OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I never tried Final Fantasy, it seems too complicated.

Has anyone seen the Diablo IV trailer?? It looks pretty sick, I think they're going back to a lot of elements that made Diablo II a classic....after the III fiasco. They brought back some familiar bosses and the atmosphere looks way darker than III. Lilith looks f***ing awesome; Metal as f***.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Has anyone seen the Diablo IV trailer?? It looks pretty sick, I think they're going back to a lot of elements that made Diablo II a classic....after the III fiasco. They brought back some familiar bosses and the atmosphere looks way darker than III. Lilith looks f***ing awesome; Metal as f***.

I can't remember where I read this, but that would be because they originally were working on a D2 remake and decided to scrap it and use those assets for D 4. This game should feel like D2 in many aspects.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Never played a FF game, just heard about them from friends. What's the deal with the story, is it a different cast of characters every time or is it there a overarching plot?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Never played a FF game, just heard about them from friends. What's the deal with the story, is it a different cast of characters every time or is it there a overarching plot?
Outside of the direct sequels, none of the games are explicitly connected. The stories are all separate from each other.

However, they will share similarities such as monsters/in-universe technology/magic/etc.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA

D4 looks so SICK!

I recently bought GRIM DAWN for $5 on a daily steam sale.. let me tell you, it's incredible. It's really scratching that Diablo itch for me. Definitely recommend.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
D4 looks so SICK!

I recently bought GRIM DAWN for $5 on a daily steam sale.. let me tell you, it's incredible. It's really scratching that Diablo itch for me. Definitely recommend.
I'd check it out but I run Macs, unfortunately. Nothing beats Diablo II though, nothing.

I'm looking to pick-up a game for my computer on Steam. I just like the old Blizzard games for computer gaming, not really into anything else. I’ll probably just download Starcraft II since I never really played it that much.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I'd check it out but I run Macs, unfortunately. Nothing beats Diablo II though, nothing.

I'm looking to pick-up a game for my computer on Steam. I just like the old Blizzard games for computer gaming, not really into anything else. I’ll probably just download Starcraft II since I never really played it that much.

Unfortunately, D2 was a bit before my time - but from all accounts, it's reigns king. Starcraft 2 is equally brilliant, though. It's a little too twitchy for my attention span anymore- too much to micromanage for me to handle. The campaign is where I had the most fun.

If you're looking for that old school feel, my suggestion is Pillars of Eternity. Mac version. Plays like baldur's gate. Really, really well crafted, deep game.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate

If you like a good RTS, I'd recommend any of the Paradox games like Hearts of Iron, Victoria, and Crusader Kings. Very deep, and a pretty good-sized learning curve. I'd consider myself a pretty big HOI newb with 135 hours.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

HOLY SHIT. So f***ing In. I'm pretty sure I spent about double the amount of time playing D2 as I did studying during college. This looks amazing and much more like D2.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Unfortunately, D2 was a bit before my time - but from all accounts, it's reigns king. Starcraft 2 is equally brilliant, though. It's a little too twitchy for my attention span anymore- too much to micromanage for me to handle. The campaign is where I had the most fun.

If you're looking for that old school feel, my suggestion is Pillars of Eternity. Mac version. Plays like baldur's gate. Really, really well crafted, deep game.

I still periodically go back to D2, the game is timeless IMO. Perfect atmosphere, you can either take in the story (which is pretty cool) or ignore it completely, talents are really diverse and make for some interesting play styles. If you're ever looking for something to try and you like Blizzard games in general, it's a must-play.

Also can confirm Pillars of Eternity is a terrific game.

Reactions: Salvage21

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Have you ever played Torchlight II?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Doesn’t get anymore bad ass than this...

BCF64FCC-D270-4427-8C8C-E7BEE89C8360.jpeg

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
No. I’m a creature of habit, I usually stick with what I like. The only video games I’ve really played extensively are Starcraft, Diablo II, Resident Evil, and Pokémon.

Well, that is why I asked. It is made by the same people who made Diablo II. It is on steam/ps4/xbox/switch. It is cheap.

If you look at the screenshots at the bottom of the website, the menu bar, health/mana bar and environment settings should all look EXTREMELY familiar. It feels more like a Diablo game than D3 by a mile. If you download it let me know which platform. I have it on steam already.

Torchlight II

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Finished Lost Odyssey, nice experience, great and emotional story. Very much FF-flair, but by faaaar not as deep as older FF title, considering depth, mechanics and such.

Games waiting to be finished: MGSV Phantom Pain, Yakuza 0 and Divine Divinty.

Recently started TESII Daggerfall Unity with mods ... totally awesome!

Last edited:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Finished Lost Odyssey, nice experience, great and emotional story. Very much FF-flair, but by faaaar not as deep as older FF title, considering depth, mechanics and such.

Games waiting to be finished: MGSV Phantom Pain, Yakuza 0 and Divine Divinty.

Recently started TESII:Daggerfall Unity with mods ... totally awesome!

Oh man, Lost Odyssey is a classic. Loved that game when it first came out.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's actually impressive how much SE stretched out the timing for the remake vs the original. Like, compare the times it takes in the remake/original to get to the Honey Bee Inn. Comparing minutes to hours at that point.

Which is not to say that said time extending isn't filled with things to do. It is. Just an interesting note I realized while watching a streamer that started the original last night and beat the remake the night before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad