*The All-Purpose Sean Monahan Thread*

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
710840-sean-monahan.jpg

Yea I think he definitely deserves his own thread. The best prospect we've had since Phaneuf and looking like he may make the team at 19 years old.

This thread will also serve as a stats watcher should he not make the team or be sent back down to the OHL.

The question now is; does the acquisition of Colborne make Mohahan lose his spot? I say no. Monahan at 2nd/3rd, Colborne on 3rd/4th.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think it does mean Monahan gets sent down after a short stint to start the season. Otherwise I don't see the point in the acquisition of Colborne when we have Knight and Reinhart to play fourth line centre.

Fat Damon

Oct 15, 2008
I think Monahan will start the season on the 3rd line. After 9 games he will be sent down.
Monahan is good, but bärtschi has more upside potential, if he learns how to play on a constant level.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I think it does mean Monahan gets sent down after a short stint to start the season. Otherwise I don't see the point in the acquisition of Colborne when we have Knight and Reinhart to play fourth line centre.

But Knight and Reinhart have been sent down already. It's now between Colborne, Bouma, Horak, Jones and Street for that 4th line center spot. Quite the log jam and with no more preseason games to see what Colborne can do wearing the red and black.

I think sending Monahan down just because we acquired a struggling Colborne would be a terrible, terrible mistake. The guy has EARNED a spot on this team.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I think sending Monahan down just because we acquired a struggling Colborne would be a terrible, terrible mistake. The guy has EARNED a spot on this team.

I completely agree, Monahan has earned his spot and shown that he can play in the NHL this season. But then I also thought Knight should have been the fourth line centre, and was pretty surprised when he got cut.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Knight is pretty much as new to the Flames as is Colborne. We have no special obligation to either player. If Knight would of been NHL ready, he'd be on the team. We made the right decision to send him down, he's very close but not quite there.

And Go easy Mony!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Feaster came out today and say that the Colborne trade has nothing to do with Monahan.

I don't think Cammy's ready to go to start the season... Meaning, I think we'll see a line with Sean and Joe on it... Which is awesome, both big kids with skill. Loving this rebuild so far.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Feaster came out today and say that the Colborne trade has nothing to do with Monahan.

I don't think Cammy's ready to go to start the season... Meaning, I think we'll see a line with Sean and Joe on it... Which is awesome, both big kids with skill. Loving this rebuild so far.

I want to keep both guys playing center. We need them both down the middle. Badly.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009

The best prospect we've had since Phaneuf [/QUOTE]

Funny, because a few weeks ago, 96% of the users here agreed that Bärtschi is the best prospect the Flames have in the system.

I know Hockey is fast living and Monahan is a promising player, but do people really begin to write Sven off just because of a few bad pre season games, in which he was even dealing with an injury? :shakehead

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Funny, because a few weeks ago, 96% of the users here agreed that Bärtschi is the best prospect the Flames have in the system.

I know Hockey is fast living and Monahan is a promising player, but do people really begin to write Sven off just because of a few bad pre season games, in which he was even dealing with an injury? :shakehead

Yes, sadly, some people do.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Baertschi's old, busted and washed up. Monahan's the new hotness. Well at least until he gets sent down - then he's old news as well. S.Reinhart and Ekblad will be the new focal points at that point.

That's pretty much how it works here.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

That vote was also before summer camp and not many had seen Monahan play. I think Monahan has a higher upside but I think Sven might break out this year so it is a toss up for me. I don't think anyone is writing off Sven as much as people are being surprised by Monahan.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I still think Sven is the best prospect we have. He's just still figuring out the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

What? Thinking Monahan is a better prospect takes nothing away from Baertschi. Monahan was a top 6 pick in a very deep draft, in any other year he would have likely gone top 3. The guy is a big centre that plays an excellent two-way game, is a natural leader who's playmaking skills, vision and shot are on par with Sven.

Monahan is simply a better prospect. There is no way around it, that says more about how good Monahan is because Baertschi is still a phenomenal prospect.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Sean will stay up. He's so smart and positionally he seems to always be in the right spot. He'll only get better with more games and his play really adds an element we are missing.

@ Volica, I think his upside is something around a Bergeron. Extremely strong all around play, averages 65-70 pts year in and year out. I think he may hit an 80pt year early in his career due to being leaned on so heavily. Once he figures out that a team game will win a championship I think his numbers will average out at the totals I mentioned. It will vary on who he plays with.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
i didn't watch the entire game - but from when i was watching and when monahan was out there he was visible - which says a lot for someone who was just drafted. he seemed positionally pretty good (from what i saw) and didn't play stupid (which is saying a lot re his draft recency).

he's a really good draft pick for you guys...imo he won't disappoint you at all and he'll probably out play ppl drafted before him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah the one thing I noticed about Monahan last night is that he wasn't really caught out of position at any point last night, and didn't struggle along the boards.

I was mildly impressed.
I agree with this sentiment after game #1, now after game #2 I am impressed with him. Maybe a strong home opener and I will become very impressed.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
|
Nathan MacKinnon​
|
Sean Monahan​
Time to Score First NHL Point |
37:20​
|
5:18​