OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
If you have the PS online subscription (PS Plus), there's currently a few free games for download.

Batman Arkham Knight is one. Worth it.

I'm messing around with Sniper Elite 4. It's a 3rd person shooter. It's fine - not great but free so why not.

I don't have PS Plus. Do they often have free games to download or this a one-time thing? My last console was a Xbox 360, NHL 10. Spent so much time manually fixing the rosters -_- guess I might need a subscription now lol.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Someone used my Amazon access code to get in for the beta, and the Activision support page is offline. Assholes.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Borderlands 3
Amazeballs. That's all I can say. 2K did an exceptional job on this. Graphics are gorgeous. Gameplay is solid as always. Story is whacky like usual. I got into BL games late but overall, I'm glad I did.

NHL-2020
Reaction time on everything seems a tad slow. Skating seems a little choppier than last season. I can't get a ****ing pass through another player in 3V3 Chel. Players intercept the puck like whoa. They scaled back glitch shots a lot, but they did also scaled back penalty's a bit so you can actually try and poke check or stick lift. The BETA felt very similar to 2019, but the full version definitely feels different. I'm a playmaking dman so not being able to thread the needle like I have for years is infuriating.

It's nice not listening to Emrick. That's a positive. Overall, it's what you would expect from EA hockey. Small updates. Nothing major, which is disappointing. EA needs competition because they simply don't give a rats ass anymore.

COD BETA
I give up play COD. Game makes me want to punch baby llamas in the face. My crew and I got into a game where we were getting spawn trapped by a team of virgins who have already memorized all the spawn points. I came very close to throwing my controller across the room after a few games.

Could have been the Alcohol. Drunkness and competitive first person shooters isn't a good combo. I think I actually play NHL better after a nice buzz and rips of some kush, but not COD. Especially when you drink to the point where you're using that one-eyed technique to minimize seeing double.

giphy.gif

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
I don't have PS Plus. Do they often have free games to download or this a one-time thing? My last console was a Xbox 360, NHL 10. Spent so much time manually fixing the rosters -_- guess I might need a subscription now lol.
PS+ has two free games every month, though you will only be able to play them while your subscription is active. Sometimes the games are good, sometimes less so.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Borderlands 3
Amazeballs. That's all I can say. 2K did an exceptional job on this. Graphics are gorgeous. Gameplay is solid as always. Story is whacky like usual. I got into BL games late but overall, I'm glad I did.

NHL-2020
Reaction time on everything seems a tad slow. Skating seems a little choppier than last season. I can't get a ****ing pass through another player in 3V3 Chel. Players intercept the puck like whoa. They scaled back glitch shots a lot, but they did also scaled back penalty's a bit so you can actually try and poke check or stick lift. The BETA felt very similar to 2019, but the full version definitely feels different. I'm a playmaking dman so not being able to thread the needle like I have for years is infuriating.

It's nice not listening to Emrick. That's a positive. Overall, it's what you would expect from EA hockey. Small updates. Nothing major, which is disappointing. EA needs competition because they simply don't give a rats ass anymore.

COD BETA
I give up play COD. Game makes me want to punch baby llamas in the face. My crew and I got into a game where we were getting spawn trapped by a team of virgins who have already memorized all the spawn points. I came very close to throwing my controller across the room after a few games.

Could have been the Alcohol. Drunkness and competitive first person shooters isn't a good combo. I think I actually play NHL better after a nice buzz and rips of some kush, but not COD. Especially when you drink to the point where you're using that one-eyed technique to minimize seeing double.

giphy.gif

100% agree on BL3. I played the first in high school and the 2nd in college, it's bringing back a ton of nostalgia. Especially playing it with the same people.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
From what I understand, it’s sort of a hybrid, you pick your actions and whatnot and in between your character is running around on his own doing stuff to fill the ATB gauge

That video posted leads to another longer version, with the chick pretty much representing every fanperson in the world. What I saw is exactly that. A hybrid fighting system composed of the classic FFVII round based (yesss) and the new style, first implemented with FFXII kinda. The in-fight running around and stuff looked much less confusing and hectic than in FFXIII for example, the classical element is placed into the game with a beautiful UI.

I loved it. I was scared that they might mess it up somewhat, change the musical score, hectic gameplay, diversion from the original. So far it looks badass and on mf point! Music seemed just remastered, at least the tracks that played. Characters look EXACTLY like in the guide book. So far it felt and looked like FFVII in super HD.

Last edited:

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
From what I understand, it’s sort of a hybrid, you pick your actions and whatnot and in between your character is running around on his own doing stuff to fill the ATB gauge

Yea I completely forgot about that. Not quite the turn-based fighting I wanted. Absolutely hated the fighting in FF15 and if FF7RM battles are close to that..

I couldn't play 15 in more than 30m spurts because battles felt so hectic, and at the same time so flat. I retract my "Take my money" meme status.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
NHL 2020 is a roster update and a few small tweaks different than 19, but those small tweaks were welcomed. No Emrick on commentary and the presentation overhaul was long overdue. I like the little interjections that Ferraro makes (saying "Oh" or "Wow" right before a goal or a big play is made). Adds a bit of realism to the commentary but I'm sure I'll be sick of it in a month.

Your 2021-22 New York Rangers two seasons into my franchise mode:

Ovechkin (94)-Zibanejad (86)-Kakko (88)
Panarin (89)-Chytil (82)-Kravtsov (84)
Kreider (83)-Byfield (80)-Raymond (80)
Andersson (81)-Howden (82)-Buchnevich (81)

Dahlin (88)-Fox (88)
Skjei (86)-Trouba (88)
Miller (82)-Hajek (80)

Lundqvist (85)
Shestyorkin (85)

Notables in the minors: Anton Lundell (79 overall, 20 years old, taken 9th overall in 2020 draft), Nils Lundkvist (79 overall at 20 years old, upgraded to elite potential from top 4), Olof Nittymaki (taken 8th overall in 2021 draft, already a 79 overall at 18 years old)

Notes:

- St. Louis offersheeted an 81 overall, 24 yeard old DeAngelo for 5 years, 3.45 million. I took the compensation (1st and 3rd rounder). I was able to snag Byfield 8th overall in the 2020 draft after trading those picks and Ryan Lindgren (lol wtf) for the 8th overall.

-Ovechkin just signed as a UFA: 2 years, $9.5 million per season

-Do yourselves a favor and edit Zibanejad. Criminally underrated in this game as a 85 overall. I edited him to 86 overall, but he's plateaued and is an 86 overall "top 6" forward

-Kakko is 88 rated at 21 years old

-Panarin has maintained his 89 overall rating

-I created Kravtsov and started him as a 79 rated, medium elite Playmaker RW. He's now 84 overall at 22 years old.

-I was able to "Keith Tkachuk" Kreider. Traded him for a 1st at the deadline (which turned into the 7th overall where I was able to draft Lucas Raymond, again, lol wtf). He stayed at 83 overall, and was able to sign him in UFA at 4 years, $4.5 million per year

-Byfield, Lundell, and Raymond are all medium elite players

-Buchnevich went down in overall between 2020 and 2021, Raymond won his 3RW spot; probably going to trade him at the deadline before he hits RFA.

-I was able to offersheet Dahlin at 7 years, $10.5 million per. Buffalo didn't match (lol, wtf x 3) and I have a franchise defenseman for almost the entirety of my franchise mode without giving up player assets. I lost the 4 1st rounders, but those will all be 24th overall or less. Going for it by going for Ovechkin in UFA.

-I created Fox initially as a 79 overall, medium elite player. He's ballooned to a 88 overall, 23 year old top pair RHD in just two years. Skjei and Trouba stayed steady and even improved a bit.

-Created Miller as a 78 overall, medium elite player. 82 overall after two years.

Have a feeling that there's going to be a couple of virtual Cups coming to New York :)

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That video posted leads to another longer version, with the chick pretty much representing every fanperson in the world. What I saw is exactly that. A hybrid fighting system composed of the classic FFVII round based (yesss) and the new style, first implemented with FFXII kinda. The in-fight running around and stuff looked much less confusing and hectic than in FFXIII for example, the classical element is placed into the game with a beautiful UI.

I loved it. I was scared that they might mess it up somewhat, change the musical score, hectic gameplay, diversion from the original. So far it looks badass and on mf point! Music seemed just remastered, at least the tracks that played. Characters look EXACTLY like in the guide book. So far it felt and looked with FFVII in super HD.

100% this.

Classic turn based combat was never going to be an option for this remake. What they implemented was honestly the best way to give that crowd what they wanted while not completely bogging down the entire experience. I will be playing this using the command menu rather that mapping shortcuts.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
What they implemented was honestly the best way to give that crowd what they wanted while not completely bogging down the entire experience.

As part of that crowd I couldn't agree more.

It was a key factor to me how they would modernize the fighting system, without it felling misplaced in the FFVII experience. This albeit short clip was amazing. Basially in vanilla FFVII you'd had your turn and then the character's wouldn't do anything until their next turn. They filled that void with all this running around and stuff, idk it just felt real and really great.

Side note: Holy shit! The summons and the new system regarding them?! o.m.g. That can't just go mental in a millisecond. Close to FFXII where the esper is kinda fighting along side. Again less hectic, than what I found FFXIII to be. FFXV too maybe, never played them though, just watched. Please correct me, as far as I know there were like 5 summons in FFXV?! (if so, I find that a shame)
Any how with the FFVII remake we get at least 16 ... funny, I thought it'd be more.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
On COD: I have to say I'm liking the beta so far. I hated the exo-suit, jumping beans COD's of the past few years. I've been clamoring for boots on the ground to come back, but for some reason WWII and BLOPS4 didn't do it for me. Modern Warfare just feels right. Hit detection is good even for a beta. I'm digging the maps so far. Haven't played a night time map yet, but that looks really cool and will add variety to multiplayer.

The 2 v 2 mode in the alpha was a ton of fun too. I forsee myself killing hours with friends on that mode alone.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
As part of that crowd I couldn't agree more.

It was a key factor to me how they would modernize the fighting system, without it felling misplaced in the FFVII experience. This albeit short clip was amazing. Basially in vanilla FFVII you'd had your turn and then the character's wouldn't do anything until their next turn. They filled that void with all this running around and stuff, idk it just felt real and really great.

Side note: Holy ****! The summons and the new system regarding them?! o.m.g. That can't just go mental in a millisecond. Close to FFXII where the esper is kinda fighting along side. Again less hectic, than what I found FFXIII to be. FFXV too maybe, never played them though, just watched. Please correct me, as far as I know there were like 5 summons in FFXV?! (if so, I find that a shame)
Any how with the FFVII remake we get at least 16 ... funny, I thought it'd be more.

You're correct and 2 of them are basically only useable either in the last 10% of the game or literally in the last sequence of the game.

KotR is going to be bonkers in the remake.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
You're correct and 2 of them are basically only useable either in the last 10% of the game or literally in the last sequence of the game.

KotR is going to be bonkers in the remake.

Dude, back then fantasy was strong enough with us that the cut scenes were already bomb. Imagine this time! The later one's with the weapons going nuts. This might be again the best game ever.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
NHL 2020 is a roster update and a few small tweaks different than 19, but those small tweaks were welcomed. No Emrick on commentary and the presentation overhaul was long overdue. I like the little interjections that Ferraro makes (saying "Oh" or "Wow" right before a goal or a big play is made). Adds a bit of realism to the commentary but I'm sure I'll be sick of it in a month.

Your 2021-22 New York Rangers two seasons into my franchise mode:

Ovechkin (94)-Zibanejad (86)-Kakko (88)
Panarin (89)-Chytil (82)-Kravtsov (84)
Kreider (83)-Byfield (80)-Raymond (80)
Andersson (81)-Howden (82)-Buchnevich (81)

Dahlin (88)-Fox (88)
Skjei (86)-Trouba (88)
Miller (82)-Hajek (80)

Lundqvist (85)
Shestyorkin (85)

Notables in the minors: Anton Lundell (79 overall, 20 years old, taken 9th overall in 2020 draft), Nils Lundkvist (79 overall at 20 years old, upgraded to elite potential from top 4), Olof Nittymaki (taken 8th overall in 2021 draft, already a 79 overall at 18 years old)

Notes:

- St. Louis offersheeted an 81 overall, 24 yeard old DeAngelo for 5 years, 3.45 million. I took the compensation (1st and 3rd rounder). I was able to snag Byfield 8th overall in the 2020 draft after trading those picks and Ryan Lindgren (lol wtf) for the 8th overall.

-Ovechkin just signed as a UFA: 2 years, $9.5 million per season

-Do yourselves a favor and edit Zibanejad. Criminally underrated in this game as a 85 overall. I edited him to 86 overall, but he's plateaued and is an 86 overall "top 6" forward

-Kakko is 88 rated at 21 years old

-Panarin has maintained his 89 overall rating

-I created Kravtsov and started him as a 79 rated, medium elite Playmaker RW. He's now 84 overall at 22 years old.

-I was able to "Keith Tkachuk" Kreider. Traded him for a 1st at the deadline (which turned into the 7th overall where I was able to draft Lucas Raymond, again, lol wtf). He stayed at 83 overall, and was able to sign him in UFA at 4 years, $4.5 million per year

-Byfield, Lundell, and Raymond are all medium elite players

-Buchnevich went down in overall between 2020 and 2021, Raymond won his 3RW spot; probably going to trade him at the deadline before he hits RFA.

-I was able to offersheet Dahlin at 7 years, $10.5 million per. Buffalo didn't match (lol, wtf x 3) and I have a franchise defenseman for almost the entirety of my franchise mode without giving up player assets. I lost the 4 1st rounders, but those will all be 24th overall or less. Going for it by going for Ovechkin in UFA.

-I created Fox initially as a 79 overall, medium elite player. He's ballooned to a 88 overall, 23 year old top pair RHD in just two years. Skjei and Trouba stayed steady and even improved a bit.

-Created Miller as a 78 overall, medium elite player. 82 overall after two years.

Have a feeling that there's going to be a couple of virtual Cups coming to New York :)

Did you do full sim on the franchise, or do you ever stop to play some of the games? I'm waiting to see how they roll out the first roster update before starting my NYR franchise, and right now I'm just messing around in a fantasy draft franchise mode.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

I don't understand a single word of it but holy **** this looks amazeballs.

Holy crap that looks amazing.

We do need to take the x-factor into account here - and that is that SE isn’t the same company it was 20 years ago. Calling it a shell of its former self would also be giving the new SE too much credit.

I really, really hope they can nail this. FF15 and KH3 were decent enough for the company to turn a big profit, but they were far from great games. Modern SE still needs to find its identity.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Holy crap that looks amazing.

We do need to take the x-factor into account here - and that is that SE isn’t the same company it was 20 years ago. Calling it a shell of its former self would also be giving the new SE too much credit.

I really, really hope they can nail this. FF15 and KH3 were decent enough for the company to turn a big profit, but they were far from great games. Modern SE still needs to find its identity.

I think the battle system was the one big worry that everyone had, looks like they nailed it.

The good news for them is that the original story was so strong that all they basically have to do is carry it over. Of course there will be tweaks and extra stuff that we didn't get in the original but as long as they stay true to the source material I don't see how they can mess this up.

I like that they've taken their time with this as well. It's going to be almost a full 5 years between the original E3 reveal and release. I know some of that was due to circumstances outside of actual game development, but they aren't rushing this and it sounds like the people behind it know how big of a deal it is and are taking this project very, very seriously.

SE hasn't been the same since the merger though, I agree with that. The best title they've put out IMO was one that they didn't even develop (NieR Automata, which was bloody f***ing fantastic.)

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Also if there's not like NG+ or something where you can keep Aeris throughout the entire game, 10 year old me is going to be devastated.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Remnant From the Ashes is a solid Sekiro, SoulsBourne game that has guns. Very cool game if you're into From Software games.

NHL 20. I just tried to start a Franchise and put it down. No Fox, Kravstov or Shesty yet. Idk why. Other prospects are in the game. Anyone?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Remnant From the Ashes is a solid Sekiro, SoulsBourne game that has guns. Very cool game if you're into From Software games.

NHL 20. I just tried to start a Franchise and put it down. No Fox, Kravstov or Shesty yet. Idk why. Other prospects are in the game. Anyone?
There's usually a hangover with prospects coming from the NCAA and KHL until they play a professional game in North America. They should be in the next roster update, which I'm guessing will happen in the next couple of weeks.

Or you can just create them yourself if you want. I'm going to do that for K'Andre before starting my franchise once they add the other guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad