad