*The All-Purpose Sean Monahan Thread*

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Just to stick it more to those people who been following the whole "empty cupboard" motto that's been kicking around here for the longest time.
Problem is this year, our European depth is pretty lacking currently. I don't think we'll have anyone outside of Rushan playing for an international team.

It wouldn't matter. Last year Wotherspoon and Granlund were both standouts, but people wilfully overlooked that and still don't give them any credit.

Personally though I think one of the big stories this year will be Jon Gillies. I'd bet that he gets a lot more respect around the hockey world after the WJ's.

Aug 3, 2010
Just checking. We still don't seem to draft many Europeans.
It's something they should work on but at least they know their North American talent to a "t".

Calgary just has never had a really strong scouting presence in Europe outside of the men's leagues. Probably has a lot to do with the lack of great European players in the team's history. Only Loob, Makarov, Nilsson and Makarov can be principally counted among them, and of them, I think only Loob is in minor contact with the Flames and Nilsson scouts for Florida.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
It's something they should work on but at least they know their North American talent to a "t".

Calgary just has never had a really strong scouting presence in Europe outside of the men's leagues. Probably has a lot to do with the lack of great European players in the team's history. Only Loob, Makarov, Nilsson and Makarov can be principally counted among them, and of them, I think only Loob is in minor contact with the Flames and Nilsson scouts for Florida.

Miikka Kiprusoff? Or do you mean drafted European players? Also you have Makarov on there twice.

Aug 3, 2010
Miikka Kiprusoff? Or do you mean drafted European players? Also you have Makarov on there twice.
Meant to put Kiprusoff there instead of Makarov twice. If only he'd work for the Flames as a scout but that would most likely be a big conflict of interest somehow as he owns a team as well.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
4 goals and 6 points is incredible so far. I thought Baertschi would be our favorite for the Calder candidacy, but Monahan is making a huge impact so far.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
4 goals and 6 points is incredible so far. I thought Baertschi would be our favorite for the Calder candidacy, but Monahan is making a huge impact so far.

Money and Sven have been spending a lot of time together off the ice and have been doing one on one practicing quite a bit, which is great news for us and them. Let them help propel each other to their potentials and give us a dynamite duo.
Once again, more and more impressed every day.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Money and Sven have been spending a lot of time together off the ice and have been doing one on one practicing quite a bit, which is great news for us and them. Let them help propel each other to their potentials and give us a dynamite duo.
Once again, more and more impressed every day.

Johnny Hockey on the right next year?

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Sometimes I forget we have Gaudreau coming up as soon as the end of our season. It's at least a fun time to be a Flames fan.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Sometimes I forget we have Gaudreau coming up as soon as the end of our season. It's at least a fun time to be a Flames fan.

He's the one IMO we should be most excited about. Watching Danny Briere all these years, gives me hope.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Johnny Hockey on the right next year?

This would make a good scoring trio, but the thing is that would be a VERY small line in comparison to NHL standards.

A 5'11" LWer, a 6'0" Centerman and a 5'8" RWer would get demolished by most D, especially considering we have primarily offensive defencemen. If Gaudreau can dodge NHL caliber defensemen as well as he can propsects and college hockey players this line could work.

Also, I'm pretty sure Heartley isn't going to let them have a line without a Veteran winger for a couple years.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This would make a good scoring trio, but the thing is that would be a VERY small line in comparison to NHL standards.

A 5'11" LWer, a 6'0" Centerman and a 5'8" RWer would get demolished by most D, especially considering we have primarily offensive defencemen. If Gaudreau can dodge NHL caliber defensemen as well as he can propsects and college hockey players this line could work.

Also, I'm pretty sure Heartley isn't going to let them have a line without a Veteran winger for a couple years.

Monahan is 6'2"

Aug 3, 2010
After watching the highlights tonight, I find the chemistry and talent level between Baertschi and Monahan to be absolutely electric.

For Baertschi's first goal of the season (assisted by Monahan), he is tapping at the side of the net as Monahan is playing it from behind the net and in the post-game interview Monahan mentions "he knew Baertschi was calling for it but I already knew he was there".

And then of course, the game-winner is on Monahan's stick by a slick pass by Baertschi who has the confidence to make a play like that.

Just fantastic.

aJykbch.gif

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Wait until Poirier is on that line so that Baertschi and Monahan take turns feeding his breakaways, or driving hard to the net to cleanup.

Gaudreau I think will be on the 2nd line with Jankowski/Backlund/Granlund or whomever they draft in the upcoming draft(s). Can't wait to see Gaudreau in the NHL though. He will add such a dynamic presence to the lineup.

Love the high-hockey IQ and solid work-ethic that the Flames are chasing in their prospects.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
After watching the highlights tonight, I find the chemistry and talent level between Baertschi and Monahan to be absolutely electric.

For Baertschi's first goal of the season (assisted by Monahan), he is tapping at the side of the net as Monahan is playing it from behind the net and in the post-game interview Monahan mentions "he knew Baertschi was calling for it but I already knew he was there".

And then of course, the game-winner is on Monahan's stick by a slick pass by Baertschi who has the confidence to make a play like that.

Just fantastic.

aJykbch.gif

The relationship is very akin to Rattie and Baertschi in Portland. B likes to find guys that can get open and are willing to shoot. Not only that but Mony has size and strength that Rattie wished he had.

fallsviewafro*

Sean "Money" Monahan. I freaking love this kid! What a beauty!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->