OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Heard the rumor that there's going to be a beefier switch that'll run games in 4k that's going to be out early next year, I'll probably actually get one of those before either the PS5 or new Xbox.

Also apparently the Demon's Souls remaster isn't coming to PC afterall :(

Truth be told, I'm really digging the Switch.

The portable aspect is nice, and I find that they tend to do a good job of making games that are just "fun to play."

I think somewhere along the line, particularly in this last generation, everyone got so caught up in re-creating open worlds or challenging hardcore gamers, that the fun factor was often lost. Games started to feel like part-time jobs rather than escape experiences.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

The portable aspect is nice, and I find that they tend to do a good job of making games that are just "fun to play."

I think somewhere along the line, particularly in this last generation, everyone got so caught up in re-creating open worlds or challenging hardcore gamers, that the fun factor was often lost. Games started to feel like part-time jobs rather than escape experiences.
The switch has definitely been my favorite console of the last gen, even though it's kind of on it's own schedule. I do think the highs game-wise have been higher for some of the games on the other consoles, but what I've played for the switch has a significantly better average

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Need a suggestion from you guys one these games and what order you would tackle them:
Last of us 2
Avengers
FF7r

I am trying to hold off on FF bc it seems like the scope will consume my life for awhile ha

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Nintendo has always prioritized game play over graphics. They were not in a rush to get to 4k. I never bought a switch, so I'm holding out for the Switch Pro or whatever it will officially be called when it releases in early 2021.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I agree. The Switch has been such a great console. I also agree on the bold. Sometimes there is too much emphasis placed on realism and its almost as if developers forget that games are supposed to be fun.

The games available on the Switch, IMO, did a good job of balancing fun and challenge.
Need a suggestion from you guys one these games and what order you would tackle them:
Last of us 2
Avengers
FF7r

I am trying to hold off on FF bc it seems like the scope will consume my life for awhile ha

I haven't played Last of Us 2 or Avengers, only FF7R. I have not heard good things about Avengers though. I have about Last of Us, so I'd probably go with that or FF7R.

Reactions: bleedblue94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Last of us 2
Avengers
FF7r

Play FF7.

If you played and were obsessed with the original, be prepared for your head to explode.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Play FF7.

If you played and were obsessed with the original, be prepared for your head to explode.

Really? I hated the remake with a passion. It seemed to me like they just added in dumb side quests to make up for the fact they only released Midgar. I'm fine with them changing some things here and there but imo they changed the pacing of the game way too much. The combat is really really fun though. IDK maybe it's because I played the original way too many times.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Last of us 2
Avengers
FF7r

I would go with The Last of Us part two. So far it's pretty on par with the first game. I haven't completed it though. They aren't releasing the next part of FF7 for a while so IMO there's no reason to rush it.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Really? I hated the remake with a passion. It seemed to me like they just added in dumb side quests to make up for the fact they only released Midgar. I'm fine with them changing some things here and there but imo they changed the pacing of the game way too much. The combat is really really fun though. IDK maybe it's because I played the original way too many times.

I loved the added stuff for the most part. The side quests towards the end of the game were kind of annoying (pre Shinra building), especially that f***ing pull up mini game.

Hard to compare it to the original since you got that entire story right away and they're going with the segmented approach this time, but I understand the criticisms some people have.

But my head explode comment was geared more towards things outside of gameplay.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Makes me want to get a Series X as well. I originally bought an Xbox One when the last consoles were released. I was severely disappointed. Traded it with a friend for a PS4. But, sounds like this gen will be significantly better.

Last time around they were too focused on making it a do everything box they lost sight of the purpose of the console...great gaming experience.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I would go with The Last of Us part two. So far it's pretty on par with the first game. I haven't completed it though. They aren't releasing the next part of FF7 for a while so IMO there's no reason to rush it.
This was in line with my thinking as well. Really I'm just trying to pass the time until forbidden west. I alsolutely loved zero dawn for so many reasons.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
FYI both versions of the PS5 are available for order at Walmart right now. Had to refresh 50 times but did get one.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
To be fair, what is the PS5 launching with? Nothing remarkable from what I've seen.
Sony's got 5 first party games that are going to be launch games, it's definitely a subjective thing on how people feel about them, but that's better than nothing. But I personally can't say any of the first party Microsoft stuff that's been announced is all that remarkable, and a lot of those games don't even have release windows yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->