OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What is the Game Pass and EA Play?

I had one of the original PS4’s until about 2 months ago when it finally overheated and basically crashes every time I turn it on now. Had just bought a used controller from gamestop 2-3 months before that to keep playing Fifa. I have the disc versions of Fifa, NHL, and MLB the Show (the main reason i went with PS4 years ago) that I might as well trade back into Best Buy.

If I only play NHL, Fifa, and the Show, what is the better system to go with? I guess I could live without the Show if it came down to it. And if I like being able to trade the games back in at Best Buy for a small credit towards the new released version every year, I should be considering the disc version? I have a credenza that is not vented well and that probably played a factor in the PS4 dying, although I had always just opened the cabinet door...is it my understanding that the PS5 digital version is cooler because it is a smaller form factor? Which operates faster, disc or digital system version? Does XBOX offer disc and digital versions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated by all of you who game way more than I do these days and know the pros/cons better.

thanks!

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I had one of the original PS4’s until about 2 months ago when it finally overheated and basically crashes every time I turn it on now. Had just bought a used controller from gamestop 2-3 months before that to keep playing Fifa. I have the disc versions of Fifa, NHL, and MLB the Show (the main reason i went with PS4 years ago) that I might as well trade back into Best Buy.

If I only play NHL, Fifa, and the Show, what is the better system to go with? I guess I could live without the Show if it came down to it. And if I like being able to trade the games back in at Best Buy for a small credit towards the new released version every year, I should be considering the disc version? I have a credenza that is not vented well and that probably played a factor in the PS4 dying, although I had always just opened the cabinet door...is it my understanding that the PS5 digital version is cooler because it is a smaller form factor? Which operates faster, disc or digital system version? Does XBOX offer disc and digital versions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated by all of you who game way more than I do these days and know the pros/cons better.

thanks!

Xbox offers disc and digital versions, but there are more differences between the two. X has a larger SSD (1TB storage vs. 512GB), more powerful GPU and more RAM. Series X is capable of 4k gaming, while Series S with its less powerful GPU is aiming for 1080p or 1440p.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The TL;DR for Game Pass/EA Play is that it's a subscription service with access to hundreds of AAA and indie titles.

EA Play is being brought into the Game Pass Ultimate subscription and Game Pass for PC subscription for the holidays, which means you're not just getting all the latest Xbox Game Studio games and whatnot, but you'll get access to all the EA Sports games, like NHL, FIFA, MLB the Show, etc.

It's a great value (especially for PC folk), considering it's 400ish games on the library once the merge happens.

So for those who get the digital-only (Series S) Xbox, it's EXCELLENT. And the difference between the Series S and the Series X is smaller storage (still a good size 512GB SSD), less powerful GPU (will still be great for 1440p/1080p gaming) and a bit less RAM.

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The TL;DR for Game Pass/EA Play is that it's a subscription service with access to hundreds of AAA and indie titles.

EA Play is being brought into the Game Pass Ultimate subscription and Game Pass for PC subscription for the holidays, which means you're not just getting all the latest Xbox Game Studio games and whatnot, but you'll get access to all the EA Sports games, like NHL, FIFA, MLB the Show, etc.

It's a great value (especially for PC folk), considering it's 400ish games on the library once the merge happens.

So for those who get the digital-only (Series S) Xbox, it's EXCELLENT. And the difference between the Series S and the Series X is smaller storage (still a good size 512GB SSD), less powerful GPU (will still be great for 1440p/1080p gaming) and a bit less RAM.

Are all the EA sports games included? It sounded like for some of them you only get extended 10 hour trials.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Are all the EA sports games included? It sounded like for some of them you only get extended 10 hour trials.
Yes, there will probably be a full-release delay as they obviously want you to buy the new games at their full price instead of spending your money wisely, but I would think full versions of the 'next' gen of the EA sports games would be available a few months afterwards.

If you're just looking to get the latest Madden/NHL/The Show as soon as they are available though, then you'll probably want a disc-version of the consoles so you can buy hard copies of the games immediately.

Game Pass will still give you access to latest releases from Xbox Game Studios and whatnot on-release, on top of the big library they already have.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Was able to snag one at Walmart and Target and would have been able to get Gamestop if I had added my new credit card that has 0% APR for the next 14 months, but missed out there. Have a backup in case one of them cancels. Sony really f***ed up the whole situation. If you missed out, at the very least Amazon hasn't started their pre-orders yet.

At least Microsoft is going to be more transparent with their pre-orders.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
@broadwayblue and @Irishguy42 it sounds like you two favor XBOX more over Playstation.

So with the merger for the EA Play it sounds like MLB the Show will be available on Xbox? I think had seen that somewhere it was going multi-platform.

And Series X has the availability of 4K as the technology continues to evolve. Better RAM and storage as well. The unit looks a lot bulkier than the Series S and the PS5 versions, but it could just be the pictures.

Does the PS5 have 4K?

I am cool with the hard copies but my main concern is buying NHL or Fifa and then just a few months later the next gen version comes out with better GPU. I am sure the Xbox X and PS5 have some upscaling built-in but still

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The Series X is about 3x the size of the Series S....has a much larger cooling system as a result of the more powerful GPU and the optical drive takes up space as well.

Both PS5 systems will support 4k gaming.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yes, there will probably be a full-release delay as they obviously want you to buy the new games at their full price instead of spending your money wisely, but I would think full versions of the 'next' gen of the EA sports games would be available a few months afterwards.

If you're just looking to get the latest Madden/NHL/The Show as soon as they are available though, then you'll probably want a disc-version of the consoles so you can buy hard copies of the games immediately.

Game Pass will still give you access to latest releases from Xbox Game Studios and whatnot on-release, on top of the big library they already have.

The Series X is about 3x the size of the Series S....has a much larger cooling system as a result of the more powerful GPU and the optical drive takes up space as well.

Both PS5 systems will support 4k gaming.

Makes me want to get a Series X as well. I originally bought an Xbox One when the last consoles were released. I was severely disappointed. Traded it with a friend for a PS4. But, sounds like this gen will be significantly better.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
it sounds like MLB the Show will be available on Xbox?
There has been no actual 100% confirmation for release platforms, AFAIK, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Xbox/Nintendo basically tweeted hints out that it would be coming to Xbox/Switch as well.

The MLB release even mentions "additional console platforms beyond Playstation"

It will probably be a 'timed exclusive' for the PS5, and then coming to other consoles later. So the Switch, and then Xbox (which, because of Game Pass/EA Play, means eventually PC). I imagine once they reveal the cover, they will reveal release info.

Last edited:
Reactions: RGY

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Makes me want to get a Series X as well. I originally bought an Xbox One when the last consoles were released. I was severely disappointed. Traded it with a friend for a PS4. But, sounds like this gen will be significantly better.

My Xbox One day one edition from 2013 is clunking along...but since I use it almost exclusively for hockey I might wait until next fall to upgrade considering NHL 21 will not be designed for the next gen consoles. That said, the deal where you can finance a Series S for $25/month for 24 months (or $35 for Series X) including gamepass is attractive.

My projector is only 1080p and I don't know when there will be affordable ultra short throw 4K projectors available for me to upgrade to. So the Series S with gamepass might be enough to hold me over for the next year or two.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Anyone know when the 3080 gonna go on sale. Considering pulling an all nighter waiting for it but not sure if I'd just waste my time lol .

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Anyone know when the 3080 gonna go on sale. Considering pulling an all nighter waiting for it but not sure if I'd just waste my time lol .
9AM ET today. So just under 2 hours

Do we know which system will operate the coolest? Like I had said, my PS4 generated a lot of heat.
People can go back and forth about which is more powerful then the other, which means one is clearly going to need more cooling, but we all know that in the end, they will attempt to roughly be the same and the companies will just go different ways to achieve it. I don't think either company will reveal thermals until post-launch when someone will benchmark them and test it. I believe the Xbox One was better than the Ps4 for thermals, and I think it'll be the same for this generation. But we honestly have no idea right now what cooling will be like.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Pulled the all nighter and came out empty handed. I refreshed the page about 100 times between 8:59-9:02 and when it finally changed from not saying coming soon it was just sold out. Goddamn scalpers...

Pain.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I plan to get both, but I can't say either system has that one launch title that really has me clamoring for a Day One arrival.

Does anyone know if PS5 is B.C. with PSN games?

In other words, will a PSN version of Vice City work on a PS5?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I plan to get both, but I can't say either system has that one launch title that really has me clamoring for a Day One arrival.

If it was ever released for PS4, I think it should.

For me, it is release date or nothing to some extent. My slow time of year is Thanksgiving to New Years and 2021 is shaping up to potentially be the busiest year of my life.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I was putting my credit card information into the Best But website just as I got a message the PS5 was sold out.

Hopefully they keep releasing some preorders over the next few weeks, if not I think it’s gonna be tough to get until next year.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

PS Now will be available on PS5, though there has been nothing specific, AFAIK, about how older games will run (like PS2/PS3 old)

That being said, there were PS4 ports for GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas, so I would imagine you'd be able to play them on PS5 as a part of PSN, as they said pretty much all (99%, I think they said) PS4 games will be backwards compatible with the PS5.

Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
PS Now will be available on PS5, though there has been nothing specific, AFAIK, about how older games will run (like PS2/PS3 old)

That being said, there were PS4 ports for GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas, so I would imagine you'd be able to play them on PS5 as a part of PSN, as they said pretty much all (99%, I think they said) PS4 games will be backwards compatible with the PS5.

That's helpful.

We skipped a PS4, but plan to bridge the gap with a 5.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The new Monster Hunter Rises looks sick. I'm going to wait and see if a new Switch is coming out closer to the release date for that.

Might as well pick up GU in that case too.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The new Monster Hunter Rises looks sick. I'm going to wait and see if a new Switch is coming out closer to the release date for that.

Might as well pick up GU in that case too.
Heard the rumor that there's going to be a beefier switch that'll run games in 4k that's going to be out early next year, I'll probably actually get one of those before either the PS5 or new Xbox.

Also apparently the Demon's Souls remaster isn't coming to PC afterall :(

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel like this next generation has something to prove to me.

I think I got spoiled by the length of the PS3/360 era and the wealth of games that came out.

But the PS4/XB1 era just felt like...a little bit of a letdown in many ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad