The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
OOF.

Yeah, Petts should get to 10-15% of that point (relative to where he's currently at). Quest for 190.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Here's the updated GF/GA/xGF% for D-Pairs:

At Evens:

7246a0904161922873f10a95a0e11722.png

All Strengths:

2a8b12de4fe964c3001f83c9ba5c1a73.png

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Here's the updated GF/GA/xGF% for D-Pairs:

At Evens:

7246a0904161922873f10a95a0e11722.png

All Strengths:

2a8b12de4fe964c3001f83c9ba5c1a73.png

Riikola-Letang not having a GF seems to be a problem especially when close to 80% O zone starts but we are losing games right now so someone needs to switch with JJ.

Winning can make something bad acceptable, losing 4 in a row can’t.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
According to Sabres fans he's much better on the wing. He can play centre if really needed, but you probably don't want him there. Besides, McCann is a much better 3C than Rod.

Assuming Jake is still injured come playoff time:

Zucker - Sid - Tanev
Marleau - Geno - Rust
Sheary - McCann - Hornqvist
Simon/Rod - Blueger - Lafferty
It's so weird to me that Sully hasn't tried Tanev much with Crosby, what has been the actual minutes of those two together and their ice time?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's so weird to me that Sully hasn't tried Tanev much with Crosby, what has been the actual minutes of those two together and their ice time?

10 minutes (their numbers where terrible short samples though).

Tanev was on an awesome shutdown line and he likes to carry the puck so I think Sid would absolutely hate that idea.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Those on-ice results tell me the D pairs should be:

Dumoulin-Letang
JJ-Marino
Pettersson-Schultz

But the problem is that neither JJ or Schultz should be in the Penguins top-4. Maybe ride the hell out of the 1st pair and treat the 2nd and 3rd pairs as equal pairs, but not true 2nd pairs?

To me, those D pairs and these forward lines should be the plan for now is:

1. Sheary with Crosby and Zucker and Hornqvist alternating
2. Rust with Malkin with Zucker and Marleau alternating
3. McCann and Simon with Marleau and Hornqvist alternating
4. Tanev-Blueger-Rodrigues

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Dumoulin-Letang
JJ-Marino
Pettersson-Schultz

But the problem is that neither JJ or Schultz should be in the Penguins top-4. Maybe ride the hell out of the 1st pair and treat the 2nd and 3rd pairs as equal pairs, but not true 2nd pairs?
Or Pets-Marino and ride the hell out of your top two pairs so you only have to shelter one pair? Reminds me of Nashville the year we played them in the cup, their third pairing was averaging 12-15 a night during the playoffs.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Dumoulin-Letang
JJ-Marino
Pettersson-Schultz

What Chicago did during their last cup run was to ride the top 4 hard. So you stick your 4 best together and ride them.

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Schultz

With the caveat that if the bottom pairing is too shit to play at all, you start swapping in Riikola or even Ruhwedel if Schultz is horrendous. So right now you’d want them getting a look at Riikola-Schultz because we know Johnson-Schultz/Ruhwedel is bad and we’ve seen a decent amount of Riikola-Ruhwedel. But that would require actual accountability and turning to Sullivan’s least favourite, which means J-S as the bottom pairing. Anyway, you stack the top 4 and ride them.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We have to find a way to keep Riikola in the lineup. He's not perfect, and he may not even be good, but he's markedly better than several other options we have.

I also think JJ's been much better with Marino this season than Petts has. As weird as that is to say.

Dumo-Letang
JJ-Marino
Petts-Riikola

We won't, but we should.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Dumoulin-Letang
JJ-Marino
Pettersson-Schultz

To me, those D pairs and these forward lines should be the plan for now is:

1. Sheary with Crosby and Zucker and Hornqvist alternating
2. Rust with Malkin with Zucker and Marleau alternating
3. McCann and Simon with Marleau and Hornqvist alternating
4. Tanev-Blueger-Rodrigues
What did Riikola do to you, are you Mike Sullivan?

Reactions: LOGiK

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Looks like this team is in a free fall. At best, one and done in the playoffs. If Crosby does not win another cup, is he a hall of famer? After all, other players did the heavy lifting during the out her cup runs. Personally, I am on the fence.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We have to find a way to keep Riikola in the lineup. He's not perfect, and he may not even be good, but he's markedly better than several other options we have.

I also think JJ's been much better with Marino this season than Petts has. As weird as that is to say.

Dumo-Letang
JJ-Marino
Petts-Riikola

We won't, but we should.

JJ-Riiko's results actually aren't all that bad.
Let's stack em up:

Dumo-Letang
Marino-JS
MP/JJ-Riiko

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Looks like this team is in a free fall. At best, one and done in the playoffs. If Crosby does not win another cup, is he a hall of famer? After all, other players did the heavy lifting during the out her cup runs. Personally, I am on the fence.
This is a joke, right?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
JJ-Riiko's results actually aren't all that bad.
Let's stack em up:

Dumo-Letang
Marino-JS
MP/JJ-Riiko
Boy do I hate the idea of playing Marino on his off side in order to appease a defenseman that's been garbage for almost 3 years now. :laugh:

Schultz sucks, in every zone. Petts sucks in every zone too, but he plays LD. JJ sucks above the bottom pairing where he's getting sheltered minutes--except when being buoyed by Marino. Ruh's an AHL guy who shouldn't be getting legit minutes.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Boy do I hate the idea of playing Marino on his off side in order to appease a defenseman that's been garbage for almost 3 years now. :laugh:

Schultz sucks, in every zone. Petts sucks in every zone too, but he plays LD. JJ sucks above the bottom pairing where he's getting sheltered minutes--except when being buoyed by Marino. Ruh's an AHL guy who shouldn't be getting legit minutes.

JS can atleast make a first pass when he's "plays well" atm. Something MP can't do.
I play my best 4 puck moving defenseman in the top 4.
Figure it out.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
JS can atleast make a first pass when he's "plays well" atm. Something MP can't do.
I play my best 4 puck moving defenseman in the top 4.
Figure it out.
I dunno, man. I think Schultz might be the worst of the bunch. And that's something, because I've been raking Petts over coals all season for his rough play.

I'd legit rather run Riikola/JJ-Marino and JJ/Riikola-Ruh as our 2nd and 3rd pairs than play Schultz in a prominent role and force Marino to his off side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad