The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I assume everyone will bounce back and that will coincide with the defence getting healthy

Defence being healthy would help. Having a real 4th line would help. Still think Sid getting back to full fitness will help more, that being my new theory after realising the team's possession stats went south the moment he came back. And... tbh, I think the team as a whole has just let itself slip a little. Saw Sid back and relaxed thinking they were safe, allowed themselves a month or so of playing crap hockey, maybe got a little too out of shape on the bye week... and there went the little details between dominating and surviving.

But this team will bounce back. Except for the goaltenders, who are already playing great and saving our skins regularly.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Where did I ever say that it's fine to just say "ZAR sucks because I say he sucks" or "Letang is useless because I say he's useless"? You're arguing against a strawman. Both sides make bad arguments, a good argument has all of analytics, the eye test and such. Me saying that people misuse analytics and make claims that a player is good based solely on the numbers doesn't mean that just pulling claims out of your ass and saying "I'm right because I say I'm right" is a strong argument.
I'm not saying that you think it's fine, but in general on this board a take based on analytics is treated far more harshly than one based on the eye test and nothing else.

More to the point, people here don't seem to get that we all watch the same f***ing games. An argument made here based "entirely on analytics" is one made by somebody who watches all the Penguins games too! The difference is that the general expectation of someone making an analytical claim is that they have to also integrate eye test stuff etc. while someone making an eye test statement is not expected to back their arguments up with stats.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not saying that you think it's fine, but in general on this board a take based on analytics is treated far more harshly than one based on the eye test and nothing else.

More to the point, people here don't seem to get that we all watch the same ****ing games. An argument made here based "entirely on analytics" is one made by somebody who watches all the Penguins games too! The difference is that the general expectation of someone making an analytical claim is that they have to also integrate eye test stuff etc. while someone making an eye test statement is not expected to back their arguments up with stats.

I think that's because analytics more often paint a more contrarian picture (compared to the accepted opinions of the board), so it will be received with more push back than if you posted something the board agreed with. Analytics are more harshly treated than something based solely on the eye test because saying "ZAR's great defensively based on his metrics" is further away from the accepted opinion of the board than "ZAR sucks dong".

You can point the opposite direction with Letang. People absolutely grill anyone who say Letang sucks on here, especially if you're a meme account that solely ****s on Letang. People take his analytics as gospel while grilling the guy who's saying "Letang sucks because he makes mistakes often". You see it happen that way too. I do think there are more people that treat analytics harshly, so your point isn't "wrong", but I view that as more going against the grain than "analytics are treated more harshly than the eye test".

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s so objective that any objection raised to analytics is automatically ignored if it’s in good faith. Real scientific methodology.

The number of objections raised in good faith vs the number of objections raised because it permits someone to avoid considering that they're wrong is a very subjective number.

And the number of objections raised with good faith trying to point to where the short comings in the analytics might be causing a misleading picture can generally be counted on the fingers of a blind butcher.

Reactions: JackFr and Turin

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I could discuss Simon for hours. No joke. Dude has a top 6 skill set. Hands/creativity that is epic and elite. He's putting together the rest of his game. If that dude can finish... he's legit a 5M player. But he definitely needs to work on finishing.

I'm not sure I agree with this mainly because he doesn't look anywhere near as dangerous when he's not on Sid's line. I think he's got enough tools to be a third wheel in the top six with the right center, but I think on his own (ie. if he's got a center like McCann or Blueger) he's more of a 3rd liner than a guy who can produce like a legit top sixer.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The number of objections raised in good faith vs the number of objections raised because it permits someone to avoid considering that they're wrong is a very subjective number.

And the number of objections raised with good faith trying to point to where the short comings in the analytics might be causing a misleading picture can generally be counted on the fingers of a blind butcher.

Good to know I’m a missing finger then, I suppose.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Good objection: I think ZAR’s defensive contributions don’t outweigh his inability to finish, even though his contributions look to be real, and he should be replaced with somebody who is more likely to score.

Bad objection: ZAR is Craig Adams and his defensive impact is a fluke and anybody who tells me otherwise is blindly following charts.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I have no clue what their splits look like for the last 2-3 weeks, but it feels like the “strong defensively” label was being erroneously applied
lately. It felt like they were getting dominated fairly often 5on5

Without looking i would think they havent been quite as good as earlier but not bad enough to mayerially change their season totals. If that makes sense

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
if you know something,,please share because 4-6 months was the recovery range so if you average that to 5 months that takes you to the SCF...
right now he could be doing itsy bitsy's. and seeing the tears stream down his face you would know that in a few days he will be bench pressing 500# keep the faith!

Reactions: Andy99

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Dumo is beyond concerning at this point. When did the team finally admit Letang was done for the year a couple years ago? Expecting the same here.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Good objection: I think ZAR’s defensive contributions don’t outweigh his inability to finish, even though his contributions look to be real, and he should be replaced with somebody who is more likely to score.

Bad objection: ZAR is Craig Adams and his defensive impact is a fluke and anybody who tells me otherwise is blindly following charts.

I agree...ZAR is Craig Adams is the laziest amateur analysis going on this messageboard. Its like "I only have watched one team and during the teams success and I'm going to use one offense inept 4th liner to another one because I have only watched one team for 10 years."

This is what we deal with way too often.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
....I was under the impression that the ZADams references were more that ZAR never gets demoted, benched, or healthy scratched despite being highly ineffective or flat out f***ing up.

More like a teacher's pet than just a washed up loser 4th liner.

Which Adams was both.

ZAR is a hockey player. But daaaaamn the leash is long. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad