The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc - Another day, another injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
so who sits? Simon? Or does he play 4C with Laff/Blandisi sitting? I guess if Bjugs is back too, it could be both.

Maybe this until a trade/injury?

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Galchenyuk-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Bottom 6 play 3a/3b depending on form, situation etc.

I mean the lines are pretty fluid depending on form, injuries etc even during games. Wingers outside of Guentzel, Rust (and a lesser extent Hornqvist) don’t usually play big minutes at ES when in the top 6.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The more I think about it the more I really think the coach at least has to give Malkin an "opportunity" for that line to cool off before he disassembles it. If that opportunity never arrives then I guess that's a pretty terrific problem to have because it means they will continue on their merry way absolutely gutting other teams. It's kind of eye opening what you can still get from Malkin when he gets the goodies, so to speak. Even as a big fan I'm a little surprised. Some of the best sustained hockey I've seen him play, all around.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
The more I think about it the more I really think the coach at least has to give Malkin an "opportunity" for that line to cool off before he disassembles it. If that opportunity never arrives then I guess that's a pretty terrific problem to have because it means they will continue on their merry way absolutely gutting other teams. It's kind of eye opening what you can still get from Malkin when he gets the goodies, so to speak. Even as a big fan I'm a little surprised. Some of the best sustained hockey I've seen him play, all around.

I think last season was a perfect storm of things going wrong with regards to Malkin. There’s Phil, Malkin not adjusting his game, the D, general team D, general team effort, (speculation) relationship issues off ice. 2017/18 he had one of his better career seasons and certainly the best since his 2011/12 50 goal season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think last season was a perfect storm of things going wrong with regards to Malkin. There’s Phil, Malkin not adjusting his game, the D, general team D, general team effort, (speculation) relationship issues off ice. 2017/18 he had one of his better career seasons and certainly the best since his 2011/12 50 goal season.

I think what you actually must mean here is that he is a pouty Russian who refused to buy in last year, right?

I was dismayed at how his year went last year but never actually concerned about all the weird shit even supposedly reputable people were suddenly concerned about last season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's pretty clear that for whatever reason Crosby isn't wild about lining up next to Hornqvist, first of all. And Simon, while Crosby likes him, has some pretty obvious warts as a top six player.

It's a tricky situation. I'm not even saying that you necessarily break up G.G. Rustin right away. Only that I don't think that hypothetical line is setting up Crosby that well. And I frankly would feel pretty hypocritical if I took issue all those times Malkin was out and had to come back and just take whatever was not tied down and not do the same for Crosby.

I kinda doubt that's the plan, regardless.

I think the situation is complicated by the fact that the type of wingers Sid prefers to play with are the type of wingers Geno now is best suited to play with. As I said, the days of puck retriever and sniper as the model have passed, and Malkin is best suited to play with two faster, north south players.

And, as I keep saying, if only the Pens had a GM who could leverage the dilemma into an advantage.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think the situation is complicated by the fact that the type of wingers Sid prefers to play with are the type of wingers Geno now is best suited to play with. As I said, the days of puck retriever and sniper as the model have passed, and Malkin is best suited to play with two faster, north south players.

And, as I keep saying, if only the Pens had a GM who could leverage the dilemma into an advantage.

I don't disagree. Though that should only make things easier, if anything.

This forward group is almost there but the top six, as it often seems like, still has a hole or two in it.

It would be funny to finally start serving Sid and Geno at this late date in their careers, no?

Reactions: KIRK

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Maybe this until a trade/injury?

McCann-Crosby-Kahun
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Galchenyuk-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

Bottom 6 play 3a/3b depending on form, situation etc.

I mean the lines are pretty fluid depending on form, injuries etc even during games. Wingers outside of Guentzel, Rust (and a lesser extent Hornqvist) don’t usually play big minutes at ES when in the top 6.
IF Bjugstad and that's a big IF can play to his optimal level or close to it, that would be a very deep and capable line up. That's a very well balanced and constructed group IMO.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Chucky - Crosby - Bjugstad
Kahun - Mccann - Horny
Zar - TB - Tanev
That type of construction of the lines would be a decent plan B maybe. But McCann is really not all that proficient on faceoffs. And generally speaking you want a good faceoff guy as third line pivot. Beyond that the big question mark there is how the Crosby line would function. But the other lines seem really solid.

Reactions: ownal

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Yeah, this is what I think the situation is. They'll just slide Bjugstad into that spot when he's healthy in about a week, and then do a pretty big change to the forward group when Sid gets back. I wouldn't be surprised to see Galchenyuk moved out, McCann slid to LW and Crosby just put between McCann and Kahun when Crosby gets back.
I would probably agree...except for the fact that Crosby is supposed to be back before Bjugstad. I'm pretty sure that they are more concerned with structuring the team around Sid than they are around Bjugs.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
IF Bjugstad and that's a big IF can play to his optimal level or close to it, that would be a very deep and capable line up. That's a very well balanced and constructed group IMO.
I like that for this year, but that third line is way too expensive. Chucky's free agent status will solve part of that problem.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

What if I told you that Geno's level of dominance (GF% 65.12 - 17th; p/60 3.59 - 2nd) isn't all that different to the beatdown he put on the NHL in the first two months of 2018 (GF% 67.5 - 21; 3.5 p/60 - 5th)?

People focus on Geno's support and it is important but it starts and ends with him. When he's in the mood to put the team on his back and is truly dialled in, I'm not sure they're as important as some seem to think - of if they are, their skill level isn't the most vital thing.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What if I told you that Geno's level of dominance (GF% 65.12 - 17th; p/60 3.59 - 2nd) isn't all that different to the beatdown he put on the NHL in the first two months of 2018 (GF% 67.5 - 21; 3.5 p/60 - 5th)?

People focus on Geno's support and it is important but it starts and ends with him. When he's in the mood to put the team on his back and is truly dialled in, I'm not sure they're as important as some seem to think - of if they are, their skill level isn't the most vital thing.

Not surprising. He and Kessel were tearing it up for that brief window in 2018. Then it went down the shitter.

I just don't fully agree. It's obviously very much on the player first and I'm not making excuses for Geno. But who anyone skates with both on offense and defense makes a pretty big impact. If nothing else it goes a long way towards smoothing over inevitable struggles as the season goes along and providing a predictable comfort zone the entire line can fall back on. That's important. You don't want to be playing on pins and needles all season long not knowing if you can actually trust your linemates or not.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Geno unquestionably is the catalyst that makes it all go. That said guys like Rust and to a lesser extent Guentzel are such good 200ft players it only enhances Geno's game at both ends. And on the occasional ill advised draw pass Geno might try, they have the wherewithal and ability to cover up for him at times. Geno can shoulder a good bit of the burden, but having solid and structured players on his wing is a definite plus. The other variable to consider is that both Rust and Jake are very consistent when it comes to playing well away from the puck. And that can translate into Geno not trying to do too much (at both ends).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not surprising. He and Kessel were tearing it up for that brief window in 2018. Then it went down the ****ter.

I just don't fully agree. It's obviously very much on the player first and I'm not making excuses for Geno. But who anyone skates with both on offense and defense makes a pretty big impact. If nothing else it goes a long way towards smoothing over inevitable struggles as the season goes along and providing a predictable comfort zone the entire line can fall back on. That's important. You don't want to be playing on pins and needles all season long not knowing if you can actually trust your linemates or not.

Those were the two months Geno spent mostly with Hagelin and Hornqvist.

Maybe long term linemate quality plays out big, but for two month periods of form?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Maybe long term linemate quality plays out big, but for two month periods of form?

Ah, my mistake.

I try not to go for short term solutions that need constant and inevitable tweaking. I know you and others were big fans of the Geno/Hornqvist combo but that's a perfect illustration of a pairing that might work for a time but will inevitably falter. I like my franchise players to have a comfort zone so that they can be set up for the maximum level of success as they are the dudes that butter this team's toast, regardless of how some (not you) like to try to twist it. It also helps build chemistry and familiarity with each other's respective games.

Probably just a difference in philosophy, in the end.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Except in 2018, wasn’t he scoring more goals?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Hagelin was always quality when it came to meshing with Geno (as you’d know with their adv stats). Hornqvist really complemented them because Geno could hang back and let those two battle for pucks.
Geno hanging back helped the D and transition too.

Jake and Rust while not as good in the trenches as the above pair can control the play with the pucks on their sticks so Geno doesn’t have to get his body too dirty either.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Hagelin was always quality when it came to meshing with Geno (as you’d know with their adv stats). Hornqvist really complemented them because Geno could hang back and let those two battle for pucks.
Geno hanging back helped the D and transition too.

Jake and Rust while not as good in the trenches as the above pair can control the play with the pucks on their sticks so Geno doesn’t have to get his body too dirty either.
Hagelin trade was not one of HoF GMJR's better moves. Got nothing for him, and I think he would have fit nicely with this team.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad