*The All-Purpose Sean Monahan Thread*

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Hartley has been using him in tough minutes and difficult situations to see if he is capable of competing in them, and the absolute answer is that he isn't just doing okay in those minutes, or looking lost, he is excelling in those minutes. They put him in in the last 2 minutes of a tied hockey game and he scored the winning goal, he didn't just make it so the other team didn't score, or not have a bad giveaway.

There is nothing for him in junior. His place is with the Flames, and if not only for his development, look at the wonders he is doing for Baertschi. I have never seen him so good, they practice for a half-hour after every practice, they go over game tapes, go over scenarios, they room together. Baertschi isn't teaching Monohan how to be a pro, Monohan is teaching him, and man is it working. This is going to be a duo for a long time. They just mesh well together, they feed off of each-other, and they genuinely like each-other. You can't just force that chemistry, and I say if they naturally have it, stick with it and let it flourish.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't understand "burning 1 year of the ELC". According to cap geek, he'll be an RFA in 2016-17, but if he stays with the Flames, he'll be an RFA in 2015-16?
For the sake of over simplifying, Monahan's contract has not actually started yet. It does not technically kick in until July 1st, 2015 (2 year after his first draft eligible year) unless he plays 10 games in 1 season prior to then.

Cap Geek doesn't show contracts sliding until they are sent back to Junior, Europe, the USHL or the AHL (in cases like Sieloff's)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
For the sake of over simplifying, Monahan's contract has not actually started yet. It does not technically kick in until July 1st, 2015 (2 year after his first draft eligible year) unless he plays 10 games in 1 season prior to then.

Cap Geek doesn't show contracts sliding until they are sent back to Junior, Europe, the USHL or the AHL (in cases like Sieloff's)

Oh I see. Well that's not that big of a loss. The guy's playing lights out and his contract hasn't even kicked in, so imagine how he plays when it does?! :sarcasm:

He wants to be here, he's played like it, so it would be very disappointing for him to be sent down. What message does it send him to send him down when he's already a leader in the NHL scoring race?

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Oh I see. Well that's not that big of a loss. The guy's playing lights out and his contract hasn't even kicked in, so imagine how he plays when it does?! :sarcasm:

He wants to be here, he's played like it, so it would be very disappointing for him to be sent down. What message does it send him to send him down when he's already a leader in the NHL scoring race?

I don't think the management could legitimately answer questions as to why they sent him down if they did. Besides, they need a name to put on the back of Jersey's to sell. It's a smart business decision and hockey decision.

I think he has the best chance of all junior eligible players currently playing this year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
How is it not? Playing with/against the worlds best, on an international stage. High pressure. Chance to become a winner and win a medal for your country.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with it but I don't see how it is more beneficial to the NHL for the WJC (unless he is struggling)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Like I said (and Stewie said) it would be great experience for a young player to learn how to play (and win) in a high pressure game. Lord knows he may not see any playoff games in CowTown for a couple years.

A) He has played in the playoff games before.

B) If he helping us win then I think he better spent on our team than at the WJC as we can control how he plays and how much.

I'm not in favor of releasing him for the WJC unless he is struggling at that time with us.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Id rather see him play for the WJC. It will give another young centre in the depth chart a chance to play some NHL hockey while allowing Monahan to experience that stage of hockey

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
A) He has played in the playoff games before.

B) If he helping us win then I think he better spent on our team than at the WJC as we can control how he plays and how much.

I'm not in favor of releasing him for the WJC unless he is struggling at that time with us.

Is it more beneficial to the Flames? Probably not.

Is it more beneficial to Monahan? Absolutely. Which in the long run would be better for the Flames.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Is it more beneficial to the Flames? Probably not.

Is it more beneficial to Monahan? Absolutely. Which in the long run would be better for the Flames.

Based on what? Show me anything that suggest that it will benefit him more than playing in the NHL.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Based on what? Show me anything that suggest that it will benefit him more than playing in the NHL.

Playing with/against the worlds best, on an international stage. High pressure. Chance to become a winner and win a medal for your country.

Winning a gold in the WJC is one of the greatest experiences any player could ever ask for. Not sure how this is even debatable.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009

I think its an ice time argument if Cammy and Stajan are on the roster and start earning time back away from Sean sending him to the WJC could be better than playing <10mins a night; while if he's keeping the Flames high in the standings with >13 mins a game easy to say that he shouldn't bother going. Just depends on where he is at come the end of November.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Its experience.

Experience helps development.

Anyone wanna jump in here? Not sure how to explain this further. :laugh:

There our countless players that have gone and busted and countless that have not gone and done great. I don't see how hurting the team to send him the WJC is better for him and the team.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
There our countless players that have gone and busted and countless that have not gone and done great. I don't see how hurting the team to send him the WJC is better for him and the team.

I guess there's no way to know one way or the other. It's hard to imagine Monahan playing well enough to be on Team Canada, only to come back and be worse.

The Flames would probably be worse off while he's gone. But he may come back and be even better than before.

Who knows.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I guess there's no way to know one way or the other. It's hard to imagine Monahan playing well enough to be on Team Canada, only to come back and be worse.

The Flames would probably be worse off while he's gone. But he may come back and be even better than before.

Who knows.

Like I was saying, I don't think unless he struggles there is any reason to send him down.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I guess the patriot in me would be irate if I found out the Flames were stopping him from representing his country. Nothing would make me happier than to see Monahan score the Gold medal winning goal in overtime. *tear*

It would be great from a personal stand point but I think playing against the best is what is best for him and the NHL is the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad