OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part III

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Built a brand new rig last July and bought a 2070 Super for $550 when they were released. I don't regret it at all, but damn these new cards are juicy. Good news for anybody with a 1070 or 1080 that skipped the 2k series and held out on upgrading. I'll tell you what though, it wasn't easy getting this 2070 Super last summer. Had to watch sites like a hawk for inventory to become available as they would sell out in minutes. I don't think it's going to be easy for anyone to snag these cards upon release. Everyone will be looking to buy one (including of course the bitcoin miners and the scalpers) and with the pandemic and all probably affecting production I expect there to be quite a shortage.

I finally built a new machine earlier this year and retired my 2500k. Went to a Ryzen 3600 and kept my 1080. I tried to nab a 2070 as well but faced the same shortages and kind of let it slide. Hoping to get my hands on a 3080 but I think you're right that the bitcoin miners are going to make a run on them right away.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I finally built a new machine earlier this year and retired my 2500k. Went to a Ryzen 3600 and kept my 1080. I tried to nab a 2070 as well but faced the same shortages and kind of let it slide. Hoping to get my hands on a 3080 but I think you're right that the bitcoin miners are going to make a run on them right away.

100%, especially with how high Gas fees have been on the Ethereum network... you bet they are.

Reactions: Trxjw

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
FF16 and GoW Ragnarok got me HYPED.

I'll f*** with Demon Souls too.
I saw FF16 got announced, but I didn't turn on the stream until probably half way through, so at some point I'll go back and see what I missed. I will say Sony's doing a much better job at giving people a reason to be excited for the nextgen stuff than Microsoft is

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Sony event was great.

$399 for digital version of PS5
$499 for disc version

Pre-orders go live tomorrow.

Forgot all about this event. Trying to figure out if this will be the first time I ever go for digital only versions...could get both consoles for $700 which is pretty solid. Does the digital version of the PS5 give up much over the disc version, besides the disc? I was and still am thinking about the digital Series S, but losing out on half the storage, and the reduced GPU and RAM has me second guessing that decision. I do much prefer the form factor though...but I guess it's easier to make a smaller box when you don't need to worry about cooling.

Reactions: RGY

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Forgot all about this event. Trying to figure out if this will be the first time I ever go for digital only versions...could get both consoles for $700 which is pretty solid. Does the digital version of the PS5 give up much over the disc version, besides the disc? I was and still am thinking about the digital Series S, but losing out on half the storage, and the reduced RAM has me second guessing that decision. I do much prefer the form factor though...but I guess it's easier to make a smaller box when you don't need to worry about cooling.

Well, as someone pointed out to me on the Geek Emporium, if you have PS4 discs it could be worth it to buy the disc version as opposed to digital.

Reactions: RGY

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Well, as someone pointed out to me on the Geek Emporium, if you have PS4 discs it could be worth it to buy the disc version as opposed to digital.

Makes sense. For me it's not really a big issue as I'm a casual gamer and only have a handful of PS4 games. Have always played NHL on xbox...and even then backwards compatibility is not a concern. If the PS5 digital is the same as the disc version I might go discless. Lol

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Xbox still gonna be a better deal because of Game Pass (EA Play is going to become part of it at no extra cost).

Can't wait to get Demon Souls whenever it releases on PC tho

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Xbox still gonna be a better deal because of Game Pass (EA Play is going to become part of it at no extra cost).

Can't wait to get Demon Souls whenever it releases on PC tho
Sony did announce there's that PS4 game collection thing baked into PS+ now.

But I built a computer a few months ago so I wouldn't have to get any more consoles after I ended up with an xbox one, ps4 and switch

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Sony did announce there's that PS4 game collection thing baked into PS+ now.

But I built a computer a few months ago so I wouldn't have to get any more consoles after I ended up with an xbox one, ps4 and switch
Once EA Play rolls into Game Pass later this year, I'm pretty much just getting that for PC. Too good of a deal for $10/month

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
Forgot all about this event. Trying to figure out if this will be the first time I ever go for digital only versions...could get both consoles for $700 which is pretty solid. Does the digital version of the PS5 give up much over the disc version, besides the disc? I was and still am thinking about the digital Series S, but losing out on half the storage, and the reduced GPU and RAM has me second guessing that decision. I do much prefer the form factor though...but I guess it's easier to make a smaller box when you don't need to worry about cooling.
To my understanding, the PS5 digital version is equal to the disc version apart from the missing blu-ray player and minor visual differences.

Reactions: broadwayblue

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I’m shocked that it’s only going to be $49.99.
I think I heard somewhere that it's not going to be as long of a playthrough as the first one, and that it's going to be essentially the same base world but with some changes here and there and a new story in it, so I think that's why it's not a full $60

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think I heard somewhere that it's not going to be as long of a playthrough as the first one, and that it's going to be essentially the same base world but with some changes here and there and a new story in it, so I think that's why it's not a full $60

Never played any of them but I heard the same...something like 8 hours.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
That was a pretty unorthodox FF trailer.

Much less magic/charm and a lot grittier. Closest recent comparison would be 12, but even that was completely different. Basically just looked like a mash up of FFXIV and FFXV.

Definitely happy on the medieval theme.

Also for a FF title those are some shit graphics.

Last edited:

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Some preorders went live tonight.

Was able to snag one off Target before they sold out.

Gamestop is doing it in person, so if you're near one, probably a good idea to call in the morning or just show up. Walmart is also sold out.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'll be getting the PS5 (disc) version but, no rush, as I don't feel I *have* to have any of the launch games.

Played Death Stranding for about 2 hours last night and... WTF? I almost never want to boot it again. It's. Weird.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Some preorders went live tonight.

Was able to snag one off Target before they sold out.

Gamestop is doing it in person, so if you're near one, probably a good idea to call in the morning or just show up. Walmart is also sold out.
They are sold out as well. I *think* I got one of the $749.99 advanced versions. Order went through and it immediately brought me to a blank page that said shopping cart empty. Apparently the confirmation emails are an hour behind.

Walmart will have more next week.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Did they release anymore regarding horizon forbidden west??
Aside from them saying that it’s also being released on PS4, no they did not

I'll be getting the PS5 (disc) version but, no rush, as I don't feel I *have* to have any of the launch games.
This is where I’m at as well. I like Spider Man but I’m not dropping 600$ for it right now.

I’ll pick one up when Horizon comes out

Reactions: bleedblue94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad