OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I just finished Chapter 4, was very hard. You can try an easier chapter and level up, as long as you finish that chapter will save all exp and materia earned and can go back to another chapter.

Gotta say its a lot of fun, you really need to have a game plan and not go in guns blazzin, I recommend using barrier spells, the Iron Maiden bracelet, and the Steadfast block materia.

Provoke+lifesaver ability+Autocure with barret has made hard mode much more manageable for me. He tanks a lionshare of the damage while the others do their thing.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Provoke+lifesaver ability+Autocure with barret has made hard mode much more manageable for me. He tanks a lionshare of the damage while the others do their thing.

Just finished Chapter 5. Took me 4 times to beat the Crab Warden. I wish I payed more attention to leveling up the Pray Materia and use a couple of them. I also equipped Cloud with the Elemental and flame combo on his armor. Was a huge difference in those flame attacks.

It is so critical to conserve MP. I was able to beat it without using much MP, saved it for defense and cure spells only.

I am enjoying the game more now. Felt the first time was about the story now the 2nd time its more about the battles and strategy since we know the story but can see our favorite scenes again.

This game has not failed to entertain. Already going on 45 hours of play.

Last edited:

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Been playing a lot of Valorant lately, kinda sad it's drawn me away from FF7RM..but goddamn is this game CRISP. Never played a FPS that has felt so good. Only downside is the stupid f***ing ultimate abilities like Overwatch.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So a little tip for those playing FF VII remake on Hard mode. The crates with MP Mako shards , will regenerate and will keep supplying shards if you enter and re-enter an area. May take time, but can use more spells if needed in battle knowing its an endless supply.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So a little tip for those playing FF VII remake on Hard mode. The crates with MP Mako shards , will regenerate and will keep supplying shards if you enter and re-enter an area. May take time, but can use more spells if needed in battle knowing its an endless supply.

I had no idea that they regenerated.

I dunno about you, but I've had more fun trying to take down a boss going into the battle with 2 MP and trying to figure out how to beat the thing.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I had no idea that they regenerated.

I dunno about you, but I've had more fun trying to take down a boss going into the battle with 2 MP and trying to figure out how to beat the thing.

Yeah I was shocked also. I found a trail of 3 different boxes and just kept repeating them going in and out of the area. I was able to get at least another 70 or 80 MP restored. I also have two Prayer materia Maxed out it’s like casting somewhere between a Cura and Curaga spell for free. It’s been a life saver.

But yeah I’m having more fun this time around. Can see the story again but now are challenged in battle and have to come up with a plan.

How far did you get? I just finished chapter 8.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Been playing The Show again. It's frustrating how bad they make your teammates.

I get why they do it, seeing as nobody is going to play this game to have an average career, and you're going to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

That said, I think they seriously overcompensate. If I have a 13.4 WAR, I shouldn't be playing a f***ing wildcard game on the road.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Been playing The Show again. It's frustrating how bad they make your teammates.

I get why they do it, seeing as nobody is going to play this game to have an average career, and you're going to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

That said, I think they seriously overcompensate. If I have a 13.4 WAR, I shouldn't be playing a f***ing wildcard game on the road.
*Mike Trout looks up from his dinner*

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Just finished Chapter 5. Took me 4 times to beat the Crab Warden. I wish I payed more attention to leveling up the Pray Materia and use a couple of them. I also equipped Cloud with the Elemental and flame combo on his armor. Was a huge difference in those flame attacks.

It is so critical to conserve MP. I was able to beat it without using much MP, saved it for defense and cure spells only.

I am enjoying the game more now. Felt the first time was about the story now the 2nd time its more about the battles and strategy since we know the story but can see our favorite scenes again.

This game has not failed to entertain. Already going on 45 hours of play.

I finally beat Chapter One, I went back on easy mode and grinded to level 50 and tried to max out as much materia as I could, going to use Chakra and Pray as much as I can, also bought a bunch of MP and HP ups. Gonna hit chapter 2 Hard soon.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah I was shocked also. I found a trail of 3 different boxes and just kept repeating them going in and out of the area. I was able to get at least another 70 or 80 MP restored. I also have two Prayer materia Maxed out it’s like casting somewhere between a Cura and Curaga spell for free. It’s been a life saver.

But yeah I’m having more fun this time around. Can see the story again but now are challenged in battle and have to come up with a plan.

How far did you get? I just finished chapter 8.

I just finished Shinra HQ. Skipped all the side quests that weren't mandatory this time around.

I smacked the f*** out of Rufus and it was glorious. Counter stance is the best ability in the game.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just finished Shinra HQ. Skipped all the side quests that weren't mandatory this time around.

I smacked the f*** out of Rufus and it was glorious. Counter stance is the best ability in the game.

I can’t figure out hell house on hard so gonna skip the chapter and go back once I can max our more materia and weapons. I think this is a battle you need to use attack spells and need a lot of MP.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
lol, yup.

i missed some items on normal mode on that chapter so just replayed it again in normal. Lol

I had to try 5 different materia set ups to get one that finally worked.

I underutilized the f*** out of Aerith too. I didnt realize how OP she was until I really started to mess around with her abilities. I think if I went back and did that fight on Hard I would have crushed it now.

Edit: There is a secret boss in chapter 17! I must go back and do this.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Kudos to all of you sick bastards who are playing on hard. I play every game on normal or easy. I’m here for the story, I don’t have the time, skill or patience to challenge myself like that anymore. Sure, I fondly remember dying to emerald and ruby weapon 100x each in the original, but nowadays I just want to enjoy the story and the nostalgia without giving myself an aneurysm. Witcher 3? Easy mode. God of War 3? Normal. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey? Easy. FFVII? Normal. I’m just not good enough at video games to even think about wanting to do a hard mode run.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I had to try 5 different materia set ups to get one that finally worked.

I underutilized the f*** out of Aerith too. I didnt realize how OP she was until I really started to mess around with her abilities. I think if I went back and did that fight on Hard I would have crushed it now.

Edit: There is a secret boss in chapter 17! I must go back and do this.

Well i've been crusading hard for Aerith since the beginning, I loved using her in battle, even her regular attack which looked weak did hella damage. She also has the better "dream sequence" scene in chapter 14 compared to Tifa. I'll never change my stance that Aerith > Tifa.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Arcane Ward+Magic Up+MP absorb attached to some kind of magic Materia = Almost every enemy in this game gets severely f***ed up AND you recover a decent amount of MP.

They did a good job balancing everyone out though (Well, until I learned how to use Aerith). There isnt a character that I HATED using.

Just completed Hard mode. Going to try and platinum this shit by the end of the weekend but I have my doubts that I'll be able to out pull up Jules. @Leonardo87 there is an optional "boss" later that is harder than the hell house. You have been warned lol.

I need Part 2 right now.

Kudos to all of you sick bastards who are playing on hard. I play every game on normal or easy. I’m here for the story, I don’t have the time, skill or patience to challenge myself like that anymore. Sure, I fondly remember dying to emerald and ruby weapon 100x each in the original, but nowadays I just want to enjoy the story and the nostalgia without giving myself an aneurysm. Witcher 3? Easy mode. God of War 3? Normal. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey? Easy. FFVII? Normal. I’m just not good enough at video games to even think about wanting to do a hard mode run.

Normal mode in FF7R is challenging enough. I appreciate it when a game punishes you for a mistake (GoW was the same way.) Like God of War, I think there is only one optional boss who is semi cheap.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kudos to all of you sick bastards who are playing on hard.
Sadly, we don’t really have much else to do at this moment:laugh:

In all seriousness, hard is considerably more challenging.. But I’m finding that challenge focuses a lot on strategy more than anything else. Every decision you make against a boss rivals a move in a competitive game of chess.

Even some of the easy fights on Hard has you saying WWWTTTFFF after a victory.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Ok so I played secret of mana on my SNES back in the 1940’s and absolutely loved it.. One of my absolute all time faves...

Didn’t play Trials Of Mana though..

Saw some clips of TOM. Looks, interesting....

Need feedback. Go!

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
FFVIII was the first FF game I ever completed. Think I'm gonna go for the Remaster once i'm done with VII:R. Or maybe i'll try Tactics (never played it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad