The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Lines, etc - Another day, another injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
cb93d4a4-22bb-499e-9d62-0ed5c356154a_screenshot.jpg

I have no favorite players on the Pens since Kovy retired, so I have no real bias with Malkin or Crosby. Never have, never will.

I was harsh on Malkin in the off season because I heard he wasn’t buying into the system and it was pretty apparent on the ice last season as well.

However, I’m really happy with how he’s playing now, but I’m not going to go all PC and pretend that Malkin and Crosby are viewed as complete equals in the org.

Every great sports org has their top dog, and that’s just how it is.

As I mentioned, this isn’t Crosby’s fault and I won’t be mad at Sullivan when the inevitable eventually happens.

I just hope and do believe Sullivan will make the very sound decision to keep riding the Malkin line until it struggles some.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Well, if he's playing, I just hope Crosby is willing to buy into the team concept. :sarcasm:

I dont see how he wouldn't.

There's zero reason to split the Geno line right now(and I usually want Sid to get as many points as possible, even over Malkin). You dont break that up unless you have to. And we have multiple other options to try first before getting to that.

I do think Malkin and Rust dont "need" Jake tho and that's the great thing about this. Theres no 3rd wheel on that line. So if we cant find a perfect duo for Sid, then yeah put Guentzel there. But I think Kahun should be able to fill that role. Prob with that is, expect his numbers to go way up(remember, I told you that they took AG away to help prevent McCann and Kahun from the pace they were on, headed towards 70-80 pts lol).

Just something theyll have to accept, if Kahun does start producing close to a ppg with Sid then thats gonna cost an extra few mil a year. Im sure JR already tried, but would be nice to have Kahun extended already for 5x3 or something around there. Since he will be UFA in 2021, already being 24 years old.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Blandisi seems like a placeholder for Bjug who I think comes back in a game or two. There will be a bit of shuffling when Sid returns.

Yeah, this is what I think the situation is. They'll just slide Bjugstad into that spot when he's healthy in about a week, and then do a pretty big change to the forward group when Sid gets back. I wouldn't be surprised to see Galchenyuk moved out, McCann slid to LW and Crosby just put between McCann and Kahun when Crosby gets back.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why exactly? It’s pretty much Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz ala 19-20.

It's pretty clear that for whatever reason Crosby isn't wild about lining up next to Hornqvist, first of all. And Simon, while Crosby likes him, has some pretty obvious warts as a top six player.

It's a tricky situation. I'm not even saying that you necessarily break up G.G. Rustin right away. Only that I don't think that hypothetical line is setting up Crosby that well. And I frankly would feel pretty hypocritical if I took issue all those times Malkin was out and had to come back and just take whatever was not tied down and not do the same for Crosby.

I kinda doubt that's the plan, regardless.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pretty obvious to me that Sid is going to get Simon and Horny when he first gets back.

Well like I said the only good thing is that it may finally force Sid to shoot more. We all know hed have 50 goals a year if he wanted to. Refusal to shoot when its the better scoring chance than passing it, has been the only annoying thing about him.

If he comes back and has to play with Simon and Hornqvist...we may see 6-7 shots a game, getting at least 1 goal. If Theres one Center we can get by with having our worst wingers its him.

Like the year he finished with 45g 40a.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's pretty clear that for whatever reason Crosby isn't wild about lining up next to Hornqvist, first of all. And Simon, while Crosby likes him, has some pretty obvious warts as a top six player.

It's a tricky situation. I'm not even saying that you necessarily break up G.G. Rustin right away. Only that I don't think that hypothetical line is setting up Crosby that well. And I frankly would feel pretty hypocritical if I took issue all those times Malkin was out and had to come back and just take whatever was not tied down and not do the same for Crosby.

I kinda doubt that's the plan, regardless.

It has been implied Sid asks to play with Simon. He has played with Hornqvist for small stretches as well.

Simon and Hornqvist is no worse than Kunitz / Sheary and Hornqvist which won us a cup. Which I’m sure is all Sid cares about.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dont see how he wouldn't.

It's a joke made at the expense of all the lovely individuals who have totally been paying attention the last decade questioning whether or not Malkin would "buy in" this year and then doubled down on the same question while he was injured.

It has been implied Sid asks to play with Simon. He has played with Hornqvist for small stretches as well.

Simon and Hornqvist is no worse than Kunitz / Sheary and Hornqvist which won us a cup. Which I’m sure is all Sid cares about.

I guess the quality level between players (especially taking into consideration how long in the tooth Kunitz was at that point) is about the same. Crosby can make LOTS of things work... if he has to. I'd rather they have more punch available for BOTH top centers. Guess we'll see. Obviously not much to bitch about currently, regardless.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

I hope we don't stick Sid with those two. I have nothing against Horny but those two surrounding Crosby does not scream effective to me. If Horny is going back to Crosby for yet another short term stint...then the LW needs to be McCann or someone with a bit more finish.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

To maximise Hornqvist with Sid you’d want a shooter on the other wing. That ain’t Simon.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I always thought it was a vastly overblown ability by the armchair coaching crowd but how in the world is Malkin sitting at nearly 10% over his regular pace in the circle? That's kinda nuts. He put in a lot of work in that area over the Summer or something?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I still want Kahun to get a decent shot with Sid. Though maybe it's best to do it once Guentzel is on the other side instead of Simon or Horny.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I still want Kahun to get a decent shot with Sid. Though maybe it's best to do it once Guentzel is on the other side instead of Simon or Horny.

I like the idea of McCann-Crosby-Kahun.

Does Kahun have a better side or is he pretty interchangeable? I haven’t really noticed.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I like the idea of McCann-Crosby-Kahun.

Does Kahun have a better side or is he pretty interchangeable? I haven’t really noticed.
Yep, that'd work for me also. That has the makings of a very solid and capable 200ft line. McCann and Kahun are a very nice combo IMO. Adding a player like Sid gives it a good blend of speed, tenacity and talent.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I think we will eventually see Kahun Malkin Rust

Kahun isn’t Guentzel but he has many of the same attributes, while being more shifty with the puck IMHO.

It isn’t exactly cloning that line, but it’s probably about as close as they can get given the current roster.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think we will eventually see Kahun Malkin Rust

Kahun isn’t Guentzel but he has many of the same attributes, while being more shifty with the puck IMHO.

It isn’t exactly cloning that line, but it’s probably about as close as they can get given the current roster.
I hadn't thought of that, but I'm cool with that too. I mean you just can't clone that line with what we have, so we have to take what we can get once we split it back up. And eventually I think you will have to barring a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad