OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Tanking isn’t anywhere near as challenging as it was in XI. It’s very difficult to lose aggro. The biggest challenge in comparison is that you’re tanking a group of mobs instead of just 1. The AOE attacks will keep the group focused on you.

Actually the only part of tanking that really scares me is pulling lol I loved tanking in XI but navigating dungeons I’ve only run once or twice as a DD in the past and being responsible for wrangling all the mobs and stuff feels daunting. I mained PLD for a long time in XI but the group pulled to your camp. I’m scared

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Actually the only part of tanking that really scares me is pulling lol I loved tanking in XI but navigating dungeons I’ve only run once or twice as a DD in the past and being responsible for wrangling all the mobs and stuff feels daunting. I mained PLD for a long time in XI but the group pulled to your camp. I’m scared

I’ve never played D&D but always wanted to.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I tried getting back into XI around, 2015, and I just couldn’t get back into the game. I enjoyed running through as many zones as I could so I can experience how brilliant the music was in various areas, but the fire that once burned for it was long gone.

I’ve been playing XIV regularly is for a few weeks with my NHL CHEL crew and we’ve been having a blast though.

I find myself listening to this playlist quite often

You still active on XIV? What server?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Do you....have a decent gaming rig? If not, then what kind of budget do you have in mind?
No this would be my first time building a rig. Im hoping to have a budget around $1000 maybe a little more if I have to go over it.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
No this would be my first time building a rig. Im hoping to have a budget around $1000 maybe a little more if I have to go over it.
Do you have peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.)? A Windows license? If not, that's going to take up a good chunk of your budget.

If so, you could probably get a good build of a Ryzen 2600/3600, 16GB RAM, a corresponding motherboard, 2060 Super, case/PSU, and 1TB SSD for just over the $1k budget.

Reactions: Rangers743

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Do you have peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.)? A Windows license? If not, that's going to take up a good chunk of your budget.

If so, you could probably get a good build of a Ryzen 2600/3600, 16GB RAM, a corresponding motherboard, 2060 Super, case/PSU, and 1TB SSD for just over the $1k budget.
I do have a mouse and my friend is giving me a keyboard but I don’t believe I have a Windows license. Thank you for the help, Im gonna look into those parts.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I do have a mouse and my friend is giving me a keyboard but I don’t believe I have a Windows license. Thank you for the help, Im gonna look into those parts.
You can drop down to a Ryzen 2600 if you want to save on $$$ for a windows license or other stuff. It's still a very good processor. However, depending on when/where you're looking, you might be able to snag the 3600 for only $20-$30 more. And for most cases, you won't need a X570 or B550 motherboard, a B450 is fine. If you get a 3000 series Ryzen CPU, just double check that a B450 mobo will work out of the box with it. For size, I'd suggest Micro ATX.

For SSD, if you want to save more space, you could get a M.2 SSD, which attaches to a slot right on the motherboard and doesn't take up any other space in the case. But you'd have to check if the motherboard has that slot.

I'd look into a 550W/600W PSU. Any case is fine, but I'd look for one with good airflow and cable management.

Also, if you NEED WiFi instead of wired, you'll need to get a WiFi card or buy a mobo with WiFi access on it.

Reactions: Rangers743

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Just started Desperados 3 and it's blown me away so far. If you are into RTS and Stealth gameplay def check it out.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Like two weeks ago I was scared to tank in FFXIV and today I’m a 67 warrior tanking everything I can get my hands on and loving it.

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Like two weeks ago I was scared to tank in FFXIV and today I’m a 67 warrior tanking everything I can get my hands on and loving it.

Nice! It’s a fun ass class, and a lot less stressful than tanking was in XI.

Ghost of Tsushima is fantastic.

I’m so close to getting it. I’m so into FF that I don’t want another game taking any time away from it, at least for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad