OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think they did that to set up the possibility of saving Aerith. Which I think is a good idea. They made her such a great and loveable character in the remake , her death is going to be absolutely devastating, far worse than in the original.
They also did it so they can include Zack, who obviously wasn’t on the original. People need to realize that a lot of FF7 material has been released since 1997, they just aren’t remaking the first game, they want to include the whole FF7 compilation.

A third thing is that they needed a real final boss for this installment. “Saving” Sephiroth for the next or even the third game years down the line wasn’t an option.

Well said, if they can find a way to save Aerith I am all for it, just as long as it’s done right.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think they did that to set up the possibility of saving Aerith. Which I think is a good idea. They made her such a great and loveable character in the remake , her death is going to be absolutely devastating, far worse than in the original.
They also did it so they can include Zack, who obviously wasn’t on the original. People need to realize that a lot of FF7 material has been released since 1997, they just aren’t remaking the first game, they want to include the whole FF7 compilation.

A third thing is that they needed a real final boss for this installment. “Saving” Sephiroth for the next or even the third game years down the line wasn’t an option.

I think they're setting it up to make us believe that she can be saved but will ultimately die as she normally does, in turn making that whole scene even more impactful. She kind of has to because if she is saved, the planet is f***ed unless you stop Sephiroth prior to him summoning meteor (unless they discover another way? I dunno how that would play out because it was such a major plot point in the OG.)

I personally love the ending and a second play through allowed me to catch onto so many things that I didn't clock the first time through. There are so many call outs and references to the other titles in the FF7 compilation which make the ending make a lot more sense.

I was listening to a few podcasts and would HIGHLY recommend reading these 2 short stories written by Nomura called lifestream white and lifestream black. They were originally intended to bridge the gap between FF7 and Advent Children, but they heavily relate to the remake, probably more so than they did to AC. They provide a ton of clarity to the game and to where they are going with this.

Not only do I think Aerith is going to die (to save the planet) but Cloud will die at end game to stop Sephiroth from manifesting himself again as Sephiroth's existence is entirely tied to Cloud's.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
2000 motherf***ing 22....?

Awwwwwwww maaaaaaaaaaaan......

agpCWEt.gif

Reactions: Leonardo87

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I think they're setting it up to make us believe that she can be saved but will ultimately die as she normally does, in turn making that whole scene even more impactful. She kind of has to because if she is saved, the planet is f***ed unless you stop Sephiroth prior to him summoning meteor (unless they discover another way? I dunno how that would play out because it was such a major plot point in the OG.)

I personally love the ending and a second play through allowed me to catch onto so many things that I didn't clock the first time through. There are so many call outs and references to the other titles in the FF7 compilation which make the ending make a lot more sense.

I was listening to a few podcasts and would HIGHLY recommend reading these 2 short stories written by Nomura called lifestream white and lifestream black. They were originally intended to bridge the gap between FF7 and Advent Children, but they heavily relate to the remake, probably more so than they did to AC. They provide a ton of clarity to the game and to where they are going with this.

Not only do I think Aerith is going to die (to save the planet) but Cloud will die at end game to stop Sephiroth from manifesting himself again as Sephiroth's existence is entirely tied to Cloud's.

I suppose that would be more faithful to the original but I don’t know if my poor old heart can take it.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
What are you disappointed with?!
Oh boy. I would have to write an essay, and while I'm actually willing to do that, I'm a bit busy at work to do so right now. In a nutshell, I wanted the exact original game with modern graphics, gameplay, and the ability to do a ton of exploration in Midgar (e.g., visit other sectors, visit the plate beyond one side mission, etc.). Not "open world" per sé, but much more so than what we got.

On the "I wanted the original game" front, I imagine I'm in the minority and I recognize that, but for example:

This version of the plate mission was a complete disaster. The original game gave you this immense sense of loss. Biggs, Wedge, Jessie. Even the FMV showed the newscaster panic a fraction of second before the feed cuts, the people running as the POV from the ground shows the plate coming down. And then the cut to the President watching, emotionless, while classical music played in the background was magical. In this one, no one dies. You even visit the "crushed" slums afterwards, but nothing was crushed...?!?! No sense of loss at all. And the Cait Sith cameo completely took me out of the immersive experience.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Oh boy. I would have to write an essay, and while I'm actually willing to do that, I'm a bit busy at work to do so right now. In a nutshell, I wanted the exact original game with modern graphics, gameplay, and the ability to do a ton of exploration in Midgar (e.g., visit other sectors, visit the plate beyond one side mission, etc.). Not "open world" per sé, but much more so than what we got.

On the "I wanted the original game" front, I imagine I'm in the minority and I recognize that, but for example

The exact original game didn’t allow you to fully explore Midgar though.. How could you want more - yet expect an exact replica of what we played in ‘97?

As far as getting much more than what we got, SE managed to stretch out Midgar from 6 hours to a possible 60+ hour journey with the remake.

My main disappointment lies in the fact that we have the wait years for the second and third installment of the game.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

On the "I wanted the original game" front, I imagine I'm in the minority and I recognize that, but for example:

This version of the plate mission was a complete disaster. The original game gave you this immense sense of loss. Biggs, Wedge, Jessie. Even the FMV showed the newscaster panic a fraction of second before the feed cuts, the people running as the POV from the ground shows the plate coming down. And then the cut to the President watching, emotionless, while classical music played in the background was magical. In this one, no one dies. You even visit the "crushed" slums afterwards, but nothing was crushed...?!?! No sense of loss at all. And the Cait Sith cameo completely took me out of the immersive experience.

Jesse is totally dead dude...

wedge too though that came later.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The exact original game didn’t allow you to fully explore Midgar though.. How could you want more - yet expect an exact replica of what we played in ‘97?

Fair question, let me clarify. When I say I wanted the original game, I mean that in terms of plot development and the plot itself. Side quests that deviated from the main plot line and helped build up the side characters with backstory, allowed you to explore other regions, etc. was definitely a huge part of what I was looking for, but I didn't want that at the expense of the integrity of the main story. For example, the side quest with Jessie on the plate was great but I wanted a lot more than that. We only go onto the plate once, and the fact that we couldn't go to the other Sectors was a huge let down. Cloud making money as a mercenary in the local slums was a great idea and great execution of what I was looking for, but it was too local. He couldn't have hopped on a train for a job in Sector 3 or something?

Yes, Midgar in the original game was pretty linear and certainly not open world, but that's where I wanted the remake to come in and blow our minds. I was hoping you could climb the plate early in the game and get an amazing view of most of the slums, not just Sector 7. I was hoping you could be on the plate at the edge of Sector 1 during the bombing mission and see Kalm way off in the distance (maybe that's a bad example and unrealistic in and of itself, but you hopefully get my point).

There were also elements that flat out took you out of the immersive experience. I hated the
Cait Sith cameo
as I mentioned, but also simply things like - when you are at Aeris's house (Sector 5) and you look to the sky, you are very clearly underneath the Sector 6 plate instead of Sector 5. How on Earth did they get that wrong? I get it that they used the painted backdrops, perhaps even in an homage to the original game, so I'm not here to criticize the graphics or lack thereof, but to get a detail like that wrong is lazy. Similarly, when you are climbing up to the plate, you can see Sector 6 in the background but it looks...generic. No Wall Market or any other landmarks are visible.

My main gripes come with the actual plot though...

• I don't like the alternate timeline idea or the whispers of fate.
  • Along those lines, I didn't want Sephiroth to feature much if at all in this game. I know they couldn't help themselves, but the way he was built up in the original was amazing. Mysteriously powerful. Everyone talks about him as this legend, but you have no idea who he is. A reveal at the end of the remake would have been fine, but I didn't like how overtly present he was from the beginning.
  • I am fuming that Biggs, Wedge, and maybe even Jessie are still alive. Like I said, the plate dropping should have been the Empire Strikes Back of the game. You should have been devastated, but instead you don't feel any sense of loss whatsoever.
  • I understand they didn't want a Mature rating (so I'll forgive them for no trail of blood), but the changes to President Shinra's death were disappointing. The cliché of the bad guy dangling off the edge of a building, only for the good guy to have some sympathy and save him, only for the bad guy to show no gratitude? Sigh... The dialog was miserable in this scene as well.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Jesse is totally dead dude...

wedge too though that came later.

Possibly, her gloves and bandana are on the table next to Biggs at the end so we'll see. And yeah, Wedge seems to die at the end at the hands of the whispers, but that doesn't detract from my specific point that the plate drop - what should have been the most jaw dropping and consequential moment of this game - felt so hollow and boring.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
And FWIW, there's plenty in the game that I love. Seeing these beloved characters truly come to life was amazing. Especially Aeris, Tifa, and Barret. They hit a home run with the characters' personalities and voices. I was just extremely let down by the plot, the execution of certain events (e.g., the plate), and how forced and slow many of the elements fo the game felt.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Possibly, her gloves and bandana are on the table next to Biggs at the end so we'll see. And yeah, Wedge seems to die at the end at the hands of the whispers, but that doesn't detract from my specific point that the plate drop - what should have been the most jaw dropping and consequential moment of this game - felt so hollow and boring.

shes dead. Says so in the chapter select.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ohhh man... Something I caught a little bit ago when trying to 100% the game (f***ing forgot to assess some of the last few bosses.)

Reference the images below for context.

1. The 7th Heaven sign post plate collapse (Chapter 13)

2. Same sign during the ending... It's not nearly as f***ed up insinuating that this is a different timeline than the one we just played in.

3. Is that the pillar still in tact? Is this showing a different timeline in which perhaps Zack is actually able to stop Shinra from dropping the plate? There would still be collateral damage from the fight (and maybe even a chopper that still crashes, which could explain some of the damage to the sec 7 slums.) Maybe this is where we also see that Biggs is still alive (seriously injured on the pillar, but since it doesn't fall, he lives.)

upload_2020-5-4_17-23-43.png

Discuss.

Also @mrhockey193195, I don't think they threw in that Cait Sith scene just for shits and giggles. They were so careful in crafting things in this game that I'd be floored if they don't flash back to what it was doing prior to the plate collapse in the next installment.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
In all seriousness only disappointment with the game was not able to play as Red XIII/Nanaki who was one of my favorite characters in the original game. His story was very strong in the original game, hope we get even more details in the next game. But his voice over and his part to the final chapter stories were done very well in this one. The end was confusing but it made sense after playing through it again.

I think Wedge, Biggs, and Jessie are all alive, or at least Biggs and Wedge, It wasn’t like you hear Wedge crashing and screaming to his death, was more like being pushed out not to interfere with the other character’s fate and he still had something to prove to his Bro, Cloud. Obviously we see Biggs resting in the end so we know he survived

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Finished. Really loved it for the most part with a few minor disappointments over changes. I’d have liked it to be a bit less linear as well, rather than just have extra ladders or corners to look in for materia and boxes, it would have been cool if you could really explore a bit more and stumble upon things, including the occasional tough enemies found on accident rather than because they’re directly on your route.

Aside from that minor bit of feedback (because it’s not even truly a complaint, it didn’t stop me from enjoying anything, I just would have preferred it) my only disappointments were:

President Shinra’s death. It sucked compared to the original. Finding him impaled on Sephiroth’s sword was not only iconic but it’s just better atmospheric story telling. This version along with Barrett being stabbed and brought back by fate paled in comparison. And then the fights with the whisper guardians and all the meta stuff that’s not quite in line with the original got a bit confusing/wonky just inconsistent from the overall quality up until that point. Also I felt like Sephiroth did too much flying. And all the Avalanche helpers should be dramatically and permanently dead.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
@Loki Dog 74 Did you watch advent children?

Im not even recommending it bc honestly, its a chore to watch and the voice acting is atrocious but....

The Sephiorth you see for the most part in this game (Black feathered wing Version) is the Sephiroth from Advent Children, I.E, its a Sephiorth from the future. That mother f***er flies around a lot.

Jessie is dead, Wedge is probably dead. I was convinced that Biggs was alive in another time line but I actually think that he is the lone survivor.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
@Loki Dog 74 Did you watch advent children?

Im not even recommending it bc honestly, its a chore to watch and the voice acting is atrocious but....

The Sephiorth you see for the most part in this game (Black feathered wing Version) is the Sephiroth from Advent Children, I.E, its a Sephiorth from the future. That mother f***er flies around a lot.

Jessie is dead, Wedge is probably dead. I was convinced that Biggs was alive in another time line but I actually think that he is the lone survivor.

Yeah I watched (owned) AC when it came out. I was so obsessed with 7 when it first came out. Don’t remember AC that well anymore though, maybe I’ll do some reading to refresh myself. I know it looks like
Biggs might be the only one alive, but even that I just don’t love. It’s hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things I just like it better the original way. The only thing I hated was the changes to President Shinra’s death. I didn’t mind Seph flying it just seemed a little over done. I do think we’re gonna see two different timelines or divergent realities. Overall I was really happy. I’m also happy to discuss and theory craft until the next episode comes out.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
It kind of annoys me how everyone in the FF7 universe has insane jumping abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad