The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc - Another day, another injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Any word on if Sid has practiced with the team yet? Hes been skating for a few weeks, figured he should be close to returning now.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Any word on if Sid has practiced with the team yet? Hes been skating for a few weeks, figured he should be close to returning now.

No he hasn’t...we’re all waiting...next practice should be Tuesday....

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I know cleared means cleared, but why not just hang on while the team is still rolling. I feel a hernia/core injury would benefit from longer rest. I constantly hear, more-so in football, players coming back and then re-injuring the same damn thing.

Reactions: BillPrep and Andy99

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
As for the "what to do when Sid comes back" question, I have to say that I am in the camp that hopes Sully will first try to put him between McCann and Kahun to give him a pair that should work out to his liking as well as working well as a pair already.... and allow Geno to continue wrecking havoc with what is currently a top 3 1st line in the league. And they should continue to be DEPLOYED like that.
That would mean we have a hot top6 and a shut down bottom 6 line that Sully really trusts, a trust that has truly been earned also.

Galchenyuk Bjugstad Horny seems to me an OK try and in terms of usage it would likely be more like the 4th. Find me a team with a comparable 4th line.... If Bjugstad is late returning, use Simon.

When/if JR gets a winger upgrade done, McCann can go back to C.

NB: I think Guentz will be with Sid though. And while I’m not super cool with it... it’ll be OK.​

Reactions: BillPrep

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I know cleared means cleared, but why not just hang on while the team is still rolling. I feel a hernia/core injury would benefit from longer rest. I constantly hear, more-so in football, players coming back and then re-injuring the same damn thing.

Worst injury in sports. Or anyone thats active period. Luckily for them they get one of the few Drs in the world who can fix it tho.

Sid will know how he feels. He has to try it out by playing anyway so...

Could play a few games and then maybe a few off. If that is the case, dont think it's a setback. Its just them working him in. And making sure nothing does go wrong . But you have to try at some point and it has been long enough.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Don't worry, we'll never be healthy.

Lol

I swear Pitt is cursed ever since both the Steelers and Pens won in 2009. Every year filled with injuries to both teams....

Finally (at least for Pens) we had two seasons where we won the cup anyway(could have easily lost due to Letang injury for that second cup but Guentzel/Murray took over). For the Steelers...never had the coaching to overcome injuries the last 8 years and counting now. Not just the typical ones that every team gets either but to players we cant replace.

Alot of non Pitt fans talk about how lucky we've been to have Sid/Geno/Mario/Jagr and that is true. But then I look at all time pt totals and see how guys like OV, Gretzky, etc never missed a game. Our 4 players could/should be at the top in scoring but missed so much time. 5 cups so far is a good consolation.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
As for the "what to do when Sid comes back" question, I have to say that I am in the camp that hopes Sully will first try to put him between McCann and Kahun to give him a pair that should work out to his liking as well as working well as a pair already.... and allow Geno to continue wrecking havoc with what is currently a top 3 1st line in the league. And they should continue to be DEPLOYED like that.
That would mean we have a hot top6 and a shut down bottom 6 line that Sully really trusts, a trust that has truly been earned also.

Galchenyuk Bjugstad Horny seems to me an OK try and in terms of usage it would likely be more like the 4th. Find me a team with a comparable 4th line.... If Bjugstad is late returning, use Simon.

NB: I think Guentz will be with Sid though. And while I’m not super cool with it... it’ll be OK.​

Would love if our 3rd line could be AG - McCann - Kahun for playoffs. But you def try to see who fits with Sid the best first.

Right now Id leave that line alone other than swapping PH for Kahun. and leave the Geno line.. Try Sid with Kahun and Bjugstad. First off, I think Kahun can be Crosby's Rust and what hes been wanting out of Rust/Simon these past 3 years. Kahun has the finish that Simon doesnt and that Rust didnt "while with Sid". For some reason he was much better when away from the top line. Who knows if thats changed now but we dont need to find out anyway, Geno/Rust duo for life.

We could have....

Crosby/Kahun
Malkin/Rust
McCann/Galchenyuk
Blueger/Tanev

As our duos , down the lineup. Thats better than we ever had imo. And those would be our best duos, we've already seen the bottom 3 gel the most out of any other player they were paired up with.

And not even including Guentzel and Hornqvist. Or Bjugstad. Keep Jake with Malkin for This year. Can always switch it up later on at any point if we go thru a rough patch or in a tough series where we are struggling against a certain matchup. Since Rust is better on his right..and PH is only a RW, if Bjugstad doesnt work with Sid/Dom then put Horny there and a 3rd line of AG/McCann/Bjugstad. Two players that werent a "fit" here that could end up working and be a line that shocks all of us. All 3 have a solid shot when they use it. All 3 have their isssues. None of them rely on speed so that wouldn't impact the line. And they arent a liability on D. And all 3 are centers. An awkward looking line that could end up being great.

So could see...

Kahun - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Galchenyuk- McCann- Bjugstad
Zar/Angello - Blueger - Tanev

Thats assuming we make no moves at all. Which I doubt. Left Simon off since he should 100% be traded. The guy has played with Sid for 17 games and gotten special treatment from Sully yet never scores and is a team worst -4 while supposedly being a future selke award winner. And so there's no forcing him on line 1. We can't have another playoffs with that. Kahun would do great there. So glad we traded Maatta for him so we can give Sid the player hes always wanted. And avoid watching others struggle so much on that right side.

Look out for Angello being the WBS player who ends up earning the spot in the lineup come playoff time. He has it all. If he can remain this consistent, we are gonna be even better. Wouldnt shock me to see them put him with Crosby and Kahun. Giving them that 6'4 winger whos physical and has speed/skill. A great shot, high IQ who is always around the net and there to tip in those rebounds. Already 23 years old with this being his 2nd year in AHL too. So dont need to worry about him not being ready. Hes been on a year lately for WBS. Now that we are getting healthier I like that they are waiting on calling him up. Can wait another month(gives us time to try to see what Bjugstad can bring) then call him up in Feb. Just in time for the final stretch of games and playoffs. Hes someone we could have used in that Caps series and what JR has wanted.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I would bet our savings Guenztel will be back with Crosby at some point this season.

A coach would be a fool to break up the Malkin line now as I’ve already discussed. However, Sullivan will be looking for any reason to get Crosby back with G.

If Malkin’s line has a bad game, Sullivan will be all over switching the lines to “jump start” things and that will be his excuse for reuniting them.

I won’t completely blame Sullivan when it happens though, just politics.

I don’t think Crosby will lobby for Guentzel either, he doesn’t seem like that kind of guy.

It’s just well known Crosby is the face of the franchise and Sullivan knows that.

Just a thing that doesn’t need to be said and Sullivan has to try and deftly maneuver that minefield without upsetting either of his two star pivots.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I would bet our savings Guenztel will be back with Crosby at some point this season.

A coach would be a fool to break up the Malkin line now as I’ve already discussed. However, Sullivan will be looking for any reason to get Crosby back with G.

If Malkin’s line has a bad game, Sullivan will be all over switching the lines to “jump start” things and that will be his excuse for reuniting them.

I won’t completely blame Sullivan when it happens though, just politics.

I don’t think Crosby will lobby for Guentzel either, he doesn’t seem like that kind of guy.

It’s just well known Crosby is the face of the franchise and Sullivan knows that.

Just a thing that doesn’t need to be said and Sullivan has to try and deftly maneuver that minefield without upsetting either of his two star pivots.

cb93d4a4-22bb-499e-9d62-0ed5c356154a_screenshot.jpg

Reactions: BillPrep

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Well, if he's playing, I just hope Crosby is willing to buy into the team concept. :sarcasm:

You know how lazy Nova Scotians are....They can't help it.

@ronjeremyshair

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Tomlin's three playoff victories since SB XLV have been against quarterbacks named AJ McCarron, Matt Moore and Alex Smith. Stellar.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would legitimately feel pretty bad for Crosby if he came back after all this and had to skate between those two. They are fine enough players in their own right but... yeah.

Reactions: canadianguy77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad