OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
The AI in the game makes me want to swear off the NHL series forever.

Case in point...

Im on the PP heading into overtime. I have the puck in the offensive zone, and the puck ends up in the corner. The PKer picks up and starts skating out, i move in for the check and bounce off of him like there was no contact at all.
The defense gets the puck in my zone and pass it around in a manner that would be IMPOSSIBLE for a human player, especially a team in real life. I miraculously manage to knock the puck free and the AI team has one guy above the right circle to my three guys. Of course the AI not only comes up with it, but scores 5 hole from the top of the circle to win in OT!!!
If that was my controlled player going for that puck, i would have been flattened into oblivion and taken forever to get back to my feet. Lets not talk about scoring five hole from above the circle with a PKer.
Someone will say "you can adjust the sliders".
These sliders dont do anything except tilt the ice too far in MY favor that its still not fun.
THAT is my wishlist for NHL21. Yeah the ECHL or pictures for you kids drafted as opposed to black silouhettes would be nice, but i just want even, competitive gameplay or at least gameplay i can adjust with the sliders.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's actually impressive how much SE stretched out the timing for the remake vs the original. Like, compare the times it takes in the remake/original to get to the Honey Bee Inn. Comparing minutes to hours at that point.

Which is not to say that said time extending isn't filled with things to do. It is. Just an interesting note I realized while watching a streamer that started the original last night and beat the remake the night before.

The wall market is legitimately a 3-4 hour chapter. It took about that long to get out of Midgar in the regular game.

semi related note: Hellhouse on Hard mode is absurdly difficult. Took me 5 tries.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The wall market is legitimately a 3-4 hour chapter. It took about that long to get out of Midgar in the regular game.

semi related note: Hellhouse on Hard mode is absurdly difficult. Took me 5 tries.
I’m really not looking forward to Hard Mode. I’ve already had like 25 game overs on normal. I had to do some of the Combat Simulators on Easy lol.

On a another note, has anyone actually gotten the Pull-ups Achievement? Def the hardest boss in the game.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m really not looking forward to Hard Mode. I’ve already had like 25 game overs on normal. I had to do some of the Combat Simulators on Easy lol.

On a another note, has anyone actually gotten the Pull-ups Achievement? Def the hardest boss in the game.

I haven't even gotten the squat one.

Hard mode gets 'easier' to a point when you realize that strategy exists outside of battle too, but holy f*** the hell house was just obnoxiously difficult. I dont even want to think about some of the late game bosses.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just Finished FF7.... Ooooohhh Man there is so much to talk about with the last 2 chapters and I've stayed away from anything that could constitute as a spoiler, but I can only imagine that the ending is super controversial.

Personally, I loved the ending as it really sets up some really, really, really interesting scenarios and has a chance (if done correctly) to transcend the game to even higher heights, but I also understand why some people will be miffed by it.

Parallel/alternate timelines are such a tough thing to pull off and while it's super ambitious and I 100% support not making a 1 for 1 remake of the original, my sole worry is that they may deviate too far from the source material (i.e if Aerith lives.) I understand that the arbiters of fate were not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm blown away with how much their 'involvement' makes sense from the first time you see them when you look back after find out what their purpose is. Thats really, really good writing. Zack living through that fight with the Shinra peeps was a complete mind f*** and I'm really curious to see how they link that world into pt 2 and beyond.

Tl;dr: Shits going to be different. I hope it isn't too different.

As for the game itself, It's the best game I've played since God of War which IMO, is THE best exclusive title the PS has to offer (sorry TLoU.) This game was more than I was expecting and my expectations were already sky high. My biggest worry with this installment was how they would cover Wall Market but it was arguably the best chapter in the entire game.

Things I loved: Soundtrack, Fleshing out of the 'lesser' members of Avalanche and Midgar in general (99% of it wasn't useless filler), a near flawless battle system (Stagger feature was an AWESOME add), voice acting. I don't think there was a single boss battle that I hated.

Things I didn't love: Static backgrounds in some areas and the wonky lock on feature which almost never went where I wanted it to go. Both of these can and likely will be patched. Too many fetch quests as side missions for my taste, but they aren't mandatory.

On to Hard mode!

Just finished FF VII remake, loved it, will replay again to see what I missed. Cannot wait for Part 2.

Loved the Cait Sith scene, short, but was an excellent dramatic scene. Got goose bumps. Red XIII was awesome, voice was perfect for him, Just wish you could have played as him. Also don’t think Wedge is dead, those specters/spirits, wouldn’t kill or hurt someone. They just seem to prevent someone from dying to keep up with their true potential fate. Think they were protecting Wedge. But we know Biggs is alive. Feel that whole scene of rescuing Wedge and his cat would have been in vein and lose it’s importance to it if he did die in the Shinra Building.

The last chapter, had a Chrono Trigger feel to it, story wise and game play since you can re-play the game with stats and whatnot from last game. The story shows the world ending with Meteor crashing, similar to Lavos and the Apocalypse, and then you saw flashes of possible futures that are uncertain with alternate realities, that is so CT. If Cloud can save Aerith think I would be f0r it, as long as it’s done the right way. Part 2 is hopefully gonna be amazing.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Just finished FF VII remake, loved it, will replay again to see what I missed. Cannot wait for Part 2.

Loved the Cait Sith scene, short, but was an excellent dramatic scene. Got goose bumps. Red XIII was awesome, voice was perfect for him, Just wish you could have played as him. Also don’t think Wedge is dead, those specters/spirits, wouldn’t kill or hurt someone. They just seem to prevent someone from dying to keep up with their true potential fate. Think they were protecting Wedge. But we know Biggs is alive. Feel that whole scene of rescuing Wedge and his cat would have been in vein and lose it’s importance to it if he did die in the Shinra Building.

The last chapter, had a Chrono Trigger feel to it, story wise and game play since you can re-play the game with stats and whatnot from last game. The story shows the world ending with Meteor crashing, similar to Lavos and the Apocalypse, and then you saw flashes of possible futures that are uncertain with alternate realities, that is so CT. If Cloud can save Aerith think I would be f0r it, as long as it’s done the right way. Part 2 is hopefully gonna be amazing.

I just finished it too, watching the credits roll right now. Amazing game . I’m now devastated that we will have to wait years for he next part.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just finished it too, watching the credits roll right now. Amazing game . I’m now devastated that we will have to wait years for he next part.

Think it will be out next year. Already in Development and they already have the game make up. Adding should take less time.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I have no idea how the next installments will be, but I think this is my favorite game in the entire series.

Aerith dying was instrumental in stopping Meteor (and current Sephiroth knows this) so if she lives, it would make for a really interesting story moving forward but holy shit, does it have a chance to be completely f***ed up. If she lives, I think Cloud is the one who dies but it won't be in the middle of the game ala Chrono. Sephiroth said something to the effect of "I will not end, nor will I have you end" which stuck out in my mind. It's almost as if his existence is bound to Cloud though I could be reading into it too much.

Theres also the possibility that things play out the same way that they did before with the theme being that you really can't out run fate even if you defeat it, but I don't think thats how they'll play it after what they did in this game.

Biggs, Wedge and Jessie are all alive in the alt timeline #3 (1 being OG FF, 2 being the one we just played) but in #2 at least 2 of them are dead. I don't know what happened with Wedge in the Shinra building but it is implied that he died. I don't know how the hell they're going to handle this alternative timeline thing but if they pull it off, it's going to be beyond epic.

Its a ways away, but playing as Vincent when he limit breaks into Beast Mode may be the thing I'm looking forward to the most.

The only thing that still baffles me (aside from where they're going to go after the ending) is what did marlene see when she touched Aerith in 7th Heaven?

I just wrapped the Train Graveyard in Hard mode and I think I enjoy the game even more this time around. There are a bunch of little things that I didn't pick up on, not in the sense of quests or items, but story wise.

If you're looking to get into hard mode, just be prepared to get your ass kicked a bunch.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I have no idea how the next installments will be, but I think this is my favorite game in the entire series.

Aerith dying was instrumental in stopping Meteor (and current Sephiroth knows this) so if she lives, it would make for a really interesting story moving forward but holy shit, does it have a chance to be completely f***ed up. If she lives, I think Cloud is the one who dies but it won't be in the middle of the game ala Chrono. Sephiroth said something to the effect of "I will not end, nor will I have you end" which stuck out in my mind. It's almost as if his existence is bound to Cloud though I could be reading into it too much.

Theres also the possibility that things play out the same way that they did before with the theme being that you really can't out run fate even if you defeat it, but I don't think thats how they'll play it after what they did in this game.

Biggs, Wedge and Jessie are all alive in the alt timeline #3 (1 being OG FF, 2 being the one we just played) but in #2 at least 2 of them are dead. I don't know what happened with Wedge in the Shinra building but it is implied that he died. I don't know how the hell they're going to handle this alternative timeline thing but if they pull it off, it's going to be beyond epic.

Its a ways away, but playing as Vincent when he limit breaks into Beast Mode may be the thing I'm looking forward to the most.

The only thing that still baffles me (aside from where they're going to go after the ending) is what did marlene see when she touched Aerith in 7th Heaven?

I just wrapped the Train Graveyard in Hard mode and I think I enjoy the game even more this time around. There are a bunch of little things that I didn't pick up on, not in the sense of quests or items, but story wise.

If you're looking to get into hard mode, just be prepared to get your ass kicked a bunch.
I think its implied that Marlene has the "Shining" just like Aerith.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Too short imo......

Just, a great big f***ing tease.

9.5/10

just wish it was longer, especially to people like me who milked everything possible...

Part 2 will be Available in 2047.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Was thinking in regard to the end of FF VII...

The whispers are plot armor for the original game plot, keeping the characters destiny in play to what would be the end of the original FF7. Now that the heroes broke the plane, moving forward is no longer a FF VII remake and will be a whole new game but with the same mission of saving the planet and going after Sephiroth but will be different to how they get there and accomplish their mission.

This can turn out to be simply brilliant or a disaster. I think fans are gonna be torn by this plan.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So Was thinking in regard to the end of FF VII...

The whispers are plot armor for the original game plot, keeping the characters destiny in play to what would be the end of the original FF7. Now that the heroes broke the plane, moving forward is no longer a FF VII remake and will be a whole new game but with the same mission of saving the planet and going after Sephiroth but will be different to how they get there and accomplish their mission.

This can turn out to be simply brilliant or a disaster. I think fans are gonna be torn by this plan.
They already did it poorly with Kingdom Hearts before. What makes people think they'll do it successfully now?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Too short imo......

Just, a great big f***ing tease.

9.5/10

just wish it was longer, especially to people like me who milked everything possible...

Part 2 will be Available in 2047.
I don't know, I think they did pretty well in stretching out a 3 hour segment of the original.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I just ordered a PS4 (pre-owned), plus NHL20, MLB20, FIFA20, Spider Man, Star Wars Battlefront II, and The Witcher III.

Mostly because I need some way to get a hockey fix. Will probably re-sell all of it once hockey is back.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
spiderman and Witcher 3 are awesome.

Yeah, I'm excited about them. FIFA and the Star Wars game more came out of the deal Gamestop was running on pre-owned games when you buy a pre-owned console.

I wouldn't have done any of it if NHL was available on PC. f***ers :laugh:

I know it hasn't been on there in a long time. But it's still annoying.

Blue Men Group

Apr 29, 2019
I played and beat God of War a last week and then played Resident Evil 3. I'm wondering if I would have liked RE3 more if I didn't play it after one of the greatest games I've ever played. It was extremely mediocre to me.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yo f*** hard mode. Couldn’t even beat the Scorpion Sentinel. Guess I’m done with this game now. Sigh....

It happens to the best of us.

I think Im still grinding my way through hard mode because its pissed me off so much that I HAVE to beat it. If it weren't for Corona, I would have given up a while ago.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It happens to the best of us.

I think Im still grinding my way through hard mode because its pissed me off so much that I HAVE to beat it. If it weren't for Corona, I would have given up a while ago.

i'll probably give it another go but man its just brutal. Not only are the enemies way stronger (even the weakest security forces do hella damage) you can't use items at all, not even outside of battle! Just not fair lol.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I played and beat God of War a last week and then played Resident Evil 3. I'm wondering if I would have liked RE3 more if I didn't play it after one of the greatest games I've ever played. It was extremely mediocre to me.

Eh, as a big RE fan, RE3 was a bit of a letdown. Granted, it definitely didn't help that you played it right after God of War lol.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
i'll probably give it another go but man its just brutal. Not only are the enemies way stronger (even the weakest security forces do hella damage) you can't use items at all, not even outside of battle! Just not fair lol.

Yeah and it gets worse....Benches only restore HP! I've smashed every single box I've seen with hopes that I'll get a Mako shard.

Switching characters is so important because the AI tends to key in on who ever you're using. Barret was probably my least favorite character to use in the regular play through because he was so f***ing slow, but he's been a godsend in hard mode.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yo f*** hard mode. Couldn’t even beat the Scorpion Sentinel. Guess I’m done with this game now. Sigh....

I just finished Chapter 4, was very hard. You can try an easier chapter and level up, as long as you finish that chapter will save all exp and materia earned and can go back to another chapter.

Gotta say its a lot of fun, you really need to have a game plan and not go in guns blazzin, I recommend using barrier spells, the Iron Maiden bracelet, and the Steadfast block materia.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad