OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
For FF7 Remake people need to understand the story will not be the same as the original. This is a fresh new take on the game so the exact events will not be all be the same. Whats the point in seeing the exact same events again but in higher def graphics? I for one like the way the story is headed. And yes I did play the original back in the late 90's and bought the game literally on launch day as well. To me these are two separate games but with familiar characters and places.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
For FF7 Remake people need to understand the story will not be the same as the original. This is a fresh new take on the game so the exact events will not be all be the same. Whats the point in seeing the exact same events again but in higher def graphics? I for one like the way the story is headed. And yes I did play the original back in the late 90's and bought the game literally on launch day as well. To me these are two separate games but with familiar characters and places.
I mean so far in my play through, minus the added content, I find that the story is beat for beat with the original.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'm still waiting to see if Aeris
gets ded again or not before I jump in. I actually had it spoiled for me the first time because I played FF8 first, so I wasn't shocked by her death, but I still didn't like it. Especially because Tifa never got her deserved love acknowledgement after the fact. That whole love triangle annoyed me.

Reactions: motopanekeku

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Any Trópico fans?

Kinda, you mean the real-time economy simulation in quasi Cuba? :laugh:

Let me elaborate. Haven't played 5 & 6. Started with the first ages ago and generally love these kind of games. 2nd was wierd and totally different. The played 3 the most.

Recently got Tropico 4, which at first exactly looked like 3, different UI. It added some content though.

The music is by far the best in Tropico 3 and a major reason this series is pretty awesome.

I badly need to dance with a chick to this song.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Just purchased the Royal edition of FF XV, after playing the FF VII remake I know where my expectations will be. Lol. Going backwards but I need something to play, lol.

I did hear though that the Royal edition is better than the original and will be at least different from my first play through.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I downloaded Elder Scrolls Online for free. I heard it’s pretty solo friendly so maybe it’ll give me something to do.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So Just purchased the Royal edition of FF XV, after playing the FF VII remake I know where my expectations will be. Lol. Going backwards but I need something to play, lol.

I did hear though that the Royal edition is better than the original and will be at least different from my first play through.
XV is super underrated. Its a bit rough around the edges but there's a game that really is more than the sum of its parts. It has a lot of hidden things that make it really special but you have to dig for them. The Royal Addition added a lot. Also the visuals are great, better than VII:Remake. Great music, too.

Im on a major FF kick the past month or so. Beat the Remake, Platinumed the VIII Remaster, and now i'm playing Crisis Core for the first time, really liking it so far. I'm pretty nervous about what to do once i'm don with it, though. Feel like i'm all out of FF games, aside from XIII :help:

Reactions: Kupo and Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
XV is super underrated. Its a bit rough around the edges but there's a game that really is more than the sum of its parts. It has a lot of hidden things that make it really special but you have to dig for them. The Royal Addition added a lot. Also the visuals are great, better than VII:Remake. Great music, too.

Im on a major FF kick the past month or so. Beat the Remake, Platinumed the VIII Remaster, and now i'm playing Crisis Core for the first time, really liking it so far. I'm pretty nervous about what to do once i'm don with it, though. Feel like i'm all out of FF games, aside from XIII :help:

I hear ya with the FF kick. It takes up hours and during these times, need something to occupy our time. Spent nearly 100 hours on the FF VII remake. Lol.

I liked FF XV, FF VII remake had some similarities. I also found the side quests and whatnot to be fun. I figured if I’m going to play it over again which has been a couple of years at least, might as well do it with the Royal package. The Dungeons were a lot of fun also.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

If you’re looking for an RPG to play with Royal in the title there’s you should get Persona 5 The Royal. Best JRPG of this generation.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I hear ya with the FF kick. It takes up hours and during these times, need something to occupy our time. Spent nearly 100 hours on the FF VII remake. Lol.

I liked FF XV, FF VII remake had some similarities. I also found the side quests and whatnot to be fun. I figured if I’m going to play it over again which has been a couple of years at least, might as well do it with the Royal package. The Dungeons were a lot of fun also.

royal should have been the complete edition. The OG game was like ff15 beta.

pitteoss ruins were amazing though. So much fun

Reactions: Leonardo87

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Like Kirk said, very underrated game. Ton of stuff too, you won’t breeze through it like you did in FF7 remake.

I started playing FFXIV online recently with a few friends. It’s not as nostalgic as XI but it’s a well made mmo.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
In the grand scheme of things FF15 is a fine game. When you’re looking at it in comparison to the rest of the series it’s an atrocity though. Yes, I think FF13 is a superior game as well - on soundtrack alone.

Doesn’t matter if you got a 50/50 (in all honesty it’s probably a 40/50) on the first half of your exam. If you got a 10/50 on the second half you still got a D-. FFXV is straight up unfinished. Giving me soundtracks to old FF games ain’t gonna change that!

Last edited:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I know I’ve mentioned it before here, but I can’t recommend Divinity Original Sin 2 enough. It’s the perfect quarantine game - so much loot, so much time restructuring build and managing inventory prior to battles.

The ultimate time-sink - one that I probably wouldn’t have the patience for if I could only afford to play it 2-3 times a week like it would be pre-quarantine.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Like Kirk said, very underrated game. Ton of stuff too, you won’t breeze through it like you did in FF7 remake.

I started playing FFXIV online recently with a few friends. It’s not as nostalgic as XI but it’s a well made mmo.

Yeah I actually enjoy the side quests and you explore the entire world trying to find items.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Do note that this is a tech demo that is under near perfect conditions and won't reflect the vast majority of games/etc.

In fact, I don't think many games even lived up to the UE4 tech demo, tbh

Still....this is very hype

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad