The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The forwards were fine, imo. Obviously Marleau was a solid depth pickup--no idea where the Buffalo guys fit or why the Buffalo trade happened though.

Everything hinges on how Marino and Dumo look when returning from injury and how Jarry plays.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Assuming Jake is ready for round one

Zucker - Sid - Sheary
Guentzel - Geno - Rust
Marleau - McCann - Hornqvist
Simon - Blueger - Tanev

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson/Riikola - Schultz

Jarry
Murray

Extras : Rodrigues, ZAR, Bjugstad and Ruhwedel

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Have you not read the thread?

Taken to another thread, but I just want you to know that I have no issues with you. I just think your logic and arguments are lacking but am still looking for examples where you're correct over an NHL GM's decision.

While you certainly have a minority view on how the Pens should operate, and I do not fully disagree with it, I just think you should take a less absolute stance. I hate to take a fully @ColePens stance on things because of far too optimistic reasons, but I THINK I get where you come from. You should be more open to other ideas. For instance:

I wanted Yakupov on the Pens years ago, but that wasn't the hill I was going to die on.

A certain amount of fisticuffs is needed, but shouldn't be a priority.

Just because a player showed flashes of brilliance in the Juniors does not mean that translates to the NHL. Same in the AHL.

There's posters here who watch our prospects more than you and I think you should take their word on their evaluations. I get you watch the AHL but we have posters here who are essentially paid scouts.

Look, if we listened to my opinion on hockey players we'd still have Johannes Salomonsson and Jonathan Filewich on the team.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Taken to another thread, but I just want you to know that I have no issues with you. I just think your logic and arguments are lacking but am still looking for examples where you're correct over an NHL GM's decision.

While you certainly have a minority view on how the Pens should operate, and I do not fully disagree with it, I just think you should take a less absolute stance. I hate to take a fully @ColePens stance on things because of far too optimistic reasons, but I THINK I get where you come from. You should be more open to other ideas. For instance:

I wanted Yakupov on the Pens years ago, but that wasn't the hill I was going to die on.

Just because a player showed flashes of brilliance in the Juniors does not mean that translates to the NHL. Same in the AHL.

There's posters here who watch our prospects more than you and I think you should take their word on their evaluations. I get you watch the AHL but we have posters here who are essentially paid scouts.

Look, if we listened to my opinion on hockey players we'd still have Johannes Salomonsson and Jonathan Filewich on the team.

In summary: admit that you've been wrong and that you might be wrong sometimes. Not you Randy (you ain't never wrong), but you get the idea.

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

Reactions: Rust17

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I think if you read my posts Randy, I have repeatedly stated that JR & Sully could make me look like a fool this season. Maybe Sully's way still works best for this team and in this era of the NHL., I for one will be more than happy to do a mea culpa on the board.. though most won't want to hear it.

As far as Yakupov..... My only point was that it would be a low risk /possibly high reward move. For a team that trades away all of their assets, this is the type of moves they should consistently try. That's it.... Colepens pointed to a few post where I was using hyperbole to talk smack regarding Yak...... for fun. I like having a good time..... sorry.

I still stand by that opinion that Yak would have been a cheap pickup and worth the limited risk.... and most likely failed. But if he HIT.... wow.. .. you just added a kid that oozes a skillset that players like ZAR can only dream of having. I should also note that part of my problem is that I come from a different era of hockey. Talent ruled over systems... so yes... I may have a big blindspot with today's game.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I think it really all depends on Guentzel’s status. Dumo and Marino should come back before the playoffs start.

With Guentzel,
Zucker-Crosby-whoever
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
That’s one of the best top six in the league, esp G-M-R was pure domination.

Without Guentzel, Marleau or McCann in the top six or moving Rust to left side to fit Horny just not going to cut it in the playoffs.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think if you read my posts Randy, I have repeatedly stated that JR & Sully could make me look like a fool this season. Maybe Sully's way still works best for this team and in this era of the NHL., I for one will be more than happy to do a mea culpa on the board.. though most won't want to hear it.

As far as Yakupov..... My only point was that it would be a low risk /possibly high reward move. For a team that trades away all of their assets, this is the type of moves they should consistently try. That's it.... Colepens pointed to a few post where I was using hyperbole to talk smack regarding Yak...... for fun. I like having a good time..... sorry.

I still stand by that opinion that Yak would have been a cheap pickup and worth the limited risk.... and most likely failed. But if he HIT.... wow.. .. you just added a kid that oozes a skillset that players like ZAR can only dream of having. I should also note that part of my problem is that I come from a different era of hockey. Talent ruled over systems... so yes... I may have a big blindspot with today's game.

I don't read all your posts. But, I do think this post paints a better picture of what you wanted. On the other hand, I do think you harped on the Yakupov boat for too long. After a season or two I would think someone would get the idea that the team moved on to a different direction.

Like, we're all just people with keyboards. I didn't want Malone gone and I thought the Pens should've signed Hossa at all expenses. I was proven wrong faster than others (which probably helped), but I'm not still complaining about that Caputo trade.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think it really all depends on Guentzel’s status. Dumo and Marino should come back before the playoffs start.

With Guentzel,
Zucker-Crosby-whoever
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
That’s one of the best top six in the league, esp G-M-R was pure domination.

Without Guentzel, Marleau or McCann in the top six or moving Rust to left side to fit Horny just not going to cut it in the playoffs.

Jake has a serious shoulder injury and plan for him not to return for the POs is what I’m hearing...

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I don't read all your posts. But, I do think this post paints a better picture of what you wanted. On the other hand, I do think you harped on the Yakupov boat for too long. After a season or two I would think someone would get the idea that the team moved on to a different direction.

Like, we're all just people with keyboards. I didn't want Malone gone and I thought the Pens should've signed Hossa at all expenses. I was proven wrong faster than others (which probably helped), but I'm not still complaining about that Caputo trade.

I did... but that's me.. I just hate the mob mentality that life has and the internet has times 10. I probably went overboard at times, but tis it nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... or to take arms against a sea of troubles........and by opposing... end them? To DIE

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I did... but that's me.. I just hate the mob mentality that life has and the internet has times 10. I probably went overboard at times, but tis it nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... or to take arms against a sea of troubles........and by opposing... end them? To DIE

A parade of horribles

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The forwards were fine, imo. Obviously Marleau was a solid depth pickup--no idea where the Buffalo guys fit or why the Buffalo trade happened though.

Everything hinges on how Marino and Dumo look when returning from injury and how Jarry plays.

The tanev line is a good third line for a playoff team.

the tanev line is ideally a fourth line for a cup contender.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Honestly, this forward group is very similar to the b2b cup winners. Obviously misses Jake, but still a lot of speed and puck-winning ability. I would be shocked if we didn’t absolutely dummy some teams by overwhelming them with the forecheck, which is something we’ve been missing for a while

I also can't wait for us to generate 40 shots per game but only be able to score 1 or 2 goals because of their inability to aim their shots. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Andy99

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Assuming Jake is ready for round one

Zucker - Sid - Sheary
Guentzel - Geno - Rust
Marleau - McCann - Hornqvist
Simon - Blueger - Tanev

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Marino
Johnson/Riikola - Schultz

Jarry
Murray

Extras : Rodrigues, ZAR, Bjugstad and Ruhwedel

Insane depth at FWD, I think Rodrigues is going to surprise. He's got speed and skill and has a solid shot.
Fingers crossed on Guentzel being healthy for the play-offs.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just hope all are in practice before the Kings game. I can't stand another terrible Sully quote. Evan should have taken #27. It's a good number. No one important has it right now.

Reactions: Dominance

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I feel like the Buffalo trade happened because Kahun was going to command too much money to resign and yet, wasn't meshing as well in the top 6 as we wanted. :dunno:

I am going to be annoyed as f*** if we re-sign Sheary though.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The tanev line is a good third line for a playoff team.

the tanev line is ideally a fourth line for a cup contender.

That's like saying "Oh Lemieux - Francis - Jagr's okay as a first line, but what you ideally need is Stevens - Lemieux - Jagr." Both are absurdly good lines on a cup contender.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's definitely possible Guentzel is back this year, so I don't know why anyone would talk down on people who thinks he may be back. Literally no one here knows Guentzel's current situation, his recovery window was 4-6 months and 4 months has him back for the 3rd round in the playoffs. It is certainly possible.

I feel like the Buffalo trade happened because Kahun was going to command too much money to resign and yet, wasn't meshing as well in the top 6 as we wanted. :dunno:

I am going to be annoyed as f*ck if we re-sign Sheary though.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the Penguins are considering Poulin for a NHL spot next year. The Kahun trade does open up a top-9 winger spot for next year.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the Penguins are considering Poulin for a NHL spot next year. The Kahun trade does open up a top-9 winger spot for next year.

I had the same, again speculation!, thought Emp. Plus the fact that this org didn’t trade either Legare or Poulin despite them being good trade chips. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad