OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
To be fair, what is the PS5 launching with? Nothing remarkable from what I've seen.

I feel like a majority of launch titles for any console are absolute garbage. Looking over a list, most launches are flooded with already-gigantic IPs/franchises (NFL/NBA/NHL/FIFA series games, Call of Duty were the ones that jumped out) and these like, "We hope this pushes extra units because it appeals to 12 year olds" games. For some reason I vividly remember seeing Knack being a release title for PS4 and saying "What the f*** is this" to myself. Maybe that's just because I'm older now when these consoles are dropping and am more selective in what I play, but I've also never seen anyone acknowledge that 95% of launch titles exist past the first month of a console's life.

For PS5, I haven't kept up with any of the news so I'm surprised to see a game with seemingly such enormous scope as Horizon being a launch title. I never played the first but it looks like a GTA/RDR-sized game world which is kind of concerning given the quality of most launch games. Hopefully the quality of everything in-game lives up to all the hype around the first. A lot of people are excited for the Miles Morales game too. Having played Oddworld on PS1, Oddworld: Soulstorm is one I would be interested in seeing, but I doubt that's much of a blip for most people. No clue about any of the other titles.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Does this mean the next Skyrim is going to be an XBOX exclusive? That might be a purchase decision making factor for me...
I think there's a pretty decent chance that most Bethesda games will be Xbox console exclusive from now on. Microsoft needs console exclusives, it's the thing that Sony kills them on. Currently, Bethesda has 2 PS5 timed exclusives coming out but after that Phil Spencer has said it will be a "case by case basis" for future Bethesda games.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think most beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg big AAA series like Elder Scrolls/Fallout/etc will end up being "timed exclusives" for Xbox/PC for something like 6 months and then will go to Playstation.

But...again...I think 'exclusives' are a garbage idea and hurt the gaming industry more than anything. Although I do realize than there are a lot of PC exclusive games that would absolutely not work on consoles due to lack of quick input configuration and whatnot.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
But...again...I think 'exclusives' are a garbage idea and hurt the gaming industry more than anything. Although I do realize than there are a lot of PC exclusive games that would absolutely not work on consoles due to lack of quick input configuration and whatnot.
I understand why you say that but exclusives being a thing does make sense. If consoles had no exclusive games there would be zero reason to buy one or the other. Why would someone buy a PS5 if games like God of War or Horizon were available elsewhere or buy a Nintendo system without Zelda. Might as well just get a PC at that point for all the benefits playing on PC brings.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Might as well just get a PC at that point
tenor.gif

We're so close. Basically only worth it to get a PC+PS5+Switch nowadays. And with the progress that Switch emulators have been making (Yuzu and Ryujinx) it's basically PC+PS5.

Exclusivity is good for individual manufacturers but not good for gamers as a whole, though I can see how it creates "competitiveness" amongst developers who are part of exclusivity deals for microsoft/sony/nintendo. No matter which way you slice it, the gamers lose out, IMO. Because f*** the consumer, amirite?

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Sold out instantly unfortunately. At least they did it right though and gave people a fighting chance lol.

I tried Walmart, Target, Microsoft Store, Amazon and Best Buy. Took a half hour or so but did get a Series S through MS and an X through Amazon.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I tried Walmart, Target, Microsoft Store, Amazon and Best Buy. Took a half hour or so but did get a Series S through MS and an X through Amazon.

Walmart showed out of stock completely after 15 min and pulled the one I had in my cart. Had to hop on a work call after that. Not a big deal though. Glad you were able to get one!

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
BB has some again.

Microsoft was a shit show for this whole thing. By giving advance notice, bots were allowed to screw over everyone else. Thankful I was able to snag one.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
I managed to grab an X Series from GameStop online. I had everything in my cart from the Microsoft online store and I kept receiving an error stating they can't ship to your address because it's out of the country which is funny because they had my address next to the error and I live in Buffalo and everything was correct. Refreshed it and lost all my progress. Must've just got lucky with the Gamestop attempt.

I've been waiting for what seams like eternity for Cyberpunk. I know PC people when the 3000 series cards came out had huge bot issues and PS5 had a shit launch as well. Hoping Microsoft was easier although it doesn't look like it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Seems like most here prefer Xbox to Playstation. Still undecided here on what to get. May wait until next year since NHL, Fifa, etc. wont have the next gen quality until the following year 2021, or at least thats what I thought I read.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Seems like most here prefer Xbox to Playstation. Still undecided here on what to get. May wait until next year since NHL, Fifa, etc. wont have the next gen quality until the following year 2021, or at least thats what I thought I read.

EA went on record stating that for NHL.

Reactions: RGY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad